• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest story explaining DG to noobs

LMAO, that was great! The best thing I've read in a while:thmbup:

Does anybody else get the Disco response?

"What did you do yesterday?"

"Disc Golf, mostly"

{blank stare of disbelief} "Uhh, you disco?" (as they bring their index finger from lower left to upper right repeatedly)

omg this happened to me at the barbershop. Ive been going to him for awhile and for some reason started telling him about my disc golf league on wenesday's. Conversation was a few minutes and then the barber asked me "well what do you wear as your outfit"?

i was like uh? what do you mean outfit? He said.."well you said your were in a disco golf league". I swear i almost **** myself. The guy thought i was in some weird polyester suit wearing golf league or something lol. So funny.

Just yesterday:

To begin, I'm a hunter, and pretty hard-core right-winger. I own guns, and was even a defensive handgun instructor out here. So, I'm standing there at lunch time, getting ready to go throw a few rounds. I wear my Front Sight hat when I play (that's where I instructed), and the owners husband asked what we were going to do. After explaining, he looked at me and said, "So what, are you some kind of a hippie?!" ....

ummmm

Dittos to having those encounters.

LMAO, that was great! The best thing I've read in a while:thmbup:

Does anybody else get the Disco response?

"What did you do yesterday?"

"Disc Golf, mostly"

{blank stare of disbelief} "Uhh, you disco?" (as they bring their index finger from lower left to upper right repeatedly)

I get this a LOT.

I got tired of explaining it so I just took a picture with my phone and show them that.

Bingo. Same thing. I actually used an awesome photo somebody on here took, and that's the wallpaper on my phone.

Why do they always think you hit the disc with a club? It seems like common sense to me. :wall:

ARGH! Agreed.

\/\/

After people don't "get" the phrase "disc golf," I usually say "it's sometimes called frisbee golf. It's basically golf with a frisbee. Instead of hitting a ball you throw the disc." For the people who continue to show interest, I usually talk about how the discs we use aren't actually frisbees, but are designed specially for the sport. Then if my discs are accessible I get some out of my car and show them. Seeing the discs in person helps a lot of people wrap their minds around it.

One time I saw a guy watching me in a parking lot, amazed at how far I was throwing them. I showed him a couple of my discs up close, and he was even more interested. I offered to let him throw them, but he said no, he'd rather watch me throw. If I were female I probably would have been creeped out.

The field I practice at is right on a very busy road, and I have almost cause a few accidents from people slowing down to watch me throw. I am know around town as the "Frisbee Guy"

One time I saw a guy watching me in a parking lot, amazed at how far I was throwing them. I showed him a couple of my discs up close, and he was even more interested. I offered to let him throw them, but he said no, he'd rather watch me throw. If I were female I probably would have been creeped out.

The following is off-topic, but it relates to your post:

I used to shoot hoops in this empty basketball court late at night. One evening a guy pulls up in his car, gets out, sits down at the other end of the court and just watches me for like an hour. There's no one else anywhere near us. I get a little weirded out. He eventually comes over and awkwardly tries to start up a conversation. He expresses the desire to "play a little one-on-one". I try to be polite, but then I quickly leave.

Next night, I'm shooting again. The "stalker" shows up again. This time he tries to shoot hoops with me like he's some kind of baller--no pun intended. He clearly hasn't touched a basketball more than twice in his life. It's just horrible. He's shooting air balls that roll off into the woods. I'm almost afraid to go retrieve them. Finally, I have enough of this crap and tell him I'm leaving. He very enthusiastically offers to drive me home. I'm like, "Nah, I'm out". And I walk back to my apartment. Fortunately he doesn't follow me home. I never see him again.

Stuff like this used to happen all the time when I was in my early 20's. Now I guess I'm too old to attract the "lonely" men. Or probably the ladies too, for that matter. Oh well.

I decided to go out and practice drives behind the local elementary school last summer, as it has a giant open field to throw in. There were a bunch of kids at the playground. As I was going to retrieve my drivers, I could still hear the kids pretty clearly.

Kid 1: Did you see how far he threw those?

Kid 2: He's gay. He's throwing frisbees by himself. He's gay.

One time a black guy approached my father-in-law and me while we were playing and told us how funny he thought it was to see "white boys throwin' frisbees and ain't no one trying to catch 'em". He assured us that he was not a racist.

LOL:)!

Kid 2: He's gay. He's throwing frisbees by himself. He's gay.[/QUOTE]

Now that is funny!

I decided to go out and practice drives behind the local elementary school last summer, as it has a giant open field to throw in. There were a bunch of kids at the playground. As I was going to retrieve my drivers, I could still hear the kids pretty clearly.

Kid 2: He's gay. He's throwing frisbees by himself. He's gay.

discpicable = the Lamar of disc golf
565133905_l.jpg

Regarding the kid, most people, since the beginning of time, tend to insult what they don't understand.

I don't get it. Is he insulting disc golfers by calling them gay or insulting gay people by calling them solitary disc-throwers?

Good question but let's not go there, I'm kind of tired of seeing every innocent thread I start end up in Frank's Basement.

Anywho,

I was on hole 11 @ Asheboro which is a little, maybe 200' downhill hole that tees off beside a playground. 10-12 year old boy from the playground starts asking us what we're doing and we explain it.

Boy (with bad Southern accent): Whar y'all throwing them frisbees?

Us: Down there

*points to basket 200' away*

Boy: All the way down thar!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!

Me: (proceeds to throw disc on an ace run, stopped by tree just left and in front of basket.) Yep, I threw it down thar.

Glad I found this thread so I could share my story.

Was playing early-ish one morning during a break in class. My local course has a fairly long paved trail that stretches throughout the course so at this time of day joggers, walkers and bikers are all fairly common.

So an older chubby dude in spandex rides up on his Schwinn and the following conversation takes place:

Biker: "Hey how you doing?"

Me: "Pretty good..."

He asked for some directions pertaining to the trail and where it ended. I had no clue.

Biker: "So, how far can you throw one of those frisbee things?"

Me: "Not as far as I'd like. But I make up for it with my putting"

At this point I could tell he was confused.

Biker: "Putting? You mean like golf?"

Me: "Yeah, but it's disc golf, like into a basket instead of a hole"

Biker: "Basket?"

Me: "Yeah like that one right there *points 275' to the nearest basket*"

Biker: "No ****?! I've never even noticed that before, is that the only one?"

Me: "No there's actually 11 more all over the park"

Biker: "Oh man and to think this whole time I thought you were all just a bunch of hippies, trying to throw frisbees as far as you could, but that's cool to know you're actually trying to throw them at something"

As soon as he left...:facepalm:

I did have this encounter with one the neighborhood residents. I used to practice on a Soon To be subdivision. Nothing but empty lots, I had my area marked off, and I would throw. (I know a few guys would practice Ball golf there as well) Anywho... It wasn't uncommon to see people walking the road in this area, some were regulars. One of the ladies stopped and asked me if I was on the High School Discus team. (You have to spiff her on this one, I wasn't throwing at a basket.) I told her "No, but your close. I play disc golf, and I'm just out here messing around. She impressed me with her response. "Is that the game where you throw into a basket?". :eek: She knows this game I play! I confirmed her answer, and she went "Oh, That looks like that would be a fun game!" She watched me throw a couple, then waved and went on her way. It's not often you get a response like that! I felt it was worth the mention!

I was playing at Lower Cato Falls near Manitowoc with my wife and kids on Father's Day, and Hole #8 is a blind shot off the tee, 228' RHFH shot (for me), with the basket just in front of the woods, and a trail/stairs down to the falls just beyond the basket...here's the tee, and the basket (you can somewhat see this trail just past the basket to the right). So I throw my tee shot, and it looks pretty decent but maybe a little deep (it was). As the wife and kids step up to play from the short tee, I ran up a little to spot and to see what kind of junk I might've landed in. An elderly couple was emerging from this trail, somewhat oblivious to what we were doing, and my first thought was that I'd probably come pretty close to nailing one of them with my Surge SS. The old lady sees me just standing there, looking back up the fairway at my family, and she smiles and waves and asks, "Are you going down to the falls?" I point to the basket that's 5 feet in front of her and reply that we're playing disc golf. "Oh! What's that?" I go on to briefly explain it, that it's like golf but with these "Frisbees," pulling out my FLX Challenger and demonstrating a quick putt from where I was (which wasn't my true lie, but I digress). Her husband apparently wasn't interested, as he had kept walking towards their van, and just as I'd gotten this octogenarian somewhat interested he impatiently calls back, "Come on, dear." The lady smiled and waved again and told us to have fun.

Latest posts