• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form on putting

Dest

Bogey Member
I practice putt a lot and I have been really trying to get rid of the back pain it causes me. When I putt I have a pretty damn straight back but for some reason I still get pain in my lower back.

When you putt is your back 100% straight? If you ever lift I pretty much stand how I would when standing with weights before going down on a squat, a little arch with shoulders back. I feel like this should cause no pain but it still does every time. Anyone have a clue why?

I always have back pain when I practice putt. Hits me after about 15 minutes or so. Good indicator its time to give it a rest for a bit. Yes, my back is injured, toasted, fried, etc. Side effect of 20 years in the concrete biz.:(

If youre missing a lot of putts it could be from picking them up.
Try bending at the knees or missing less;)

Are you talking just muscle pain, or something more harsh? My back isn't ever really straight when I put, but I'm a little slouchy anyway. Other than the strain of bending over to pick up a lot of discs, which is a really good point, my first thought was that if your core/trunk is weak, your back is doing more work to support you. Also, if your body is tense while you putt rather than relaxed, I could see long periods creating some soreness that way.

Honestly. Simple yoga does wonders for your body. Look up some stuff online for stretching you back out. And yes bend at the knees just to lick up a disc. I bend at the waist during round but putting practice if I don't do knees my lower back and hips will hurt after a lil while.

^^^ wow could you teach me the technique on licking up my disc? That would be immpressive;)!

Yeah, doing some back stretches definitely has helped my back when it comes to putting. That and just getting out and putting, even with the mild discomfort. Now I can go out and practice quite a bit and not have any pain. I think the back pain I experienced is from just being out of shape. :D

run; that's the best way to strengthen your lower back.

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not but running is a terrible way to strengthen your back. Particularly if you're already experiencing back pain. It's a high impact work out that imbalances strength in your legs and utilizes a very small range of motion in your core.

Odds are your hips and core are too tight/weak. Yoga, martial arts, swimming, pilates, etc. are all good ways to improve range of motion and core strength. Changing your putting stroke probably won't do anything to alleviate the pain.

A simple test of leg and core strength: stand on your right leg (if you're right handed), lift your left foot off the ground, raise your left hip up as high as it will go and see if you can stay balanced for ~30 seconds without dropping your left hip. If you have trouble, the supporting muscles in your leg and core are fatigued and/or weak and need toning.

Hmmm, my back position varies, depending on the slope, closeness of basket, obstacles, etc.

If you like your feet and knees, avoid running. Cycling, swimming, core-training are better choices.

Guess I've been lucky---all the things I've done that should have hurt my back[whitewater kayaking, long-distance cycling, construction, timber work] have only strengthened it. But I did do tai chi for quite a while too.

I have 3 ruptured discs in my lower back. It actually took me out of the game for several years (just returned within the past 9 months). I have low back pain all the time, but I don't find that putting puts any strain on it. Picking up discs is the worst for me, and driving long distances also gives me some pain. It definitely helps that I recently got a jogging stroller I converted into a Disc Golf cart to take the weight of carrying my Revolution bag off my back. Occasionally I get dirty looks for the cart, but it doesn't bother me because I'm just happy to be back on the course. Best $15 craigslist purchase EVER. Took a few months to get back in the condition where I can handle more than one round in a day, but today I successfully made it through 54 holes.

Update -- turns out my bad putting was causing the back issue. I used to go out with about 10 aviars and just shoot from different spots missing half and picking them up. Bending over some times 50 times in a day was causing the problems.

Last couple time out I just brought my two new anodes and I have felt money ever since.

Side note -- I love anodes soo much lol.

Latest posts