• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form critique please...

BradC

Eagle Member
Be rough guys, no thin skin here. I didn't read the best practices before having a friend video this, I will do better next time regarding proper video etiquette.

Hole is an uphill 330' hole (hole 13, long pin @ Sellersville, plays longer than that to me). Slightly beat Pro Destroyer thrown 80%ish, slight hyzer. I pulled this shot right and got some tree action, but it easily had the power to get pin high.

I used to have a lot of trouble keeping my plant foot perpendicular to the line of throw and would open up too early. It feels like I still do that but less so, but I am unsure if my timing on the hips is right.

I also feel like I didn't get enough shoulder turn.

Reach back wider from your body, and then bring the disc close to your chest in the elbow forward position. Get even like a 120 degree angle between right shoulder and arm at reachback so you have enough room to swing the disc straight through...it's hard to tell in this video but I think you're just not quite wide enough.

I also think your rear foot is spinning out rather than transferring momentum forward. Your rear heel lifts/spins upwards and your foot stays in place, rather than driving forward which would indicate you shifting your weight. Try to stay on the rear foot's instep, and maybe try planting your right foot a couple inches forward and maybe an inch or two left of where you have it, this might help you set up a good closed brace position to accept the weight from. Right now you are planting nearly directly under your hip (which I don't think is a bad thing though). Basically I can see some issues but I don't know how to suggest you best correct them.

Agree with Slowplastic; I've seen enough people post videos that I feel confident saying when the rear foot (left foot) is open then it makes it hard to push off the instep so your momentum goes up and causes tipping instead of driving your momentum across your chest/body/center of gravity and into the disc. I really try to keep my left leg as close to 90 degrees as possible during the X-step and into my stride so I can push off of it.

Aside from that, you're consciously reaching back instead of letting your body move around the disc. You want to keep the disc still over your left leg (after the X-step) and then stride, stride, stride, SSSSTTRRIIDDDEEEE to create your reach back. You're consciously extending your arm and it's throwing your timing off.

One last thing I see is with your left arm; it looks like you're starting your throw with your upper body (specifically your left elbow) and that's causing you to spin out on your heel. So, you're getting no weight shift because your upper body is doing all the work and you're not getting your weight into the throw at all.

I'm sure SW will have more to offer and more advice on where to start improving but I'll leave you with these two videos:

I slowed down the video on youtube and that really helped me see what's happening a bit more...

Another indicator you aren't getting a weight shift is that your right heel is down while there's still weight on your back foot/toes. Definitely not shifting weight into the brace, rather are just rotating around.

Latest posts