• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

Would have been better if the hawk caught the disc in his talons and dropped it into the basket.

Would that be an ace?

BBQ using pole hole

I remember a funny story Darrell Lynn PDGA#0784 and 1994 HOF inductee told me that one day in the early 80's he was playing on the newly installed course that he and Steady Ed had put in in '79. He said there was a couple on a blanket on hole 18 at the Meeman Shelby Forest course. they had put aluminum foil in the basket with charcoal and were getting ready to roast some hot dogs. LOL I thought i would share that one
Uncle Bob PDGA#3230

I remember a funny story Darrell Lynn PDGA#0784 and 1994 HOF inductee told me that one day in the early 80's he was playing on the newly installed course that he and Steady Ed had put in in '79. He said there was a couple on a blanket on hole 18 at the Meeman Shelby Forest course. they had put aluminum foil in the basket with charcoal and were getting ready to roast some hot dogs. LOL I thought i would share that one
Uncle Bob PDGA#3230

Yeah, you still hear stories today of people using baskets as BBQ pits. DG has been around for all this time and people still don't have a clue about it or what the baskets are really used for, lol.

Two Yellowstone stories;
First my friends and I are playing hole #9 at the Old Faithful Course (not listed on this site because it is just too friggin dangerous for people to just show up and try to play) and we are finishing up the hole and starting to walk to hole #10's tee when we see a bison carcass along the woodline (I do not have a picture) with two Bald Eagles and one Golden Eagle feeding on it. They let us get to about to about 50 feet before taking off and flying over us. Holy crap were they huge birds. That was the closest I have ever been to an Eagle in the wild.

Hole number 5 at the Old Faithful course is a long, 500 ft???, down hill shot either through a narrow gap or with a big hyzer FH or BH over trees that the locals play as a par 5. With the help of a sweet cross breeze I crush a fore hand drive deep of the target, which is unfortunately is right among some hotpots (holes filled with water that go from mildly warm to melt your flesh off hot). Its not super dangerous if you keep and eye on where you are stepping and I am excited thatI have a shot at a 2 on a par 5 so a walk real carefully to my disc line up my putt and when I take a step forward I break through thin ground and my foot sinks into scalding hot water. After screaming, I run to the Firehole River (which is really cold oddly enough) and soak my now bright red foot in the cold water. Final verdict, third degree burns on my foot. Scars have mostly faded by now, and ten years later and I would still go for that putt!

Last edited:
I watched this scene unfold at Crystal Lake Park in Beaver Dam, WI last yr.

The group in front of me was two guys, each carrying a few discs apiece who I could tell were both at least half in the bag. After following them for a few holes, one of the guys chucks his disc up into a tree, and it sticks. He and his friend circle the ground around the tree, looking up swearing and gesturing at the disc. The guys like "Aww man, how am I gonna get my disc down." (the tree had no branches lower than 15ft, so climbing was not an option)

So he takes his other disc and starts throwing it up to knock the first one out of the tree. I stopped and tried to tell him he'd be better off using a rock, but he would not be deterred, so I played through and watched. Sure enough, after a few throws, he had two discs stuck in the tree, and no more discs to throw.

At this point, most people would have noticed a trend, and tried something else (like a water bottle or a rock), but not this guy. He tried to borrow his friend's disc to "get his back", but his buddy, clearly the wiser of the two, wasn't about to let him. Now he has no more discs to throw, so he gets an idea.

Thats right folks, he takes one shoe off and starts using it to knock his disc down. Not only does he fail, he somehow manages to get the shoe stuck by its laces up in the tree. Logically, he decided at that point to use his remaining shoe to get the rest of them down.

Part of me was really hoping both shoes would get stuck so he would have no discs or shoes, because then he would've had no more options (other than maybe phone, keys or wallet), but he got the stuff down with the last shoe. Still,

Innova DX Drivers: $7 each

Reebok basketball Shoes: $50 for a pair

Getting all your discs and shoe stuck in the same tree: Priceless

The group in front of me was two guys, each carrying a few discs apiece who I could tell were both at least half in the bag. After following them for a few holes, one of the guys chucks his disc up into a tree, and it sticks. He and his friend circle the ground around the tree, looking up swearing and gesturing at the disc. The guys like "Aww man, how am I gonna get my disc down." (the tree had no branches lower than 15ft, so climbing was not an option)

So he takes his other disc and starts throwing it up to knock the first one out of the tree. I stopped and tried to tell him he'd be better off using a rock, but he would not be deterred, so I played through and watched. Sure enough, after a few throws, he had two discs stuck in the tree, and no more discs to throw.

At this point, most people would have noticed a trend, and tried something else (like a water bottle or a rock), but not this guy. He tried to borrow his friend's disc to "get his back", but his buddy, clearly the wiser of the two, wasn't about to let him. Now he has no more discs to throw, so he gets an idea.

Thats right folks, he takes one shoe off and starts using it to knock his disc down. Not only does he fail, he somehow manages to get the shoe stuck by its laces up in the tree. Logically, he decided at that point to use his remaining shoe to get the rest of them down.

Part of me was really hoping both shoes would get stuck so he would have no discs or shoes, because then he would've had no more options (other than maybe phone, keys or wallet), but he got the stuff down with the last shoe. Still,

:popcorn: why didn't you whip out your cell phone camera and record that. that would be the best DG video on youtube

On top of that, the course has terrible drainage, and it had just rained, so the whole course was a soupy, muddy mess. The guys socks looked (and probably smelled) like turds by the time he got his shoes back.

I was thinking for a second that it was a buddy of mine, but I think when he got his shoe stuck in a tree it wasn't in beaver dam. Plus he's had more than 2 discs for a long time...if the friend I'm thinking of is the one that got his shoe stuck in a tree trying to get a disc, it could be 1 of 2 friends I'm thinking of. Don't think it happened last year either.

Wasn't on the course, but I was using an innova x out to throw to my dog out in our yard. Sadly my first toss was right out into the soybean field behind our house. It took a while of telling my dog to look for "the frisbee" as he knows it, but he finally found it. A minute or less before he found it I heard my neighbor call out her son's name. Not too long after I saw the sherrif's car driving up our street and thought to myself, I wonder if they thought my dog was a stray. I was hidden a bit by some plants out near the field and don't know if my neighbor saw me telling my dog to try and find the disc. I really have to stop throwing drivers period in my yard, that or only do the Beto right peck and forward part of throwing.

First time I've seen this happen

Here's the long tee on hole #7 at Tyler State Park (notice the giant blockade-like walls that create an obstacle and force a specific lane):

DSC03612.JPG

One of the guys Kwick and I played with today teed off with a solid forearm drive...into the wall:

DSC03613.JPG

DSC03614.JPG

I thought it was pretty rad (hence the photos).

I'm was born in Arizona, lived here my whole life except three seasons on the N-Shore of Oah'u. I'm 50, been skateboarding since I was 5, at one time a quite serious board surfer, started hang gliding in the islands, snow surfing the mountains of the Southwest USA. I'm a fisherman, I love fly fishing the estuaries in the Sea of Cortez, I love watching pelicans surf un-broken waves as I cast my flys to seatrout. I enjoy watching fish bust up a ball of bait and then catching them with a mimic. I love flying, catching thermals, riding them up with birds, birds, speaking of birds and fish, I saw something pretty cool the other day on the course at Fountain Hills.

The course is around the lake that the fountain is housed in. August is hot in Arizona and this is the most humid time of the year. You sweat and it does not evaporate like it does in June or September. So I go early in the morning, 6a.

My interest is flying things. I enjoy the freedom. There are ducks, geese and other types of birds at fountain hills. Turkey Vultures, Red Tailed hawks but it is the Swifts that are the sports car of birds. They flit about here and there making instant turns, they catch bugs in the air with their tiny beaks at high speed.

This morning, it is the birds sweeping across the water collecting bugs just a few feet off the surface. When they dive down, the minnows in the water skatter and break the surface in a ruffle splatter of water and minnow trying to get out of the way of being eaten by the birds. If the bird flys low and straight, it pushes a wave of bait in front of it trying to escape. Yeah, just like far out in the Sea of Cortez on a panga, chasing the birds on the sea to a fish fight at the big bait ball but on a smaller scale. I was playing solo, my regular group out of town but I wanted to play pretty bad and I went. No one behind or ahead, I stand there putting my bag of discs down and watch the fiasco. The birds diving down to the water, the minnows skattering out of the way in front of the swift flitting about just above the surface, the surface disturbance going away where the minnows are thin but picking back up where they are concentrated...

I wasn't stoned, it was just cool, I was having one of those dreaming moments where one thing that is cool reminds you of another memory that was cool.

I played ****ty, muffed a couple of drives, blew a couple of putts, I bet I was in the 70's, screw it, I still had fun. On the phone my wife goes, "What, are you trying to get better than your friends?" and all I could really think of was, "Hell yeaah" *grinning*

Two weeks go by, we alternate from Vista to FH and it was a Saturday and again I am alone, I'm slated to play the fountain with my friends tomorrow, I'l be good and loose, I'll show those bastards... I was doing alright, getting some distance with some 150 class star plastic. The birds were out but they were not diving and gliding on the water, boring so I didn't stop and look.

Fountain Hills is a great course, what little elevation there is I believe it is put to pretty good use. There is this one hole that you are elevated about 25 or so feet up on the sidewalk is where the t pad is. I don't know, wait, I'll look at the info here. It's the 15th hole, a 472' drive to the basket. I love this hole, you are shooting downhill at about the perfect angle, the water really does not come into play unless you release wrong, and that is just about what I did.

I chose a heavier Star Valkyrie, a 162 that I had, brand new, not one throw. I wiped it with my towel, sort of shook it a couple of times, squared off with the basket, took a couple of steps back and sent it,,,, 10 degrees to the left of the pin at about 450', one of my longest throws and it knifes into the water.

DAMN IT!

What a long throw to have to do the walk of shame but I got to it and almost there, I pull out the golden retriever (I hate that name) unwound the cordage and slung it out where I thought my disc was, my new, one throw Star Valkyrie, ****!

The minnows splash their tiny little bait ball shower, but what was that. It looked like a extended bait shower run across the water but no birds? There it goes again, WTF? No, I can see what is caused it, there it goes again, the minnows are splashing in a line, a fast line as fast as the birds fly in a straight line but no birds, what? The swallows or swifts where fliting about across the bay sparking the minnow skatter but the minnows must be trained today in the mirror still water, they go in a straight line for 70 yards as fast as a bird would push them but there are no birds. I've been watching for five minutes now and it is going on almost all the time, unreal.

I am not stoned.

At one point, I saw four or five different bait line skatters and they would even intersect and keep going. They would sometimes peter out but would seem to stop instantly at some point. Many times the bait line would go straight to the cement lines slope shore. It would just stop, it wouldn't splat like thowing a water balloon, it just stopped. It was one of those weird moments in time where hundreds of thousands of some sort of minnows where displaying some sort of symbiotic movement, school movement but on a GIGANTIC scale. The water must have been teaming with the little minnows everywhere on it's surface. I threw about 40 times doing a systematic drag, no disc, done watching the minnows run without birds.

I finished out the course not thinking of the minnows, it was just something weird I filed away. I tried to write my story a couple of times but got distracted, I wanted to write the whole thing down in one sitting.

I don't get that many moments like that in disc golf, mostly I just share in smak talk with my friends, we stop for a safety meeting, we talk about our loves, driving a Porsche, paragliding, screw with each other and cheer each other on when we send one just right. But on this day, on a good throw just a little bit left of center, it took me to something truly animal weird.

I didn't even tell my friends, just you guys.

Maybe not a big deal but true.

e89acc99.jpg

You sweat and it does not evaporate like it does in June or September.

That's like all summer here :gross:. The early mornings are worse as the humidity is in the 70-85 percent range, so even if it is cool any sweat that forms has almost zero chance of evaporation. I've gone out days where half way through my skin all up and down my arms is just glossy with sweat. I'm so glad I chopped all my hair off though.

hangwind, you lost me at the third sentence. Do you have a yellow and black striped version of that story?