• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

about a week ago at roland park, we had a hurd of cows come running up over the 3rd fairway. probably about 30 or 40 of them. the crazy thing is they came from the opposite direction of the where the farm is located near roland park. left some cow plops to navigate through though

A friend of mine teed off on hole 9 at Morley field and his disc hit a sign off to the right about 60 feet away and it stuck in the small space between the sign and the metal post it was attached to

about a week ago at roland park, we had a hurd of cows come running up over the 3rd fairway. probably about 30 or 40 of them. the crazy thing is they came from the opposite direction of the where the farm is located near roland park. left some cow plops to navigate through though

I just have to say you just made my day. I laughed out loud at this one . I don't know why, but it really struck me funny.:)

Couple weeks ago, the wife and I are playing a round at tyler state park in PA. We get to the #5 tee and theres a couple of geese just hanging out. So I start whistling and snapping my fingers to get ones attention. So one goose just came over and stood next to me and waited while we teed off. So as we're walking away we noticed that the goose is following us, so i kept tapping my disc against my leg to keep his attention and he just kept on walking. He'd walk up to either me or my wife and wait while we picked up our discs and made another shot and again, and again. (me and the wife are new to disc golf and only had 1 discraft buzz a piece so we were throwing quite a bit..haha)

So he follows us to the next tee and so on for about 4 more holes. Until we get to a little bridge that crosses a little stream, and he wont cross the bridge for some reason. I tried quite a few times to lead him on it and he wouldnt follow, wont fly. So as I was about to give up I figured I would walk him down a bit to where you could jump across and sure enough he followed down the way a bit and crossed with me and then back up the hill to the other side.

So after that we had to name him. I came up with "Gary the goose" on the spot, and he just kept on following. There was a couple times where you had to step over a log or 2 and he wouldnt jump over them so we led him around the log and so on. The course is actually pretty hilly and steep at times and completely in the woods, so its not like he was just walkign around in a field all day. Heres the link to the course

http://http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=29

So we get to maybe the 12th hole or so, and I happen to lose my disc somewhere in this thick woodsy area. I couldnt find this thing for the life of me, we searched all over and couldnt find it. We retraced back and forth thru thick areas of stickerbushes, dense underbrush, everything....yup, Gary followed me thru everything. I even lost track of him a couple times when poking thru the woods to a clearing and back and he was right there waiting for me when I came back. It got the point where I was so focused on finding my disc that I wasnt exactly paying attention to where he was, and I'd turn around..... "theres Gary"....haha

We didnt keep track of time, but I mustve been looking for my disc for about 30-45mins. The disc was brand new, the first time I used it, and it was my only one. I, scratch that...WE....were determined to finish this course. All the sudden, BOOM, theres my disc, alot farther than I thought, and completely covered in leaves and sticker bushes.

So we continued on, passed a couple groups of people with Gary bringing up the rear 15' back and heard whispers like "dude look at the goose, hes following them"...So I yelled over, "oh yeah, thats Gary hes been following us since tee #5" (its probably around hole 20 by then I forget....oh yeah its a 27 hole course...ahah) So anyway, as we passed another guy working on the park who had a white t-shirt on like mine....Gary stops, and I happen to turn around to check on him and he seems confused on which person to follow. I walk back to him and start tapping my disc and hes not moving, the guy happens to look up probably thinking im bothering the goose, and I tell him that hes been following me for the last 2 hours at least and the goose thinks I'm him cause we have the same color shirt. After a bit more tapping, Gary makes the right choice and continues onward....haha

We finish the 26th basket which was in the middle of a field and under a tree, and Gary sits down all the sudden to take break in the shade. Im suprised cause he hasnt sat the whole time, so we waited a little and he wasnt budging. There was a guy waiting to play the 26th so we headed for the 27th and waited at the tee for Gary. Nope, he wont move...so we figure hes done following us finally and we play the 27th hole. As we get to the final basket we turn around and theres Gary rushing over to us like "Wait!....I didnt say good bye"

So we HAD to wait..ahah...Finally he gets up to us and starts following us towards our truck, when ALL THE SUDDEN.....Something swoops down from above......I caught it out of the corner of my eye, and I look up....ITS A FALCON!....A FALCON JUST TOOK A DIVE AT GARY!!!....I look up at the tree line and this huge falcon is perched on a branch watching Gary like a hawk (haha) So I start smacking my hand against my disc and BARKING at the falcon, and he flys off the branch and gets to another branch a bit closer to us, and at this point....I KID YOU NOT!!....IM READY, WILLING, & ABLE....TO RUMBLE WITH THIS FALCON!!...We've come too far in our journey to lose out to some PUNKASS FALCON!

Meanwhile Garys like "lets get the Fork outta here" and starts running...haha....Which was the first time we've ever seen him run, so in the midst of panic, I coulnt help but laugh....haha. Then we notice that WE'RE following GARY for the first time in 22 holes...ahha

Anyway, the falcon gave up, flew away and we got some cell phone shots when we got back to the truck. Then we said our goodbyes and watched him stand there in the same spot while we drove off.

THE END

Tom

Awe. You should've taken him home and kept him as a pet. Seriously, how cool would that be? Someone comes over to your house "omg, there's a goose in your living room!" "Nah, that's just Gary the goose... he's legit."

Gary

Broken,

That's one of the best stories I've ever read! Too funny. I can't believe the hawk attack, and I can even picture you ready to fight him :D Gary's one incredible goose, and I hope you see him again. Please let us know.

actually, my wifes cellphone just broke last night, so im thinking the pics are lost..haha

A few years ago some friends and I were playing at a park in Cincinnati early in the morning. It was really foggy but we had played the course many times so we didn't think it would be a problem. On the first hole I launched my drive toward where I knew the basket was -- all we heard was a huge THUD! Since we were familiar with the course we couldn't imagine what I could have hit. All of a sudden about a 6 point buck came thundering at us. I'm sure he was just as surprised to see us as we were to see him. I've hit many trees since but never another deer.

Too many little random stories worth recounting, some good, some bad. Bicentennial Park in Crowley, TX -- I don't remember which hole, but my brother and I are playing and watching the group in front of us. Four guys in the underbrush, and we think they're looking for their disc in the scrubbrush. There's a large boulder mixed in among the bushes. Two of the guys flip the boulder over and a third guy -- a BIG guy -- dives down and grabs this 5' snake out from under the rock. He's holding the thing by its head and its hissing and snarling and thrashing all over the place. A few seconds later it's completely coiled around his arm like it's trying to strangle him. He carries it with him for the rest of the hole, putts out, and then throws the thing back into the bushes before the next teebox. Needless to say, my brother and I walk reeeeeal wide of those bushes. No need to run into a pissed off snake that's already been taunted.

Same park, different day, It's been raining all morning and the stream is rushing pretty fast. My brother has a teebird skip into the creek, and we figure it's safe to jump in and look for it. The water's just at teabagging level. We're both in their in our boxers feeling around for the disc. I'm feeling along the edge, and all of a sudden a huge snake comes up out of the water between me and the bank, arcs back down a few feet away and is heading towards my brother. I yell, he sees the snake, screams and leaps straight up to a branch hanging over the creek. He's hanging there, wet and half-naked from a tree branch in the middle of the creek trying not to touch the water. Probably stays there 10 minutes before he decides its safe to drop back into the water and dash for the shore. We left the teebird.

Lots of good snake stories, but those are two of my favorites.

Up at Borderlands in MA, a friend and I finish up our round and are tossing discs up over a rise and across a big field on the way back to the car. He puts one out that looks like it will be going 350' or so, but instead of hearing the sound of disc hitting grass, we hear this big "clang." As far as we remember, there aren't any trash cans or picnic tables out there, so we can't figure out what it is. We get up over the rise and see his disc -- this beautiful tie-dyed Z-XL -- wedged into the side of green fire hydrant that's right by a path in the middle of the field. We walk up, and his disc is physically stuck right under the edge of the big bolt on top. There are no people around, so no one who could have moved it there. I've got a picture on the computer at home somewhere, and it makes me laugh every time I see it -- craziest place I've ever seen a disc get stuck.

Hawk Hollow in VA, mid-July. Hole three the wind is coming from behind us. We tee off, and get about halfway down the fairway, the wind shifts, and the stench is all of a sudden overwhelming. Hawk Hollow is a private course with a primary use as a cow farm. The smell turns out to be a dead cow just off the fairway. One guy in our group has landed just a few feet behind the cow, and has to play his second shot throwing over the top of a rotting cow-carcass, trying to hold his breath and just trying to throw before he passes out. Worst obstacle on a course ever.

Cedar Hill in Raleigh, NC, earlier this year. Since I've never played the course before, I join up with a couple of NC folks -- Stack, Kolling and Buddy -- for a practice round the night before a tournament round. It's just starting to get dark, and we're rounding into the back half of the course (hole 10?) -- a framed downhill tunnel shot of low trees, with a great big open route for the thumber.

We walk out of the woods and onto the teebox, look down the fairway, and it seems like there's some kind of animal moving behind the basket, but we can't tell what it is. I start walking down the fairway towards the basket, making some noise. All of a sudden the "animal" moves, and we see a girl stand up butt naked and realize the moving "animal" was a guy standing behind her. The girl had been bent forward, bracing herself on the basket with both hands while getting plowed from behind. The two of them are wearing nothing but their shoes, see us, and take off into the underbrush. Twenty seconds later, the guy runs back up, grabs an armload of clothes out of the basket and runs back off into the woods.

We all sit there for a minute or two, trying to figure out if we really just saw what we think we saw... Cedar Hill is not a particularly private course, and this was daylight on a Saturday evening. When it finally registers what happened, we all just bust out laughing and spend the rest of the round making jokes along the lines of "a whole new meaning to 'banging chains'."

My buddy and I are playing Zboaz in Fort Worth and we are one of the holes where there is lots of forest along the right side. We smell something horrible but he heads in to get his disc anyway. I am finally done looking around the edges to help him and stepped back just in time to a huge shock. To giant vultures come flying out of the area my buddy went into. He yells what was that. After I tell him, they perch way up high on this big tree and right when he finally come out of there, they flew off. He found his disc, but we did not go back to see what died. We are talking condor size turkey vultures. The stench was horrible, but the birds were so big, they even scared me. They could have carried off his 40 pound dog no problem. I have seen vultures like that in the zoo, but never in the wild like that.

Maybe not the funniest thing, but this should get a "worth mentioning."

So there is this group of 5 guys playing together and the BS and ribbing is in full force. We get to the last hole and this one guy keeps trying to get me off my game by yelling, "Foot Fault" after some of my drives. Man, did we have fun talking trash!

Anyway, it is really dry out with dust and sand everywhere; even the cement tees are slick. So, after yelling, "foot fault" on my last drive of the round. It is this guy's turn to throw. He slips off the end of the tee pad and goes head first into the ground. (Now he did not hit his head, but it was real close.) he rolls over his shoulder and jumps back up on his feet. So I scream, "HEAD FAULT! HEAD FAULT!" :D I can't believe the opportunity showed itself.

I have this saying, "Don't talk trash until after you throw." The reason for this is that: "Karma is a bitch!"

Ok, well after re-reading this, maybe it is one of those "you had to be there" knid of things, but I'll leave it in here anyway, since I typed it all out. :eek:

Latest posts