• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form help please!

Joemic

Par Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me some input on my form and technique. I have been throwing a mix of putters, mids, and fairway drivers. My highest speed disc is a PD. I typically throw on a football field and I can't seem to get my distance past a consistent 250'. I'm not sure what I can do to fix this, so I took a couple videos and would love to hear what you guys have to say!

http://vimeo.com/68146902

http://vimeo.com/68146901

Thanks!

P.s: I know I'm barefoot haha

I would have to say turning your hips and shoulders completely away from the basket to make sure you are getting both hip and shoulder rotation involved in your throw. It also looks like you are reaching around your body on your reach back (that should be solved by turning your hips and shoulders), try putting the disc away from your body a little bit more on your reach back

Thanks guys, I'll work on that. I guess I have a habit of trying to keep my eye on the target, thinking that my accuracy will be awful if I turn away from it. Gotta break that!

Completely understand that, but what might help is using the Tee beneath you as a reference (if the tee is pointing down the fairway correctly) by picking a line on the tee pad, and trying to keep the disc directly over that line during your entire throw. Might work, might not, but give it a try

it seems like you're trying to power through the throw a bit to fast. you're timing isnt that off but i think you're pulling back just a tad bit to early. although it maybe just because you're not getting enough reach back that it makes it look that way.

you need to get your body more in to it, you're all arm. you're to upright and although you have some weightshift you're not using it to turn your hips because they're never getting loaded on your reachback. all of that is making your pull come through more like a fan swing than a straight pull through your core. remember the disc has to stay on the line you've chosen going back and coming forward, though at the same time the disc is never really moving all that much it's you moving around it.

when you go in to your reachback and you get to the point where you normally pull forward take a slight pause and get that disc back farther so you're loading your hips, and think about getting 3/4 of your weight on your back foot. then when your plant foot comes down push through your legs and turn your hips and bring that disc straight through your core not accelerating until it gets right at the bottom of your right pec.

Went out to play today and worked on, at the very least, extending that reach back and focusing on turning all the way around. I was absolutely amazed at the increased accuracy. I play a pretty heavily wooded course, and I was right on the fairways and avoiding trees all round. Great tips, guys, thanks!

One thing I definitely still need to work on is using the rest of my body, as you said New. I tried to an extent, and was able to get my PD to fly straighter than ever. Now just need to up the distance!

That's awesome! It's always good to here when practice pays off, especially that fast!

Thanks guys, I'll work on that. I guess I have a habit of trying to keep my eye on the target, thinking that my accuracy will be awful if I turn away from it. Gotta break that!

I promise the basket won't move....very much...most of the time :D

Latest posts