• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Funniest/weirdest thing you've seen on the course

My funniest experience in DG...

I was playing my local course which is a very wooded very tight technical course. I was just about to drive a bulls eye style hole so i decided to thumber as it usually works. The disc was released bad and hit a tree. Unfortunately for me the tree had a hole in it at the top, and my disc went right in then fell down a hollow part of the tree. Damn tree....

A few years back I had just finished playing Acorn Park in Roseville Mn and was standing near the water on hole 1 chatting with the guy that fishes discs out to see if he had anything good. It was a nice mid summer day. Both of us heard what sounded like a girl yelling/crying so we took a few steps toward the sound when a kid, maybe 12 or 13 with buck teeth, came riding on a bike towards us screaming, kinda quiet screaming but the kind when you are actually scared, with a deer chasing him. Not a big one, it didn't have spots but it wasn't much older than that.

He pulled up next to us and asked us to save him from the deer. Meanwhile the deer stopped running and just stood there about 5 feet from him, panting. So being sllightly evil I told the kid to relax, deer can sense fear, it makes them attack. He is on the verge of tears at this point. He said the deer had been chasing him for about 10 minutes. I calmed him down and after about 10 minutes the deer went to the waterhole and started drinking and I told the kid to leave.

The deer stayed there longer than I did, at times he was so close to me I could have petted him. Later on I heard the rest of the story. The kid had been apparently chasing the thing on his bike until the deer got fed up and returned the favor. Made me feel better about the sensing fear thing.

My strangest/funniest DG moment came when I was playing one of the heavily wooded holes at Brent Hambrick Memorial Course (aka Hoover) a couple of years ago. It was a slow day and at this point my buddy and me hadn't seen anyone else for at least half an hour. As we stood at the teepad selecting our discs we heard something crashing through the brush. A moment later we saw a large deer haul butt across the fairway maybe about 75 feet in front of us. Hot on its heels was a very large dog (best guess is Malamute) that we had seen with another group of disc golfers much earlier in the day. The whole event probably lasted about 10 seconds but it was so unexpected time felt frozen, and then we had a big laugh about it saying "godspeed doggie".

Some very typical, kinda funny things have happened to me and my freinds as well.

One that I've tried not to repeat is hitting cars. I was teeing off Hole#2 On Texas State West Campus (San Marcos, TX), and next to the tee box is a county highway. I happened to fling my backhand in to the grill of an oncoming police tahoe. I mean, beamed the **** out of his grill. If it was a headlight I would have been toast, but he just kept driving. That StarSL still has the scar to prove it.

Was playing a private course once and watched a dog chase some elk through the course- it was high fenced. That dog had a damn blast, but the elk were never seen again that day. Come to think of it- they did look awfully skinny- might be a weekly field trip for the dog.

I've had my share of mud stickers, caught-in-cages, etc. Those are good. I've happened to fall in through the top of the cage once or twice, and bounced off trees in to the basket as well.

I once hit my friend. I told him to be careful and that he should probably stand behind me (rather than behind the Charlie Borwn XMas tree, 15ft. in front of me). He stuck his nose out just enough to get whacked when I threw. He stands behind me now.

Lastly, another cohort of mine was tossing a nice dyed EliteZ Flick (I believe). Off to the side of the hole was some power lines. As he releases the disc heads straight to the power lines. This is a pretty thick strand of braided line and he happens to lodge his disc perfectly between two of these braided wires (which were shielded). His disc was STUCK. We threw rocks, sticks, discs, hell and everything in between. That disc stayed there for a week (and even worse he lived by the course so he got to drive by it everyday cry) and then one day it was gone. Never to be seen again.

I've hit my own truck (after the second crease in my tailgate I learned where not to park).
Once, we spotted this classic looking Chevy Beretta. Everybody knows this things isn't anyone's dream car, but this owner had a spotless, bright red Chevy Beretta Euro addition. Yes Euro addition. So we play past the car and make some remarks about how someone invested a lot of time in keeping that thing spotless. As we come around for round two I hit the car, creasing a quarter panel. That car was so ugly after that blemish... sorry dude.

I forgot about this story till I read about the elk:

About 9 months ago, I was at my home course playing with my brother and another guy we met on the course. The course is heavily wooded, and is next to a popular park. As we were coming up the #5 fairway, I started hearing something that sounded just like a semi-truck popping his air brakes. Being a trucker myself, I am very familiar with the sound. This park is not very big, and the road to the park is quite narrow, and I starting thinking "who the hell is taking a big rig to the park?" I was thinking maybe it was a dump truck that belonged to the parks dept or something.

As we headed for the basket, I saw what the sound was, and it wasn't a truck. Standing on the #6 concrete tee was a huge male deer, and he was not happy. Apparently we had gotten between him and his doe and her fawn, and he was pissed! The sound I was hearing was him snorting at us. I was shocked at the fact that it sounded just like a truck popping the air brakes.

We each took out a driver as a weapon, and were ready to throw if he came at us. The fawn and doe ran past, and I guess he was happy about that, and he gave us one last snort, and took off into the woods. It was a little nerve racking, because I had never seen a deer that big, and one that got pissed at me. Lets just say we were all a little on edge after that.

Not sure this counts...but.

I was driving home from Giles Run, on Furnace Road, when I spot a red disc on the side of the road! I stopped and picked it up (not the safest thing to do) and called the disc owner. He laughed, saying that he hated that disc and probably gave it away a while ago. To this day, I have no idea how someone would have gotten the disc onto the road, as it was a good 100 yards away from the cosest hole. Best I could figure out, the person launched it from the "scenic overlook" near Hole 15.

The disc is a Oddessy, with a weird translucent inner disc surrounded by a DX type rim... very heavy disc that I've used maybe once since finding it.

I remember about a year ago or so I saw 3 people playing , but they were riding bikes on the course, not walking. They all couldn't throw very far, so I still don't know why they just didn't lock up their bikes and walk. It was strange to see.

I was playing by myself on a course and came up to the final hole and there were two guys waiting at the tee pad. There was a 400 pound woman, about 50 years old, wearing a moo moo, smoking a marlboro 100, and flying a kite right beside the basket. She looked exactly like the old lady in Throw Mama From the Train. They had been yelling various things at her for a few minutes but she would not move. They said I could go ahead and throw if I wanted. It's about a 300' wide open hole and having confidence in my teebird I decided to go ahead and throw. I parked it for the birdie and started heading to the car.

As I was walking to the car I turned around just in time to see one of the guys discs flying right towards the lady. I did not have time to yell before the disc hit the ground about 5 feet from her. I walked up to her and said "Do you realize you are in the fairway of a disc golf course?" She imediately yelled "Larry!!!" "This Mother ****er says I can't fly my kite here!" and I look around and see a huge biker type getting out of his truck.

I walked over to Larry and am explaining to him how dangerous it is to stand where his mother is standing when all of a sudden a disc comes flying and hits the old lady perfectly in the back of the knee which caused her to collapse like she had been hit by Mike Tyson. Larry ran to help his mother and I got in my car and drove away.

Holy Crap that is funny. I would have sat in my car and watched the fireworks.

I second that. This was one of the best disc golf related stories that I have ever heard. I am also impressed that you tried to explain the situation to Larry the biker.

I second that. This was one of the best disc golf related stories that I have ever heard. I am also impressed that you tried to explain the situation to Larry the biker.

I guess I would have broken the ice by asking what kind of motorcycle he rides.

A few weeks ago I was warming up at Cedar Hills in Raleigh, NC. The second tee is about 30' away from the basket for hole 1. My partner was teeing off on two when a disc flew right by my head, missing me by only a foot. Well, it may had missed me but the my partner turned around just in time for the disc to hit him directly in the family jewels. He dropped like a rock. I didnt know whether to laugh or take him to the emergency room. He was ok after a couple of minutes and we had a great laugh the rest of the afternoon.

I was playing by myself on a course and came up to the final hole and there were two guys waiting at the tee pad. There was a 400 pound woman, about 50 years old, wearing a moo moo, smoking a marlboro 100, and flying a kite right beside the basket. She looked exactly like the old lady in Throw Mama From the Train. They had been yelling various things at her for a few minutes but she would not move. They said I could go ahead and throw if I wanted. It's about a 300' wide open hole and having confidence in my teebird I decided to go ahead and throw. I parked it for the birdie and started heading to the car.

As I was walking to the car I turned around just in time to see one of the guys discs flying right towards the lady. I did not have time to yell before the disc hit the ground about 5 feet from her. I walked up to her and said "Do you realize you are in the fairway of a disc golf course?" She imediately yelled "Larry!!!" "This Mother ****er says I can't fly my kite here!" and I look around and see a huge biker type getting out of his truck.

I walked over to Larry and am explaining to him how dangerous it is to stand where his mother is standing when all of a sudden a disc comes flying and hits the old lady perfectly in the back of the knee which caused her to collapse like she had been hit by Mike Tyson. Larry ran to help his mother and I got in my car and drove away.

I once hit my friend. I told him to be careful and that he should probably stand behind me (rather than behind the Charlie Borwn XMas tree, 15ft. in front of me). He stuck his nose out just enough to get whacked when I threw. He stands behind me now.

These stories make me laugh a lot. Then again I can watch crothch shots on America's Funniest Home Videos all day long.

I guess I would have broken the ice by asking what kind of motorcycle he rides.

me too ... we riders are always happy to talk bikes. Hilarious story to read and visualize. You did a good thing trying to reason with larry.

Latest posts