• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frolf vs. Disc Golf

I hate to ruin your history lesson, but I have always hear that the word "Golf" comes from the term that Golf was called:

Gentleman Only, Ladies Forbidden- G.O.L.F.

I can't confirm this, but this is what I have heard.

from wikipedia...

The word Golf was first mentioned in writing in 1457 on a Scottish statute on forbidden games as gouf, possibly derived from the Scots word goulf (variously spelled) meaning "to strike or cuff". This word may, in turn, be derived from the Dutch word kolf, meaning "bat," or "club," and the Dutch sport of the same name. It is often claimed that the word originated as an acronym for "gentlemen only, ladies forbidden", but this is strictly an urban legend.

I have heard the term "frolf" thrown around since I started. I also just recently heard the term "folf" from some of the veteran players.

I hate to ruin your history lesson, but I have always hear that the word "Golf" comes from the term that Golf was called:

Gentleman Only, Ladies Forbidden- G.O.L.F.

I can't confirm this, but this is what I have heard.

I've been playing golf since I was 5 and this is the same thing I've heard. If I remember correctly, this is in a few of my golf books. I'll see if I can find it and get back to you.

from wikipedia...

Wikipedia is not a reliable source at all. anyone can go put something up on there even if it's total BS. The thing info that you got from there sounds possible but I wouldn't quote anything from wikipedia. I'll try to find it on a different site and then I might believe it.

Wikipedia is not a reliable source at all. anyone can go put something up on there even if it's total BS. The thing info that you got from there sounds possible but I wouldn't quote anything from wikipedia. I'll try to find it on a different site and then I might believe it.

Does it Stand for "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden"?
1. Did the word "golf" originate as an acronym for "gentlemen only, ladies forbidden"? That's a common old wives' tale. Or, in this case, more likely an old husband's tale.
No, "golf" is not an acronym for "gentlemen only, ladies forbidden." If you've ever heard that, forget it immediately. Better yet, find the person who told you and let them know it's not true.
Like most modern words, the word "golf" derives from older languages and dialects. In this case, the languages in question are medieval Dutch and old Scots.
The medieval Dutch word "kolf" or "kolve" meant "club." It is believed that word passed to the Scots, whose old Scots dialect transformed the word into "golve," "gowl" or "gouf."
By the 16th Century, the word "golf" had emerged.
Sources: British Golf Museum, USGA Library
source: http://golf.about.com/cs/historyofgolf/a/hist_golfword.htm

What is the origin of the word 'golf?' 1. top
The word 'golf' is not an acronym for anything. Rather, it derives linguistically from the Dutch word 'kolf' or 'kolve,' meaning quite simply 'club.' In the Scottish dialect of the late 14th or early 15th century, the Dutch term became 'goff' or 'gouff,' and only later in the 16th century 'golf.'
The linguistic connections between the Dutch and Scottish terms are but one reflection of what was a very active trade industry between the Dutch ports and the ports on the east coast of Scotland from the 14th through 17th centuries.
Some scholars suggest that the Dutch game of 'kolf,' played with a stick and ball on frozen canals in the wintertime, was brought by the Dutch sailors to the east coast of Scotland, where it was transferred on to the public linkslands and eventually became the game we know today.
Source; http://www.usga.org/questions/faqs/usga_history.html#1

There is no universally accepted derivation for the word 'golf.' One of the most common misconceptions is that the word GOLF is an acronym for Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden. This at least is definitely not true.
1. The first documented mention of the word 'golf' is in Edinburgh on 6th March 1457, when King James II banned 'ye golf', in an attempt to encourage archery practice, which was being neglected.
Before the creation of dictionaries, there was no standardised spelling of any given word. People wrote words phonetically. Goff, gowf, golf, goif, gof, gowfe, gouff and golve have all been found in documents in Scotland.
Most people believe the old word 'gowfe' was the most common term, pronounced 'gouf'. The Loudon Gowf Club maintains the tradition of this terminology
source: http://www.scottishgolfhistory.net/golf_word.htm

Frolf? the name does not even come out of my mouth easy.

Observer asks "what is that you are playing?"

Player responds "frolf."

It sounds like a dog trying to bark and puke at the same time.

This site is the first place I heard the term "frolf".
I started playing in Michigan. It's disc golf there.

I initially called it Frisbee Golf when I played in the 80's and I have heard that a lot more than Frolf. I say Disc Golf though.

Referred to as both where I'm from. I prefer disc golf, since it's not really a frisbee..well technically. Could be a good debate, lol.

Not a fan of the term frolf and cringe when people say it. Disc golf all the way.

The term "frolf" inherintly seems to lack any credibility whatsoever.

Proud to say I play disc golf, but call me a "frolfer?"
Well, them's fightin' words...

I get the biggest kick out of going back and digging up old threads. To see what people have to say now with the way the site has grown.

sure why not..lol...instead of starting new pointless threads, lets just start a trend and go back to old threads and see how peoples views have changed:cool:

lol to be honest I would rather hear Frolf then Frisbee Golf... Though whenever I either I do curse under my breath just a bit...

What...you mean you guys don't go frolifing thru the forest?

Honestly though, I've never actually heard anyone say that "word" out loud.

i've always found it diminutive. and inaccurate. and lame.