• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Critique HELP PLEASE

Tvbeez

Hey guys!

Been trying to work on my form and get more consistency. I have noticed a few things myself...

Number on is that my wrist turns the disc vertical at the peak of the reach-back so that the top of the disc is facing me. This causes me to have to rotate it back to horizontal quickly before it gets to my chest. I've seen a few pros do this in their form, the most notable being Jeremy Koling. The issue I find it that it throws off my timing and causes the disc to wobble out of my hand.

Number two is that my reach-back is early. This is obvious and self explanatory. I'm trying to time if so that my reach-back peaks as my plant foot hits the ground.

Number three is that my balance may need to be shifted over my toes a bit more (maybe even significantly more?). Along with this it looks like my back foot may be pointed too far back and should be more parallel.

I'd appreciate anything you guys can tell me and help me with and I'm willing to put in the practice. I couldn't figure out how to post the attachments so here are the links to my form vids on YouTube.

Thanks again guys!

Tyler

Side View:

https://youtu.be/UMdS9H18Kec

Rear View:

https://youtu.be/bbtMZ_ygl2o

Looks like a lot of power potential, you have a great load up.

I personally would not worry about the disc tilt on the reach yet because it might not bother you once you fix some other stuff.

I agree with your other two points on timing and balance. Having the left foot angled back is limiting your move coming thru.

I think you're too crouched and your swing is too much of a spin. Would help your timing and shifting if you stood up taller onto your left foot before shifting laterally/slightly down to the plant and then tall again on release. Use gravity to make plant stride easier/less forced. Should help timing by slowing things down and getting some rhythm. Should also help you reach your brace via lateral motion as opposed to now where you kinda spin through it because thats all the backwards left foot will let ya do.

Final note would be that you are initiating your forward move of the disc by throwing your back and lead shoulder and your left side is dragging. AKA muscling. Maintain an upright torso and initiate with the left side. Left arm/shoulder get to the front and compress to initiate. Its a more mechanical way to get the move going, easier on the body.

Thank you for your prompt input! I really appreciate it! I'll definitely start practicing these points and then post another video in a few days or so. The left arm and muscling thing has been an issue for me since I started playing as it is for many new players. Probably why I usually max out around 380 on my best shots.

Also I was thinking about the rear leg thing last night too. I saw how a couple pros keep it straighter too compared to mine.. it's amazing how when practicing I feel like I'm trying something completely different but it looks the same when I watch the footage.

Anyways,

Thanks again for the feedback. Hopefully I'll be posting a much better throw in a week or so

Thank you for your prompt input! I really appreciate it! I'll definitely start practicing these points and then post another video in a few days or so. The left arm and muscling thing has been an issue for me since I started playing as it is for many new players. Probably why I usually max out around 380 on my best shots.

Also I was thinking about the rear leg thing last night too. I saw how a couple pros keep it straighter too compared to mine.. it's amazing how when practicing I feel like I'm trying something completely different but it looks the same when I watch the footage.

Anyways,

Thanks again for the feedback. Hopefully I'll be posting a much better throw in a week or so

Addressing the reachback timing: I really like the Simon Lizotte reachback, i.e. getting the arm to the "power pocket", disc near left pec and extending the elbow from there. For me it just really helps with the timing and the looseness of the arm. Lower arm gets extended for just a moment, then it folds in and swings back out. The "rubber band" slingshot that he mentions frequently.

Do you think it would help if my X-step was wider? So that I'm almost stepping back behind myself which might force me to push off my toes and keep my weight forward? Does that make sense? It looks like my legs are almost touching during my x-step to where they are exactly in line

Yeah, your left foot is stepping in the way of your right foot.

That looks better. Now less backwards crab walking. Do JRay lateral ladder drill above ^.