• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

..............Now with the odd backpack I am using I get people staring at my bag, it is a Vertex Angler Backpack I modified for use as a disc golf backpack...............

I checked it out at Amazon and I like it! https://www.amazon.com/Vertex-The-Angler-Backpack/dp/B00E1LCF48 The price is right.

What mods did you do? NVM, I read your Amazon review for that info. Will it hold 20 discs?
I'm thinking about incorporating one into my home made cart.

One Day at Sedgley Woods in Pa., I came to the Fourth hole to find a group barbaqueing in the basket. They had tin foil, charcoal, burgers, Dogs, the whole nine yards. The Guys says to me, " This isn't for Grilling???"
honestly if not into disc golf would make sense that's what it's for

So does this happen to anybody else? I've noticed that lately I seem to gather way more spectator attention than I used to. Especially people stop driving to watch me throw, that's getting to be about a once a round occurrence. I don't know if it's because I'm throwing a lot farther than people expect or I'm just funnier looking than I used to be or what. I'm tickling just over 400' on a great rip so it's not like I'm Eagle McGurthie over here. It's just weird that it's happening more frequently since DG is getting fairly known among the general public around here. I also had a guy jogging alongside the hole stop running to shout at me how awesome my roller was.
Ever get the people telling you what a nice shot you made when it was a just terrible shot and you trying not to cuss cause they have a kid with them.

Ever get the people telling you what a nice shot you made when it was a just terrible shot and you trying not to cuss cause they have a kid with them.

Oh that's my patented move, for sure. I get a lot of "why are you mad, I thought that was good" comments. I don't get that mad though, just more quiet and grumpy.

I hate when you get stuck with the new guys at a tourney. They probably never seen someone throw over 300ft before and they keep saying nice shot when I leave myself a 25ft death putt.:wall:

We had a guy sleeping in his car on top of no5 tee at Mt Airy before a tourney once.

An old story but amusing:

Playing a tournament in Las Vegas at a course which I now believe extinct. Our group was playing on a long 'straight' hole with an undivided 4-lane road paralleling fairway right. I remember it clearly there was a slight head wind, maybe 4 mph. By today's standards the hole was on the long side, perhaps 450'(but then the fastest discs were about speed 6), so one of my card-mates, his initials are PT opted for the clock-spin backhand roller, which looked pretty good out of his hand...

It got about 250-300' down the fairway, turned hard right, hopped the curb and jumped up slightly, wedging itself between the body work and bumper of a VW Jetta heading the opposite way. The driver didn't even miss a beat. We all laughed and PT saved his bogey.

It was the most memorable moment of that tournament for me...

In Florida, there were some big dogs running around and then a fight over the dogs... A cop drove on to the course to deal with it... I kept my head down and threw...keeping an eye on where those dogs were.

Yesterday there were two young girls meandering around the course, one girl taking pictures of the other. The second they had a tree blocking them I was throwing around them (they ignored previous "heads up" shouts). They could give zero damns about two guys flinging discs around them. I went into an OB creek trying to approach the green they were standing on from the farthest side of them but I saved my par by banging my putt from the DZ. It was weird putting out around a glamour shoot.

The one about the dogs reminds me of an instance that happened to be when I had not been playing very long.

I was playing with my wife on this little 6 hole course on St. Simons island and this guy is just driving around following two huge dogs around the course. Occasionally shouting at them with little effect.they never got close and were not aggressive but it was weird.

I think I mentioned it before, but the grilling one made me think of it again.
Older couple politely asked me to stop throwing frisbees at the deer feeder. I had a conversation with them, let them throw a few putts. At the very end, the lady says "I think our grandson plays this"

An old story but amusing:

Playing a tournament in Las Vegas at a course which I now believe extinct. Our group was playing on a long 'straight' hole with an undivided 4-lane road paralleling fairway right. I remember it clearly there was a slight head wind, maybe 4 mph. By today's standards the hole was on the long side, perhaps 450'(but then the fastest discs were about speed 6), so one of my card-mates, his initials are PT opted for the clock-spin backhand roller, which looked pretty good out of his hand...

It got about 250-300' down the fairway, turned hard right, hopped the curb and jumped up slightly, wedging itself between the body work and bumper of a VW Jetta heading the opposite way. The driver didn't even miss a beat. We all laughed and PT saved his bogey.

It was the most memorable moment of that tournament for me...

Haha! Great story, loved it. Now in true DGCR form: Did he play it as OB or a lost disc?

During one of our league nights my card got stuck at hole 2 because about 100 high school girls were having a cross country event in the park. The path ran directly down about a 600 foot fairway. That's not so funny, but what was funny was us standing there waiting for the last runners to go by, only to realize that the fast ones were overtaking the slowest ones and that this was going to take a while. Finally there was a big enough gap between runners that we could throw. Felt sorry for the ones trying really hard but getting lapped.
Another time I was on a trail between holes...a pretty secluded spot in the woods, when I walk up to 4 20-something year old women hugging the same tree in a circle reciting some sort of incantation or religious blessing or whatever that would be called. I just said hi and kept going. Not sure what religion or belief system does this type of thing but it was interesting to see.

Last edited:
...I walk up to 4 20-something year old women hugging the same tree in a circle reciting some sort of incantation or religious blessing or whatever that would be called. I just said hi and kept going. Not sure what religion or belief system does this type of thing but it was interesting to see.

Some sort of splinter group would be my guess.