• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form v.2

DG basketeer

Hey,

Since my last form check here I have been doing alot of field work. I have increased my distance from 350 to 400. I would appriciate some feedback on what to work on next. I notice I push off my rear heel which I would like to fix but I dont know what's causing it. Might it be that I am turning away too early?

Thanks guys!

You are pushing off your heel because that is the only place to push off of. Keeping your feet parallel during the x-step will keep your rear foot more closed and will allow your push off to be from the toes instead of the heel. One other thing: Bigger x-step doesn't necessarily = more distance.

So this is from last night, I kept my rear foot more parallel to the target but I'm folding my upper body after the disc leave my hand. When I keep my posture more up right it feels like I don't get any power. What am I missing?

Your front knee is too on top of the plant foot, so it can't brace into/behind it. It drifts forwards. As soon as it's above your plant foot you can't brace anymore and it just tries to keep you from falling over. So you collapse.

Video from behind the tee, you can't see your balance is off. You need turn your front leg into your hip at the plant more and stiffen/straighten your front knee through the swing to clear the hip back and wipe your butt. You are also pushing off your rear foot too late after you plant which causes you to collapse the front knee pushing through.

Thanks guys. Do I need to take a shorter last step and plant my front foot more rotated bakwards/closed in order to turn my front leg into my hip? And whats causing the late push of my rear foot?

And whats causing the late push of my rear foot?
This is really the only question that matters. The short answer is because you are never balanced upright on your front foot. Your front side posture is collapsing over like a lawnchair folding up, instead of firming up(bracing) and extending/clearing through impact. You aren't doing either part of "the move" correctly.

Notice how your whole front knee is past your ankle and you have more of your body over(almost both shoulders past your ankles), also your rear foot/leg is already coming around to the left and not countering the arm swing all the way to the finish. Notice the pros shoulders have rotated through more/faster/centered behind the ankle/upright and their front knee is not past the ankle, and the rear leg is countering to the right-behind the front knee still. They are dynamically balanced through the front foot from start through the finish.

Somewhat better, takes lots of practice. Your rear leg is too backward and flatfooted, so you don't really load and explode from it. You are also moving right - left on the tee pad but throwing a left - right hyzer shot, so your momentum is not matching the trajectory/apex of the shot. Also you are not loading into a hyzer plane on reachback, but throwing hyzer - let your arm/shoulder swing down under into the backswing.

Do I need to turn away later into the backswing in order to keep my rear leg more internally rotated/less externally rotated? Also by swinging down under into the backswing, do you mean somewhat similar to you and feldberg?

Not necessarily later, but you need to load/turn back further into your rear leg - front shoulder loaded to rear leg. When you plant, your rear knee is already extended fully. You get too flat footed on the rear foot and foot is slightly turned too back to far for you to load back into it properly.

You can do what Feldy and I do, I think it's way easier that way, but you don't have use a straight elbow, most all the pros still rotate the shoulder back under whether they unfold or swing back to load down into like in door frame pt 2.

I tried to focus on staying more on my toes and reaching back on a lower plane. It felt a little wierd and all of my throws were nose up... But is this a step in the right direction?

Skip to 1:00 for the first throw.

https://youtu.be/iHs1jjdTeeM

Somewhat. Your balance is too far behind your front foot/heel/right side of tee instead of toward your toes/left side of tee pad(camera from behind tee will show this better). Nose should be over toes, not behind heel. You can see your front foot starts spinning way early because you aren't getting balanced and stacked on it dynamically.

Thank you for your time!

Ok, should butt out and head down move balance more towards my toes on the front foot?

Not necessarily, you can do both of those two things and still not be balanced.

I think about balance as a dynamic condition of my feet or foot and body structure keeping my head up off the earth throughout the entire throwing motion start to finish. I'm just squatting the entire earth on either leg. Whatever your spine tilt is, your head should match your anatomically neutral position to it. If your spine is tilted forward then your head will appear to be looking "down" in neutral position, although as you rotate that can appear to change as well. If you are throwing anhyzer or roller your head should appear to be looking "up" because your spine should be tilted to match the swing plane. Thinking about keeping your head down or any static position is a dangerous swing thought.

Allright, I threw a few discs from a standstill and I feel like I am getting a cleaner release than when I do a run up. Also I was thinking about "the move 1" and keeping my torque further into my weight shift, (if I havent misunderstood the move that is). Better or worse?

From the side;

From the rear;

Better, but late moving off the rear heel, and not setting up the front side closed to resist turning/receiving your weight a la part 2 of the move. Your swing arc should extend further/wider out to the left side of the tee over your toes, you are spinning your front hip and shorting/hooking your arc to the right. Toss a heavy hammer straight, not hooking to the right.

Ok, in the move 2 he mentions backing into the target and from there being ontop of the hip. Is that how I setup the front side more closed and therefore able to receive the move 1? Also, is the short arc of my swing a biproduct of not setting up my front side closed?

Thanks!

Recently I've been messing with a wider reachback and it feels much better. I get a cleaner release and my discs can hold a hyzer longer. My knee, shoulders and head are still going past my ankle though... I will try the one legged drill to see if I can get a feel for getting balanced on my plant leg.

Videos throwing hyzers;