• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Front Foot for Push Putting?

ILUVSMGS18

Just Another Disc Hoarder
So I putt similarly to how McBeth putts, but I can't figure out which foot to put forward. Should it be my opposite side (left foot) or my same side (right) as my throwing hand? I'm primarily looking for increased accuracy and power. Muscle memory leads me to put my right foot forward, but the left foot seems to be more accurate. Should I try to break muscle memory and switch my feet (left instead of right) or should I just keep working with the right foot forward?

Ditto, "Same foot as your throwing hand"

This allows for a more consistent push and smoother weight transfer.

Still, what matters most is practice.

Doesn't matter much which foot is forward if the only time you practice is 5 minutes before your round starts...

Edit: Not a jab at the OP, just my pet peeve showing...

Even though most put same foot forward as throwing hand, wouldn't it almost make more sense if putt was like other sports where opposite foot forward of throwing hand?

Same foot. If you're having problems with accuracy, you're shifting your weight incorrectly most likely. Probably shifting around your leg instead of into it.

I just tried to putt opposite foot forward and it was the most awkward thing I've tried. Definitely wrong. That's a forehand stance.

I'm a RH player who has been putting left foot forward for a couple years now (after many more years with right foot forward).
It works better for me because of a couple things:
1) I practice it. A lot. As in almost every day, somewhere around 50+ putts from 15' and back. I've always been one to practice putting and I struggled along even using my old stance. The key here is I put in the time to adjust my body and mind to something that initially felt different but has become highly repeatable for me.
2) My hips and shoulders are forced to start and remain much more square to the basket, which helps me immensely in being on line (which used to be a massive problem for me).
3) For some reason, I am much less likely to put the disc on an inadvertent hyzer line. I now get nearly all putts coming out of my hand as intended (flat or, for longer putts, a slight anhyzer).
There you go - that's what works for me, but that doesn't mean it is anything other than one guy's opinion.

I truly believe the biggest keys are to find a delivery and practice it to make it repeatable. Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you can't get it wrong...says the guy who still gets it wrong at least 20% of the time despite nearly daily practice.

So I putt similarly to how McBeth putts, but I can't figure out which foot to put forward. Should it be my opposite side (left foot) or my same side (right) as my throwing hand? I'm primarily looking for increased accuracy and power. Muscle memory leads me to put my right foot forward, but the left foot seems to be more accurate. Should I try to break muscle memory and switch my feet (left instead of right) or should I just keep working with the right foot forward?

I go same foot and throwing hand even for a Pushing Spin putt. however I have seen opposite foot to throwing hand work too just 90% will use throwing hand and same side leg for putting.

Alan Francis is the Ken Climo of horseshoes. The video below has a lot of shots of him doing his thing. All the top horseshoe guys throw left foot forward. I don't think it would take much for Francis to convert his horseshoe form to disc putting.

Alan Francis is the Ken Climo of horseshoes. The video below has a lot of shots of him doing his thing. All the top horseshoe guys throw left foot forward. I don't think it would take much for Francis to convert his horseshoe form to disc putting.

It's funny you mention this, I actually played around with a horseshoe style throw a bit.

I was playing horseshoes one day and realized that if the stake was a disc golf basket I would be able to hit it almost every time with a shoe. I'm not pro or anything, but even a recreational horseshoe player is probably getting within a basket size of the stake with almost every throw.

The idea was to step forward to the marker with my left foot, and release the disc exactly as I would a horseshoe. I was hoping it would fly like a push putt. The problem was with using the exact toss as a horse shoe, I wasn't able to get the disc to actually fly, it would just tumble through the air. I toyed around with different release and toss methods, both backhand and forehand. The problem was in order to get the disc to fly properly, I had to alter the toss motion too much for it to be effective. I could get the disc to fly, but I lost all of the accuracy benefits of the horseshoe toss. I eventually decided a more traditional push putt was more effective.

When I began playing this game, I threw everything underhand. To get a disc to fly, that's more akin to bowling than horsehoes. And it didn't work well for putting.

It does seem to be about getting the disc to fly. The left foot forward makes a lot of sense from the leverage and throwing standpoint. The last time I played cornhole (not a regular occurrence for me) I tried mimicking a putt. Was mediocre at best and not as consistent as the left foot forward horseshoe or bowling style.

DG putting is effing weird

I agee. I have tride the opposite foot to throwing hand stance and that seems to work for from the chest Spin putts where the moves do not seem to be affected by the foot placement as much just that a foot is forward if need be. In bowling I am better with same hand and foot as I use the leg as a guide for the arm. Opposite I tend to slip more in the bowl.

The Closest sport to Disc Golf are Darts/Baseball in terms of foot forward being the same as the throwing hand most of the time. In fact I have taken a Darts stance to disc golf with modification by having front foot same as throwing hand facing the pole but with the back foot in line with the other shoulder for more stability then a true Darts stance as I am further away when Disc Golf putting then a Darts throw line is 90% of the time.

That is how you should throw forehands, yes.

You throw a RHFH with clockwise spin? You should never teach someone forehand...

Dan Ensor was referring to not the hands, as in horseshoes a disc is not used but a sport specific horse shoe was used with almost no spin. So you have him talking about forehand putts where either foot can be used and the right foot is not always an option with that type of scramble putt.

Latest posts