• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form check 1 month before first tournament

Having some trouble getting coach's eye to import with HD, but hopefully the quality is ok.

Finally figured out how to correct my stride, turns out my forward and backward pendulum swing caused my body to get off balance and reach back too far and strong arm it. With a lot of one legged, feet together, power of posture, door frame and crush the can brace drills. I also shortened my stride a bit, or at least I'm trying to. I feel much more compact and in control of the shot with my adjustment.

It's not perfect yet, but se below example as well as todays selected shots.

New vs old.

Here are todays videos with corrected form, I need some more sessions to cement it, but I'm not sure what to focus the most on.

Thunderbird and wraith, 390' and 380'' straight shot a bit to the right with late fade.

Tern and thunderbird, 420' and 410' mostly straight with some turn and late fade.

Shorten your x-step, you need to load/turn further into your rear hip/leg. Also I'd advise to keep the disc on the same plane as your shoulders, and moving your elbow only swinging from the shoulders swinging. There's too much lag/off plane movement between your elbow and shoulder, don't try to pull the disc forward with your elbow, use your shoulder/body to swing the elbow/lower arm like you would a sledgehammer/something heavy(toss one around). Watch the plane of the disc and Brinster's shoulder plane in previous vid, they always match //, When you are at reachback your disc and shoulders are X.

Yeah, shortening the x-step is a priority. Throwing shorter shots helped my x-step today, and I will continue to work on that. I noticed I plant almost open because of the long step and not getting much load into the can crush. With the loading of rear leg and shorter x-step, I'm guessing it will be easier for my front leg/knee to point more inward, the way that is really noticable in Shustericks form? The disc plane I've noticed before, but haven't really put much thought into it. I will experiment some and see how that works. Also bringing a hammer out soon. Thanks for your insight.

I need advice on how to shorten my steps and get more bent over the disc/pull lower. I almost think it's a mental thing. In living room it looks great, but when I'm in the field throwing I just try too hard to force the shots. As a result I stride too wide, reach too far back, plant foot open, not loading into the front ball of the foot before the can crush. My back foot is dragging instead of getting up.

Any advice or drills/videos or am I wrong about this analysis? Last advice was to turn more in the reach back. Am I throwing too sideways? Should I be more backward going into the brace?

You aren't loading into your rear leg properly, see door frame drills.

1st pic, see how Brinster's rear leg is stacked upright as the front foot begins to stride, his center of gravity is on his rear toes and rear hip turned back stacked over knee, ankle. Your rear leg is bent and rear hip over your toes, so your rear hip is not turned back enough to stack over your knee and ankle.

2nd pic, Brinster's hips are closed, front leg internally rotated to brace closed, your hips are open at the plant, the difference in the hips is massive. Also note how his rear foot is lower/angled, you have jumped up off your rear foot. Since you open into the plant, your arm has no room to swing through.

3rd pic, the finish, Brinster's feet are tangled between his center, rear leg countered throw. Your feet are inline walking a tight rope of balance.

Sorry for no slow motion, had a friend send me the footage, but if you drag the progress bar you can see it slower.

https://www.coachseye.com/v/Gw2v

1: Am I doing the one legged drill right? I think body is looking good for the most part rotation wise.

2: but my swing is not good, been struggling with it for a while. When I pull through, my disc goes a bit up towards my neck off angled and then down into the pocket. Not sure if the issue is my shoulder, or that I'm pulling too tight to my body or if I'm squeezing my disc too early so the angle is off. Any ideas?

sBOLQLa.png

1: Am I doing the one legged drill right?

2: but my swing is not good, been struggling with it for a while. When I pull through, my disc goes a bit up towards my neck off angled and then down into the pocket. Not sure if the issue is my shoulder, or that I'm pulling too tight to my body or if I'm squeezing my disc too early so the angle is off. Any ideas?
1. Nope. Not balanced totally on front leg and your front foot comes off the ground in the backswing. Get your rear heel up in the setup, and your front heel/weight should not leave the ground in the backswing. Your rear foot is too far back, bring it forward on the tee pad.

2/3. In your middle pic you have both heels on the ground, this is a no-no. Your elbow comes in/down too much off plane to your shoulders/spine. The disc should ideally match parallel to your shoulder plane and perpendicular to your spine, Brinster always maintains that.

Latest posts