• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Fuse GoldLine vs Opto vs Opto X

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Anyone have experience with the Fuse Goldline vs the Opto X, or at a bare minimum the Opto?

I've had an Opto Goldline since I started playing and used to love it! It helped me to get easy distance and straight to tiny turn right flight path. But not too long after I started playing and my distance started increasing, it's been too touchy to use on the course. It turns right SO hard with even 70% power.

But... I love the idea of the disc! I super glidey, easy to throw disc that can either go straight forever with little effort on powered down shots, or with a little more power have a nice soft but continuasly turning to the right anhyzer flight path. But my Goldline goes WAY to far right usually and is so hard to control.

So does anyone who has the Opto X version have any experience with an Opto or Goldline version? And how do they compare as far as flight path, stability, ease of throwing it where you want it to go and glide to the Goldline? Because if the Opto X/Opto is a little straighter or has an easier to control anhyzer flight path, I'm totally going to pick one up for my U/S mid. Just not sure if the Opto X plastic will ruin it's unique glide and ability to turn right, or just help keep it from having SO much anhyzer flight path?

Thanks

I own and throw the Fuse in recycled, gold, opto, and opto-X. You want Fuses to be heavy, and you want them with some dome.

Avoid lightweight or flat fuses. They are not good examples of the mold and, thankfully, are generally in the minority of fuse stock.

I have generally found that as long as they are domey and heavy, a fuse is a fuse regardless of the plastic type. That being said, Opto-X will have a noticeable amount more hss. It will resist turn, but if you DO turn it, it will fight back only about as much as any other fuse. And naturally opto will retain its stability longer than goldline, which in turn will retain it longer than recycled.

Throwing a fuse is about being smooth and not overpowering the mold unless you intend to. If you are flipping a fuse uncontrollably, then slow down and focus on being smooth. They don't need a rip to fly as far as many mids. And if your fuse is a few seasons old, it may just be less stable than it once was.

Molds like the fuse (and comet, and other neutral molds) will generally show you if you are doing something wrong. So if you can't control your fuse, it's probably hinting at something being off in your pull rather than the disc itself.

As for your other question: No, Opto-X does not impact the glide of the mold. It's really just naturally domey and rigid, which gives it some more HSS without impacting much else.

Last edited:
Here's a thread from back in the day that has a lot of good info about Fuse.

I throw Comets primarily but have found the Fuse to be very similar. Completely different rim, however. Really solid disc that goes very far for a mid and is great for carving lines in the woods.

Here's a thread from back in the day that has a lot of good info about Fuse.

I throw Comets primarily but have found the Fuse to be very similar. Completely different rim, however. Really solid disc that goes very far for a mid and is great for carving lines in the woods.

Brother Dave made a post in that thread that is exactly what I'm looking for:

Opto X Fuse acquired. Same Fuse glide, same Fuse (lack of) LSS, slight but noticeable increase in HSS. Profile is indistinguishable from regular Fuse, it's just stiffer plastic. The Opto X will actually hold an anhyzer and pan out if given enough height. I had one throw where I thought I had burned it but it actually fought out of it long enough to park the hole. The regular Fuse requires absolute finesse to hyzer flip and stay straight but the Opto X goes straight with much less quibble. It's just an easier to throw, less touchy Fuse which is indeed pretty awesome.

Thanks. I'm adding an Opto X version to my bag ;)