• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway misconceptions and viewpoints

This has all been very interesting and fun to read. One thing I don't agree with so far is the idea that they have great customer service. I've wanted an Evo (or other premium like) plastic Cheif for quite some time and have emailed them at least 3 times over the past few months. They have never gotten back to me. Why is this? Do I need to actually call them directly? I've been told by people on this forum that they have Evo Chiefs at their shop; is this misinformation?

Same issue. I guess this is normal. I'll have to make a call late at night to compensate for the time difference. Anyone else know where to get an Evo Chief?

Are you sure anyone at Gateway knows how to turn on a computer?

I know what you mean, I loved this companies stuff, but I still haven't gotten the Assassins I paid for the day after Thanksgiving, dude said in an email he would check on it, that was mid December, hasn't responded since.

All of there shipping lately has been slower, and some errors as well. i've had some problems with my po box but they messed up on a couple of orders and normally they make up for it and send extra discs too.

i'd add the guys on facebook, mike wood justin dave mac

normally they respond to my questions pretty fast, otherwise call the store, they are sales reps waiting to take orders, why send off an email that they probably wouldn't see?

This is going way back to the pdga forum days but Dave Mac was very accessible back then. He was anwering all of the questions and promoting gateway. I think that really helped build the brand. Gateway has come out with some great mids and putters in the past few years but they don't get the attention they deserve.

I'm a disc minimalist interested in exploring Gateway. What would make a good two-disc midrange combo from Gateway?

I'm thinking Mystic/Karma. (I'm not looking for something super OS)

What do you think?

I'm not up do date with the Mystic and Karma but the Warrior/Element is the traditional pairing.

I'm a disc minimalist interested in exploring Gateway. What would make a good two-disc midrange combo from Gateway?

What do you think?

Warrior is going to be their most OS offering in the mid dept. It is beefy but not a total meathook.

Honestly I would run with a Karma/Warrior. S plastic seasons up pretty quick so that once-stable Karma will season to straight after a few rounds.
If you opt to go with Evo plastic, Warrior/Element is a safe bet as well.

What do you think?
I personally say the scout and Warrior. The scout starts off straight and will beat into a good turnover disc and the warriors, especially the new flat ones are pretty straight to fade without being overly beefy.

I'm not up do date with the Mystic and Karma but the Warrior/Element is the traditional pairing.

The karma element is more traditional in my eyes, I believe they are based off some of the same mold pieces.

Warrior is going to be their most OS offering in the mid dept. It is beefy but not a total meathook.

Honestly I would run with a Karma/Warrior. S plastic seasons up pretty quick so that once-stable Karma will season to straight after a few rounds.

I would personally say an evo karma/element would be a good bet, if you have a normal arm and not a Jcass and beyond arm. If you have a 400' arm then definitely an evo warrior and evo element. The s plastic will beat in real quick, get some of the firmer white or off white blends.

I thought the Demon is their beefiest mid?

Same issue. I guess this is normal. I'll have to make a call late at night to compensate for the time difference. Anyone else know where to get an Evo Chief?
They do, they have posted some on FB. Calling them is definitely the answer or FB

Are you sure anyone at Gateway knows how to turn on a computer?

Sometimes I don't think so.

I bought an S series Voodoo and I really loved it, great putter but I ended up being offered a really good trade so I let it go. I ordered an SSS Voodoo to replace and it was so much stiffer then just the S series. After a few throws I found out I love this one even more then the original......yet the popular conundrum applies here too, how do I replace this one when it wears out? I have 0 hands on access to anything Gateway anywhere near me so its all online only. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with just about any Voodoo however as stated multiple times above the consistency is not there. My suggestion being scrap the S, SS, SSS, and SSSS measuring system and start new so we know where the break is and keep plastic in the new ranges. If I order offline I'd really like to know what I'm going to get out of it and not wonder why my SSS is wood stiff where my old S had some give to it. Stress test the blends, categorize them and eliminate the confusion. I think more people would start looking at Gateway if they knew exactly what they were buying sight unseen.
Marketing is another concern but well outside of my area of expertise. All I can say is for the first 3 years I played all I had access to was sports page and walmart meaning all I had was Innova. I met a guy at the local disc golf park and he asked me why I wasn't throwing a wizard......which I had no clue what that even was until he showed me. The majority of players just play recreationaly for fun especially in the smaller town environments don't get exposed to smaller companies. If they don't see it on facebook or twitter they aren't even aware of its existence even in today's digital over exposure. Start small, work your way up. Get your product under control then get your foot in the door to a walmart, kmart, or even smaller shopko's and whatever. Get your name out there on facebook and visually referenced when even your standard Joe Schmo starts browsing discs. Keep your product solid and just upgrade with a shiny new logo. My Voodoo has a small shiny canjun with a tophat, blow that up so it covers the whole disc and visually draws the eyes to it. Bold up a Voodoo name on one side and the plastic PLUS disc stats on the other (Can't stand it when stats aren't on discs). In general the bigger and cooler the art is the quicker the eye will catch it. If its on a disc you know its a beast such as a Wizard, Assassin, Voodoo, etc even the better. Pro's and Am's would appreciate it even more.

What do you think?

Warrior is a good straight to stable mid. Element is probably one of the most underrated discs. Perfect hyzerflip mid.

The Element is a great mid. I prefer the Scout to it and while the Chief OS isn't technically a mid in my opinion it's the best disc they make.

I live in St. Louis and I spoke to Dave in the shop about Evo Chiefs and Chief OS's. He told me that he'd eventually get around to it, but he's been trying to sell the business so he hasn't really been focused on upping production.

The Element is a great mid. I prefer the Scout to it and while the Chief OS isn't technically a mid in my opinion it's the best disc they make.

Wouldn't say the best, but it is in there top three for me.

I live in St. Louis and I spoke to Dave in the shop about Evo Chiefs and Chief OS's. He told me that he'd eventually get around to it, but he's been trying to sell the business so he hasn't really been focused on upping production.

Hadn't heard of this, not incredibly surprised though. The evo stuff will have a dome. I'll bet that now.

Last edited:
I bought an S series Voodoo and I really loved it, great putter but I ended up being offered a really good trade so I let it go. I ordered an SSS Voodoo to replace and it was so much stiffer then just the S series. After a few throws I found out I love this one even more then the original......yet the popular conundrum applies here too, how do I replace this one when it wears out? I have 0 hands on access to anything Gateway anywhere near me so its all online only. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with just about any Voodoo however as stated multiple times above the consistency is not there. My suggestion being scrap the S, SS, SSS, and SSSS measuring system and start new so we know where the break is and keep plastic in the new ranges. If I order offline I'd really like to know what I'm going to get out of it and not wonder why my SSS is wood stiff where my old S had some give to it. Stress test the blends, categorize them and eliminate the confusion. I think more people would start looking at Gateway if they knew exactly what they were buying sight unseen.
Marketing is another concern but well outside of my area of expertise. All I can say is for the first 3 years I played all I had access to was sports page and walmart meaning all I had was Innova. I met a guy at the local disc golf park and he asked me why I wasn't throwing a wizard......which I had no clue what that even was until he showed me. The majority of players just play recreationaly for fun especially in the smaller town environments don't get exposed to smaller companies. If they don't see it on facebook or twitter they aren't even aware of its existence even in today's digital over exposure. Start small, work your way up. Get your product under control then get your foot in the door to a walmart, kmart, or even smaller shopko's and whatever. Get your name out there on facebook and visually referenced when even your standard Joe Schmo starts browsing discs. Keep your product solid and just upgrade with a shiny new logo. My Voodoo has a small shiny canjun with a tophat, blow that up so it covers the whole disc and visually draws the eyes to it. Bold up a Voodoo name on one side and the plastic PLUS disc stats on the other (Can't stand it when stats aren't on discs). In general the bigger and cooler the art is the quicker the eye will catch it. If its on a disc you know its a beast such as a Wizard, Assassin, Voodoo, etc even the better. Pro's and Am's would appreciate it even more.

Phantomdiscs.com
Great guy to buy Gateway from, will help you find the feel you're looking for.