• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fronthand or Backhand?

Delphinux17

I've pretty much always been a player who tried to keep my balance between my Fronthand and Backhand throws. Although, now I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should start working on one or the other.

I usually throw fronthand for my drives, and backhand for my putts. But I kinda wanna know what you all suggest on working on from here. I average about 250' on my drives (both backhand and fronthand) and I want to improve this. Is there a better way between backhand and fronthand or should I just start focusing on one or the other to improve it?

Having both options is a great asset. I recommend you keep working on both. If your FH is better make it your primary option, but there will likely be shots that a backhand is inherently a better play. Aslo, you may have days where one is accurate and the other is all over the place. Play the strength of the day.

It's good to be well rounded. I would definitely continue to work on both. I've been forehand dominant for years but am starting to see significant improvements as I work on my backhand more and more.

Any tips for improving them then?

It's nice to know that I have been doing something that will make me a better player in the long run... I just thought that trying to have both would open up my options. I've always been self-conscious about using multiple shot types when playing with other players because they'd think I wasn't good enough at one shot so I kept switching :-/.

Agreed. While you can make it work only using one style, your life will be so much simpler and you'll have a better perspective on the holes if you are adept at both.

Any tips for improving them then?

It's nice to know that I have been doing something that will make me a better player in the long run... I just thought that trying to have both would open up my options. I've always been self-conscious about using multiple shot types when playing with other players because they'd think I wasn't good enough at one shot so I kept switching :-/.

I think the biggest advice you'll see over and over again is spend lots of time practicing in the field with lower speed discs.

I think people would actually have the opposite opinion. They'd think it's impressive that you can throw equally well from both sides.

I personally started forehand dominant, so I have been down this road. I initially started working on my backhand because I hit a distance plateau on my forehand. For a while I was throwing everything backhand because I thought my forehand would never get any better, and my play suffered. I was trying to throw turnover backhand shots when an easy FH hyzer was the easy play.

If you usually play casual rounds by yourself I recommend throwing two drives. One score you drive forehand and one drive you throw backhand and keep the best score per hole, that will help tell you which shot is better for which hole and give you practice on each. Also, you will learn what responds better in the wind and that will factor into your FH/BH choice on open holes.

Start calling it "forehand" instead of "fronthand". This alone will add 50 feet to your distance :D

I was predominantly throwing RHBH for just about everything for a long time. I just started working on my RHFH and it has opened up a whole new outlook on holes where I had to throw big anny shots to get around trees....just a nice smooth hyzer FH and right out into the fairway....also good to know for lay up and escape shots....same thing goes for backhand...knowing both with help you take at least a few strokes off your scores....now if I could only break 400' that would also open up the game for me...

I think the biggest advice you'll see over and over again is spend lots of time practicing in the field with lower speed discs.

I think people would actually have the opposite opinion. They'd think it's impressive that you can throw equally well from both sides.

this is all correct.

i would recommend posting your bag in the bag feedback/suggestions subforum. also please use the template at the top of the page :thmbup:

i also throw both FH and BH. I would call myself BH dominant but will throw either at any time based on the hole and conditions. keep working on both and never let one get rusty and dusty.

I started just like you. FH for drives and BH for everything else. It decided to learn BH and now that is my go to for holes that you can throw either on. Don't drop one of them though. There are multiple holes on my home course where I watch everyone struggle because they can only throw either FH or BH. Being able to throw both has really helped me get lower scores.

As for how to improve. Get a discraft meteor for BH and use it for every shot and then get a Stalker or teebird for FH and use it for every shot. Work on accuracy instead of power. It took me a year to start do this for myself but in the last few months I have gained a ton of distance and even more control. I now throw my meteor on holes I would have normally used a driver and I park them more often. Also If i throw my drivers with the same form as the meteor they go a lot further.

Started RHFH and stuck to it. A couple of years FH off the T and BH inside. I could not drive BH. I started reading, started watching the slow mo vids. Then I decided to stop driving FH and concentrate on BH. I can now throw BH just as far but I send one away now and then.

I can do it but learned the technique so quickly, I don't know what to do with my feet. It's like I am wasted. I have not developed the memory yet.

What I have found important is that no matter how much good or bad information you find here, the main thing is, get off the keyboard and do it.

I want to be BH dominant but what is going to happen is that I will be 50/50.

I'm cool with that.

My fave course circles a small lake counter clockwise.

RHFH has my discs finishing away from the water towards the basket. FH works there well. There are long pins where water is not in play, BH send.

Some guys here write about molds and different conditions of wear on a disc. They write things like, "I think we can all agree on..." not always agreeing.

Main thing, actually get out and do it, do it again, keep at it. Keep practicing, read a little but it is the disc that tells you what to do, not the forum member in your head bugging you that you have to do it a certain way.

Get a low speed straight flying disc (like a Leopard) and practice practice practice with it. Work on your weakness constantly if you can take it.

If you can't, just have fun till you are board and not getting better then go back and work on your weakness again.

Learn to have fun getting better then getting better becomes fun.

CWalbino advice is good (works for me and I understand him)

There are others.

Your experience may vary.

Latest posts