• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form Help.

Should feel like walking and then standing on one leg and being able to maintain effortless balance forever. Your rear knee should end up forward hanging deadweight under the hip next to your front knee, and on your rear very tippy toes. Your address and finish position should be the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IFO7J3AV5Y&t=5m
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KVWfUkQ3s&t=194s

twoO771.png

Is it possible to get some sort of video on how to properly setup? I've came back to this about 5 times, and still can't t figure out how I'm supposed to stand, and how to tell I'm standing correctly.

The Shawn Clement videos seem to imply I'm somehow angled Into my front leg, but here I'm told to be over my front foot but not too far over it. I would like to think I can stand on one leg but it's apparent I cant :)

Yeah it's hard to just "stand correct" when you're guessing.

A way to try getting to the base position...
-stand absolutely upright, straight as a ruler with locked out legs, viewed from the side your whole body should try to be vertical above the heels. Feels not athletic.
-put slight bend in knees...should bring knees over instep of foot and butt goes back maybe even behind heels slightly. Spine still vertical
-bend at waist slightly so nose feels over toes

This should feel like your butt is now over your heels, knees over instep or toes depending on how much bend, and with a slight bend the nose is over toes...with more crouch/bend your upper spine should feel over your toes. Your body weight should feel distributed over your entire foot, and you should be able to hop up and down easily and catch yourself in balance easily without impact.

On one leg I agree with SW that it feels like you walk forward slowly, and just stop when you're on one leg. Other leg dangles underneath the other hip, toes down heel up. Can hop up and down easily on one leg in balance.

The angle/tilt will help you feel anchored and give you leverage to swing by putting your butt on the other side of the swing from your torso, watch the first 4ish minutes of this video. I'm not really sure when vertical one leg feel turns into this tilt setup...but I know when I have standstill setup or anything more than that, this tilted spine thing is how it feels. Tilted into the back leg on backswing with balance 100% on back leg, then tilted into front leg for the plant and forward swing.

I didnt get any film, so I know this wont be much help for the post

I am really struggling at the moment in the backhand department. I went from somehow strong arming 400', to really struggling to hit 350 it seems. Whats killing me, is that my X step doesnt provide any benefit for me. Im missing a fundamental piece here. My front foot throws today,350. My x step, 350.

Ive really started trying to just have a 'free wheeling' throw, full swing forward etc. I still have the same issue as before. I feel 0 leverage on my back side, so i have nothing to bring into my front side. My buddy throw silly far, and he tell me he feels like he is on a pitchers rubber for a second, I have never felt that. I keep reading about making a lateral move. I cant figure out how to move forward down the pad, while getting enough leverage on my left side to ever transfer it to my front side.

If anything, my x step makes things worse because I tend to fall forward while transitioning to my front foot, so the disc has to then round around my body, or I plant what feels 'straight' and grip lock that **** wayyyyy off to the right. I know its a balance/timing issue, but I cant seem to figure out how to get from my left leg to my right (lead leg) in a way that puts me into the 1 leg drill.

Last edited:
Can you do one leg drill on left leg? This is what it feels like to either RHFH or backswing for RHBH. The pitcher's rubber feeling/balance in the backswing makes sense, once you've felt it. I think you're looking to solve the right thing.

Last question. Any chance you get let me know a bit more about the setup/execution?

take a step forward onto my rear left, let my front foot just dangle on the inside toes. Full pump, and swing. Should I attempt to stay on my back leg through the follow through?

Last question. Any chance you get let me know a bit more about the setup/execution?

take a step forward onto my rear left, let my front foot just dangle on the inside toes. Full pump, and swing. Should I attempt to stay on my back leg through the follow through?

I love the elephant walk drill, it's a regular I tell people to try. It's at 4:40 of this video:
https://youtu.be/Y-KVWfUkQ3s?t=279

In elephant walk, you walk forward/normally. When you walk normally you just align yourself in balance, spine over leg. It's easy, you've done it your whole life. So this takes away needing to figure out how to maintain your balance when stepping sideways in an X-step.

Then when you watch closely, it's step onto a foot, weight the foot, THEN begin downswing. Weight doesn't get to the foot as the hammer is down, weight gets to the foot as hammer is at apex and you are on the leg for the entire swing downward and this powers/controls it up and to the other side.

So in elephant walk it is step with left foot, swing for backswing. Step with right foot, swing with forward swing. Repeat. Eventually you can let one of the forward swings be a throw. Also note how the plant is easily closed when stepping to right foot for forward swing.

When this is natural you can do this in place, just lifting heels or feet if necessary when the swing needs them to.

Also in X-step it's the same thing. Step sideways with right foot, then pump disc/arm forward. Step behind with left foot, then pump/backswing. Step forward with right foot. Plant. Throw.

I actually elephant walked today, but it doesn't translate once I start crossing my feet. Can't move forward while also getting weight into that back hip

I actually elephant walked today, but it doesn't translate once I start crossing my feet. Can't move forward while also getting weight into that back hip

I'd post video of elephant walk and rocking the swing forward and back in standstill, pendulum style...if you're comfortable with those then also add in an X-step. That way you can see at what stage it breaks down.

The key in the X-step is to make sure that the left foot step isn't too far, so that you are always inside of the foot. Got to wait until you're on the leg to turn back so that it feels right and in control...don't start backswinging before the leg is down and you are balanced on it.

And we just got 6" of snow. Going to see if I can find a way to swing this hammer somewhere.

Really trying to tear down and rebuild. I think I'm too engrained into my bad habits and strong arming to ever exceed that 375/400 area I've been in for a year

Really tried to do that hammer x step. Didn't get any video of the hammer stuff. But I definitely felt that at a certain point in the backsing it goes weightless and then u can pump it forward, like accelerating down a half pipe.

Good news. I have rear foot eversion for the first time in my life. Bad news, didn't 'feel Strong' . A lot of 200' worm burners, and 350 was max. I was able to get my putter and comet to 350, but same with my teebird and wraith.

I have noticed, I have a real bad habit of starting my xstep towards the left of the pad, and have a habit of ending up so closed I have to round around myself. I also have an issue of pulling to early because it feels more powerful.

https://youtu.be/xlzu_A4V1rI

https://youtu.be/5wTsp6tKcpc
https://youtu.be/Ut_CJnnI09I
https://youtu.be/5wTsp6tKcpc

You are turning backward too early/too far/behind your left foot in the backswing. So you aren't really loading back leveraged inside/forward of the rear foot. Do the Door Frame Drills and feel the door frame pulling your shoulders further back into the stride about to plant with your butt/weight leading away from the door frame.

So I get the feeling in df drill. But no idea how I'm supposed to achieve that in an x step?

I think your body/balance is the way of your backswing and your rear arm being out away from doesn't help anything. Note how much clearance my front hip/pelvis has from my toes in the mid backswing, so the disc is coming thru closer to my center more from the inside-out, and my shoulders are stacked over feet like ready to squat a bunch of weight. Your body/arm/disc are more folded over more outside your posture, if you had a bunch of weight on your shoulders you would fall over to the left. You look like you are really trying to reachback as far wide and as far back as possible at a cost of balance/posture so you are more outside rather than inside your posture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio&t=6m5s
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 7.58.52 PM copy.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 7.58.52 PM copy.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 71
Sorry if this is a dumb question. Do I need to widen my feet in the x step? Like I'm crossing over too close together?

Also, the squatting analogy kind of throws me off. If I was squatting id have my knees out and my chest up. Which is fine, but don't I need to be leaned farther over to throw anything but a slight anny?

1. Depends on your dynamic posture/balance. Note how Eagle's butt is to the right while his head over the left, so everything is center balanced. His right hip is clearly inside the foot and disc inside posture and wide from center. I'm not as athletic or nimble and have terrible balance compared to Eagle, so I like to keep everything more upright and tighter center inside the feet/posture in the x-step.

2. Getting ready to go into a one leg squat or ski slalom back and forth, or landing from a jump, or athletic position.
Eagle and I are both throwing hyzer-flips on left to right distance lines. Your body/arm are lined up more for a pure right to left hyzer, not a distance line, but your footwork is more anhyzer and front foot turned too backward.

16a36ic.png

squat-bar-path.jpg

Really tried to do that hammer x step. Didn't get any video of the hammer stuff. But I definitely felt that at a certain point in the backsing it goes weightless and then u can pump it forward, like accelerating down a half pipe.

Yeah pretend you are pumping the downward wall and that gives you enough momentum to go up the other wall easily. I realize on a half pipe you'd also pump the second wall too but ignore that...halfpipes are actually 2 corners rather than a continual curving transition.

So thinking about the backswing start with the disc floating out in front of you...like it's at the coping out to your right for RHBH. You plant to the left leg and from this weightless feeling of the hammer at your right side, you pump it downward with the left leg. It swings down accelerating faster, and then can easily float up to the top of the backswing. Once it's weightless like it caught some air, you plant on your right leg, and pump the hammer downward. It should then have enough acceleration/momentum to swing out in front of you to the right and you can continue through the rest of your swing.

Are you a skater/snowboarder or a skier?

I skateboarded, heavily, from 8-25 or so. Im 32 and fat now so falling would be too much.

I skateboarded, heavily, from 8-25 or so. Im 32 and fat now so falling would be too much.

Can you front board and feel how to turn into front boards and switch front boards?

Relating that feeling of how you turn to the front board and then land with the front leg under your head really helped me in my backswing.

The RHBH backswing feels like the same position as a regular stance front board to me, but with different head direction/focus. Like jump up and land in a regular front board position and feel where your shoulders are...they are inside of your stance. This is the same leveraged/controlled/balanced feeling as you should have for your backswing.

Right now in your X-step you step too far with your left foot and your body is way behind it when you start the backswing. If you feel how to be in that frontboard position and then wait in the X-step until you feel like you're within your stance, with your shoulders in a similar position, it may feel more intuitive to stay inside/over the left foot to leverage your shoulders.

Once I felt how to be over that foot with my shoulders inside my stance, I stopped wanting to backswing early or stride way too far with my left foot in the X-step.