• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Advise

Cornnuts

Any advice given would be great. I currently throw mostly fairway drivers and lower, minus a few speed 10 discs that I feel are more comfortable. This was a beat dx wraith that I was throwing on the off chance it decided to go swimming. I normally throw the mid-ranges, Fugitive and Sharks, around 275. The Fairways, Escape mainly and I just recently got a River, out to 300 consistently and up to 350 on rare occasion. I would just like some outside opinions on my throw.

EDIT: Spelling is a one of my strengths!

Last edited:
I notice a couple things, though I'm no expert. Your X step is okay, I don't go backwards into it, I do it sideways. Idk if that's something, but I could see you hurting your knee by having your first step that steps over. Picture the teepad is a clock. 12 being the front of the tee pad. Your first small step is 12 oclock, your second step that you turn your body with, your step is at like 7-8 oclock. Which causes your back foot to twist which makes an awkward movement for your knees and probably hinders your momentum.

I question your pull through, but I've been having trouble with mine, so I can't comment on that as someone else could. I like your follow through though. I like you switching hands on the hyzer and holding it up haha.

what I see are a few things. I agree that you're causing an awful lot of unneeded torque on your knee. What's causing this is you're turning into the twist too early. Your torso should only start to turn away from your target as your left foo begins to cross behind your right. By doing it too early you're losing alot of the load that you would normally be using to pushing though your throw. try to keep your body from turning too early and make sure your legs and body and arm all move as one. Right now they are moving as separate pieces

your pull is pretty good, the only thing I would say about that is to keep your chin up. With your head down and not looking toward your target the disc seemed to leave your hand a little early, and that is prolly why you find throwing understable discs a lil easier, due to that fact they wil ride up out of the early hyzer and turn. Just something to keep in mind.

The big issue I see is your last step. WAY TOO LONG lol. You really don't need to extend your leg that far out. What that is doing is causing you to open up your hips too early, and therefore they are getting too far ahead of your torso and arms. Granted your hips should be moving before them, but they shouldn't be out in front. Your right knee and elbow should be in a line together, from x step and into the hit, moving together. Your hips will cause the whip of your arm and knee to come around to your release. If your hips are way out in front, your knee will open, and then you will bring your arm and torso around. You're losing a great deal of power that way, and if you add in the large step and already awkward pivoting, your knees are taking a great deal of punishment.

Your follow through is great though, don't lose that. You really throw through the hit point, which is good. Shorten your steps, tighten your x step, and make sure your body is moving all together as one unit, and you'll see big improvements. I would think.

I don't know a lot about this stuff, but it looks like you're pulling in to the rear pec, not the forward pec.

This info is good to hear, I would like to hear more, but this is way more than I had before i posted here so this is going well. I am going to try out some of those form adjustments, the x-step and hip problems. I find it interesting that you say that I might get knee trouble. I, at least for now, feel like this is the comfortable way to throw. I tore my pcl and really haven't had problems with that while throwing, more just walking up and down hills on the course lol. Thanks for the input and I'll post later about what happens throwing with these changes.

Agreed with all the above. You might want to try moving from the rear right of the tee to the front left, to help close the hips on the plant. Also stay more forward and then turn the hips back much later as you come down to plant. Your hips and shoulders are too open at the plant, so you have undone any elastic core coiling, killing core power, and also at least with the arm positioned the way it is, you physically can't get your elbow forward enough of the shoulder to get the disc in the power zone.
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165

Ok, so I threw some out in a field today. Wow it was interesting trying to change little things in your form, especially when they felt natural. I was trying to keep my head focused on the target and almost making my shoulder turn my head back, if that makes sense. When trying to delay my hip turn, it feels like I am rushing my arm movement. I don't know the best way to say that. The main problem was my inconsistency, but I am guessing that's just what happens with adjustments. I'm going to keep working on it, once again, thanks for the help.

It's going to feel like your arm is moving too fast, because of how out of sync your body was. Don't try to match your hips to anything, focus on matching your elbow and you knee (throwing side) up along your trow. The big factor is that your hips swivel and that causes both your knee and your elbow to come around as if there were a pole going through your elbow and attached to your knee. Make sense?