• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

It's more of a thing I just find odd. There's an older man who I've seen playing our home course a lot. I just find it odd that he wears almost knee high socks, especially on the more hot and humid days(today was beautiful).

What's the rough like on your course? Does the fairway get mowed regularly or is it long? I see quite a few high socks down here - sometimes the rough can get rough.

I wear knee high socks a lot. I find that I can almost saturate them with Off! and repel mosquitos. It comes in handy here in Middle TN because the bugs are awful this time of year.

It also keeps my legs from getting carved up when I have to go tromping through high grass or the woods after errant throws.

I wear knee high socks a lot. I find that I can almost saturate them with Off! and repel mosquitos. It comes in handy here in Middle TN because the bugs are awful this time of year.

It also keeps my legs from getting carved up when I have to go tromping through high grass or the woods after errant throws.

^Yup. If I end up in the poison ivy or thorns, I hike them up.

Go-go gadget socks!

uh, the water near 13 is a little gross.. actually, the water near 1, 5, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 15, 16 is pretty gross

What's the rough like on your course? Does the fairway get mowed regularly or is it long? I see quite a few high socks down here - sometimes the rough can get rough.

Mowed often enough, only some of the holes have tall grass off the fairway which isn't mowed too often. Though I've never ran into poison oak or ivy or anything of the sort, most of the rough is woods and big bushes.

Actually I'm surprised that right now I've only had one mosquito bite. I'd have figured by now that I'd be gassing myself before most rounds. I haven't had a need for off except one time at Vallarta-Ast, which wasn't for mosquitoes. I'm not sure what kind of fly it was or what it was, but they fly sort of like bees, never sting so probably not bees, but I've had issues with them before. I'll go into the woods for a second grab my disc then it has to buzz all over the place around me, maybe they are just aggravated bumble bees that aren't mad enough to sting...but last time I could barely concentrate with all the flies that were bothering me throughout the round. They always seem rather pissed though having to buzz around me a lot. I remember once having to be in constant movement because of how terrible the mosquitoes were there.

Last edited:
I pulled a Randy Johnson once and killed a bird with my drive, mid-flight. While it's unfortunate the the bird dropped straight to the ground after I hit it, the angle it deflected off at actually saved my potentially errant drive from going into the water!

My teenage daughter drilled a drive into the hillside on hole #9 @ Highbridge here in Spokane. Bright orange disk, she doesn't have a huge arm, kinda brushy but not solid and only kneehigh and we had a pretty good look where it went. We(4 of us) looked for 1/2 hr before moving on and came back after round for another 1/2 hr. Never did find it, figure she pulled a Buckaroo Bonzai and the Red Lectoids are useing it now! :)

It's more of a thing I just find odd. There's an older man who I've seen playing our home course a lot. I just find it odd that he wears almost knee high socks, especially on the more hot and humid days(today was beautiful). Actually now that I think about it I think it was him and/or someone in his group who said this while we waited for the others in front of us to finish. (as best as I can remember)"Oh a girl in a dress." "they're looking for a disc." "Don't worry, they don't need to be back to the commune until 10." This was all in reference to their hippie dress style, as a man in their group had dread locks which I think one of them commented on. That last part of the quotes is the only part I remember for sure, the rest I'm not sure on, but I believe the last one was in reference to them looking for a disc(taking their time or something to that extent). Oh and while me and my buddy had walked up the man with the dreads had hid "something" he was holding up to his mouth with 2 hands quickly in his pocket ;).

Eh, I wear high socks in summer on most courses...ticks, mosquitoes, poison ivy, thorns, chiggers....they offer a lot of protection and I can see things like ticks before they have a chance to feast on me.

On well manicured and/or park-style courses I will go with the shorter socks.

Eh, I wear high socks in summer on most courses...ticks, mosquitoes, poison ivy, thorns, chiggers....they offer a lot of protection and I can see things like ticks before they have a chance to feast on me.

me too, go team!

I keep saying I'm going to do this, but the way my legs got torn up last week I'm definitely going to do it from now on. I think I kinda freaked out the guy I was playing with when I came out of the woods and had blood dripping down my left leg.

Almost forgot to post this, but today on hole 3 at Morley, I joined a group and one of the players drives goes big (bout a 350+ toss), but in the wrong direction. It hooked towards the street, where it proceeded to hit a moving vehicle. It hit the windshield of an old Ford truck, cracking it badly and then the disc tumbled in to the truck bed. The driver of the truck stopped a few yards down the road and the player went over to apologize. The driver gave his disc back and said to not worry about the damage. He would have his insurance cover it. The player was on his second round and was so bummed he had just did that, so he left for the day...

I say call it a lucky shot.

Truck ACE FTW!!!! :thmbup:

Almost forgot to post this, but today on hole 3 at Morley, I joined a group and one of the players drives goes big (bout a 350+ toss), but in the wrong direction. It hooked towards the street, where it proceeded to hit a moving vehicle. It hit the windshield of an old Ford truck, cracking it badly and then the disc tumbled in to the truck bed. The driver of the truck stopped a few yards down the road and the player went over to apologize. The driver gave his disc back and said to not worry about the damage. He would have his insurance cover it. The player was on his second round and was so bummed he had just did that, so he left for the day...

I've seen a similar shot on 7 at Morley, pulled it right, bounced off the windshield of a car coming up the road there, somehow ended up back in bounds.

Pretty cool fella not to get angry about it.

I have seen some strange things at my local disc golf courses.
When I play at Rawlinson Road Middle these group of kids who are either 13 or 14 years of age usually drive a golf cart around that pisses me off. Well one time their golf cart broke down on the course and they had to push it up a ditch. It was so funny watching them for 10 minutes trying to push that thing. I haven't seen them since this has happened.
Tuesday I was playing at my local church course when I saw a used condom in the church cemetery. I don't even want to know who the sick person is who used the condom.
Today I was playing at York Middle School when I found a dead animal tied with a rope to some sort of metal post. It looked like it may have been a cat. This really made me mad because it is messed up that someone would do something like that. I hope whoever did it gets caught for animal cruelty!

Tim G and I saw a girl playing by herself last night at Ellison. May not be strange in some areas of the country, but here it seems like its rare to see girls play at all.

Today I was playing at York Middle School when I found a dead animal tied with a rope to some sort of metal post. It looked like it may have been a cat. This really made me mad because it is messed up that someone would do something like that. I hope whoever did it gets caught for animal cruelty!

I hope they catch this guy. Sounds like a serial killer in the making. :(

Tim G and I saw a girl playing by herself last night at Ellison. May not be strange in some areas of the country, but here it seems like its rare to see girls play at all.

Hey... I saw this for the first time at Morley also. She tee-d off and was alone not looking for anyone to join her either. She was decent too.

Last edited:

Latest posts