• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Found a Great Course

dgar

Par Member
Yesterday I found a great course.. I've played four of the local courses in my area some are busier than others, some are nicer than others.. But I had heard that there was a private course located on a local camp for Kids that was owned by a church.. the camp is in a off beat location not a place most people would drive by and see.. you'd have to know it was there!

My initial thoughts were ahh probably okay at best, private owned camp for Kids..cant be to much to it! Well I heard a couple locals talking about it the other day and one mentioned it was the nicest course in our area, I'm thinking yeah right!

Funny thing was I stayed at this camp 30 years ago when I was younger.. yeah I'm old !! So I figured it would probably rundown wrong the camp was completely refurbished a couple years ago .. So anyway to my point yesterday morning I found the number for the camp and called and ask about the course.. They were so nice, they explained during the summer months the camp and course is off limits to the general public due to the number of Kids staying there, but mentioned know that the schools are back in session they allowed visitors to play, only stipulation was you call ahead and sign in at the office so they know who's on the property..

Well when I showed up the lady in the office could not have been nicer, she pointed me towards the first tee, .. and acted as if she was genuinely glad to have me..

Well, about the course, Ive compared one off the other courses in our area to a PGA style course.. very nice, super clean, great location ect... But this course had to be the Augusta of disc golf in our area.. I couldn't believe it!!! The course was immaculate!!!!! the grass, not weeds, was mowed everywhere.. the tee boxes were great BIG, grass around boxes edged, GREAT signs at every hole.. The baskets were immaculate shiny new no rust..
The course had everything, Open holes, wooded holes, shots favoring left others right.. one shot over a pond.. not one piece of litter anywhere....

Okay i'll stop, but I was blown away by the course, could not believe I was the ONLY one playing on a Friday afternoon.. I thought I had found DG paradise...

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=4920&mode=rev

Sounds like a perfect course for everyone. I like church courses becauce they are easier to deal with than public parks. Sounds like you guys have work to do on the other courses.

I would suggest you keep it a secret, for purely selfish reasons, but I guess it's too late for that.

I would suggest you keep it a secret, for purely selfish reasons, but I guess it's too late for that.

Yeah I thought about that.. I think most of the serious golfers in the area probably know about it.. but the casual players I run into at the other local parks,,, well I dont think I'll be saying too much.

I actually talked with the camp director for a bit on my way out, he mentioned they might allow a tournament there to try and raise a little money for the camp.. He mentioned a day tournament and a night night tournament.

I'm going to try and play there again next week... I think I'll take the office staff a dozen doughnuts.. cant hurt I figure..

I'm with the dudes above, you shouldn't have told us, but now that you did, don't hold out, we want pictures, or a grainy cell phone course walk through video....

I always have mixed feelings about courses near churches or schools. I really love the concept, but due to some of "our" proclivities, I always cringe at the thought of those two cultures clashing...

I'm with you on this one.......

Agreed. I have been fortunate enough to play 2 courses which I was asked to keep quiet about by the Park Director at a municipal property and the course owner on a private course which has since become a pay to play. Several people were upset when they found out I knew something about the private course and did not tell them but I was not going to betray the trust of the course owner. I have never understood why people want to be the first to announce they have a played a course that relatively few know about. Hopefully the Camp Director is aware that there will be more and more people playing it now that the word is out.

It was in jest that I suggested not telling anyone, since the course is listed.

There is a pretty nice private course in Clayton GA. It isn't listed here or anywhere else that I'm of...I only know about it because I sold the baskets and helped with the design and installation. I still haven't played the course...well I played two of the holes one afternoon.

Course is absolutely beautiful with flowering plants so no matter the tome of year something is in bloom. No tees just tee areas. I talked with the owner and told him I want to come out one day and play the course with him...he said I should wait till later September when a certain fall flower will be in bloom.

There's another private course in Walhalla I'm hoping to play one day...I can see a basket from the road and I know the guy that leaves there but he isn't particularly nice.

Hopefully the Camp Director is aware that there will be more and more people playing it now that the word is out.

When speaking with the camp director he mentioned trying to plan two tournaments soon, so I don't think keeping the course a secret is his concern or plan. His only real concern was first for the children's safety and other guest that pay to stay at the camp, which is understandable... He actually said just call before you come play, I'm sure whether he continues to let the public play will depend on how the DG'ers conduct themselves.. obviously no drinking on the course, no litter... I could see vandalizing a sign on something being a reason to stop us.. But The camp director was a VERY nice man, seemed happy to share the course.