• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Blaze

S Blazes fly similar to an eagle depending on the run. The E Blazes varied with some domed and others flat but if you just found one that felt good to you it would be a very valuable and versatile disc.

Nikko throws an orange one that had been in his bag for 5 years and in virtually undamaged. I got rid of all my Gateway in a big trade and 6 pink/orange blazes from that run were involved....and I wish they weren't!

Faster Sentinel......BOOM

After field work yesterday, I decided I liked my Stingray a lot for mid duties, but its understable so, I had that Orange HPP Blaze and decided to use it. Its not technically a mid but really, a Stingray is on the faster end of mids itself being an old school driver, and the Blaze isnt that far off.

I'm glad I did, cause not just for mid duties, but I found my Pred going a bit further for me than normal to where it was overshooting holes. Gave the Blaze a shot and it performed perfectly like a shorter Pred.

I thought I would miss the blaze but I've been using the Drone in that spot and it's great. Now that it's broken-in it has a bit more glide and I'm actually starting to throw it long on some holes... still has great fade though.

After field work yesterday, I decided I liked my Stingray a lot for mid duties, but its understable so, I had that Orange HPP Blaze and decided to use it. Its not technically a mid but really, a Stingray is on the faster end of mids itself being an old school driver, and the Blaze isnt that far off.

actually, a Stingray is one of Innova's slower mid ranges still in production. It is larger diameter and that generally makes for a slower disc.

Hi fellow disc golfers, first post here! I recently bought a 175g HPP Blaze and I was surprised that it's actually more stable than overstable, as people here were comparing it more to a whippet or drone, which I believe are really overstable. I get a very nice straight flight with my Blaze when releasing flat and it seems like after losing speed, there's no more glide on the disc and it just falls down left. Not a very big fade in my opinion. Is this how it's supposed to be or is it just a weird run? It's a little bit translucent, slick and quite hard plastic, a bit like Innova's Champion.

However, it's a very nice disc which I haven't got a chance to use on my home course much, yet. I bought a 170g star TL at the same time and being new it's quite close to my Blaze, it has forward penetrating fade which my Blaze doesn't have, thus the TL gets a bit more distance.

Very nice forum you have here, a lot of good and interesting stuff!

That's a weird Blaze you've got there. Most of them are very overstable. As most have said, it's whippet/drone like. Like a combo of the two, really. I have a clear HPP one that is massively overstable. The only disc that I've thrown that was more OS is one of the newer run(12x era) champ firebirds.

I'll be throwing the HPP up on the MP pretty quick, so ya'll can look forward to that ;)

Mine's not stupid overstable more like a slightly worn DX Viper. Still though, good for winds and hook shots.

Not a very big fade in my opinion. Is this how it's supposed to be or is it just a weird run? It's a little bit translucent, slick and quite hard plastic, a bit like Innova's Champion.
It sounds weird to me. FWIW, that's how "normal" Blazes tend to beat in.

Ok, I thought it should be clearly overstable, that's what I was looking for. In my local shop there were 3 HPP Blazes left and the other two were gummier and more rubbery. They could be decent but I think I won't be buying them though as they had a red wine -like colour, looked like they're easy to lose. I think they won't be ordering pretty much anything during the winter so I'll have to wait it seems.

BTW tried my Blaze today on my home course and it was a bit windy. It seemed like it flipped just a little bit and went dead straight until it didn't have any carry left and fell down on a slight fade. So when it gets really windy I think this won't work too well. When I say "fall down" by that I mean the disc doesn't seem to have any power left in it and just lazily falls down when fading and stays pretty much where it lands. Could be good when approaching..

Thanks for your info everyone!

BTW tried my Blaze today on my home course and it was a bit windy. It seemed like it flipped just a little bit and went dead straight until it didn't have any carry left and fell down on a slight fade. So when it gets really windy I think this won't work too well. When I say "fall down" by that I mean the disc doesn't seem to have any power left in it and just lazily falls down when fading and stays pretty much where it lands. Could be good when approaching..
The Blaze is still a pretty slow driver so it won't penetrate that well in a headwind. It will hold its stability well, though. It's great for long putter or most midrange shots in a headwind. It's not great if you need more distance than that, though. That's one of the reasons many people choose faster discs for their very overstable driver slot.

Just got out for a (terrible) round and got to throw this thing in rust-colored e plastic. Holy balls, it turns slow. Definitely a pig. Could also be my terrible throwing in the snow and cold, but man...it cannot shape short lines on tommy and thumber approaches like my banshee or even my cpd can. Might be relegated to hurricane duty, I'll put the cpd in at utiltity. We won't know for sure until spring finally gets here...fun to throw, though. Basically what I was looking for, something os enough for a fairway and mid slot, maybe even down to putters. Just wish I could shape shorter overhand lines with it.

I'm not into OH shots much so I don't know much what is it about there. I've recently taken my Blaze out for rounds, I hadn't thrown it in a while. It's still the old reliable. Great disc and I was thinking of buying a new one in E plastic :)

well, today was a little warmer so i got two rounds in. ample time to use it - i'm surprised this disc doesn't get a little more love.

OH, it has a little more lateral movement than i would like and pans out slower, but i can accommodate for that by playing with release angles. easy to throw long from a standstill, too.

can't throw rollers - snow=not happening. so i'm not sure if it will replace the banshee yet.

since i throw LHFH and RHBH, lots of times i will opt to throw forehand anny instead of backhand anny on short shots - it's just much easier and more accurate, i feel. this disc truly does not give a ****. i had a fairly sharp and short right turn to make after i shanked a drive. i put some steep anny on it, hung it out high and watched as it took the anny angle, then tried to fight out of the anny as it flattened out and drifted PERFECTLY straight around the corner. pretty awesome feeling, parked the shot to save par. if i only i could flick right handed, haha. would be so much easier.

all in all, i think it has a spot in my bag. disregard my previous post. :p

I would just like to say, it's threads like this that remind me of the friends who have left us, and our new friends who have joined.

This is a great disc. I managed to get a free one and tried it out for a bit...great for overhand shots, rollers, and hyzer lines. It just couldn't do enough to kick my Firebird out of the bag!

^^^It's not suppose to kick the Firebird out, just compliment it nicely. It would say things like, "Oh lovely fade," or, "Nice Spike-Hyzer," or, "I love how you resist the wind."

actually, a Stingray is one of Innova's slower mid ranges still in production. It is larger diameter and that generally makes for a slower disc.

Um, actually no. Stingray is 21.7cm so the same as a roc. And they are FAST having a much more driver like nose.:\

IDK but I realized Im trying to argue with a 3year old post. I should probably get out and throw.

haha.

well, there's been a bit of competition and shuffling around to see what gets thrown in my bag and where.

i've gone back to the banshee, thrown a champ eagle in the bag, checked out a firebird just to see if it could take over the banshee role as well (it can't, FB is way too OS, it's ridiculous).

i think i'm going to stay with the blaze for a while longer. it suits a fairway/mid tweener role, it's very controllable and slow. my champ eagle withstands some decent wind, not as much as a banshee, but enough to where i feel i don't necessarily need one.

i feel the blaze is more like a slow, controllable banshee. it goes straight and then fades and nothing stops it from doing so. i was amazed, throwing it into a 25 mph headwind as it tracked slightly right maybe a foot and just held the line, slowly gliding along like a little hovering turtle, just doin' it's thing.

if i want a faster turn on a thumber or tomahawk i'll use the champ eagle. it'll probably be a better short roller too. i don't like skip when i need a good headwind drive, or in general really. blaze suits my playing style just fine.

i might even see if it could replace my zone with a little powering down, but that's for another day.

Latest posts