• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting back into it

Brockness Monster

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn
Hello Everyone. I started playing in college 8 years ago, but quit 2 years in due to a back injury. I am now getting back into it and would like to know if my setup is ok. I can throw a midrange 200-250', but have broken 300' a few times. I am primarily RHBH, but I have been actively working on RHFH and Thumbers. I also live near Monterey, CA which is very windy.

My Bag:

170g R-Pro Aviar PnA x5
180g Champ Mako3 x2
175g Luster Leo3
175g DX Teebird
175g MF Teebird
175g Madi Walker Glow Champ Teebird
175g Star Valkyrie
168g Star Wraith
175g Champ Wraith
170g Pro Wraith
175g Alex G Glow Champ Firebird

The Leo3, all Teebirds and the Champ Wraith are brand new additions based on what I have been reading. I am in the camp of believing that powering down a Firebird shot is better than having an OS Mid, but I am curious about what everyone's input is. Also, I do not really throw the Wraiths yet. I do not have the form for it and I am trying to do this the right way. The only reason they are there is because I used to be able to throw them and love the way they fly.

No this setup is not ok. Will never work.

Goodness. Why does everyone need so stinking much reassurance? Go throw. If the discs don't travel through the air you may have a problem. Otherwise, enjoy!

I find your post less than constructive and I am puzzled as to why you felt the need to post this response on a newbie forum where people are looking for answers that would help them play the game better. Please, in the future, post things that are constructive to new players on a forum specifically for new players

Your setup is fine, run with it.

I could totally throw your bag, I would just need either a more stable up shot or mid range disc.

Turnip is just messing with you. Welcome to DGCR where you never know what kind of response you'll get. Best to grow a thick skin and let info that doesn't apply roll off.

Thank You Keller. So upshot is basically the same as approach right? If I were to go for a more stable mid, should I be worried about glide? I have been eyeing the Rat and Caiman (not yet released), but they have terrible glide and I am not much of a fan of beaded discs so far.

Yeah, upshot/approach, basically the same.

For me it's an overstable disc with little glide. I pretty much want to throw it where it goes, I don't want any unexpected glide floating me by my target.

I use a Rhyno, but there are beadless options out there. The AviarX3 seems to be getting some love as is the Rat, but I haven't tried either one yet.

If you're not married to Innova, there are a lot of other options too.

good setup. Rhyno is a good disc to use as both a putter and midrange. I throw about what you do, BTW...

Thank You Keller. So upshot is basically the same as approach right? If I were to go for a more stable mid, should I be worried about glide? I have been eyeing the Rat and Caiman (not yet released), but they have terrible glide and I am not much of a fan of beaded discs so far.

Check out an ESP Zone. Low profile, no bead, putter diameter but faster and very overstable. If you are working on a FH and live somewhere windy, this is a great approach disc and can handle any wind with clean backhand form. It's definitely not a beginner thrower disc, so I hesitate to recommend it in some ways, but if you live somewhere windy and want a useful disc on the course this one is great.

Low glide is good for this. Less glide means less wind interference. They only go as far as you throw them...sometimes less. You have other discs to go far and glide, these are meant to drop from the sky and stop near the basket.

You can throw your normal putters to get used to how to throw regular approach shots, but in the wind it can be tricky with a neutral and glidey putter. Basically don't use a Zone as a crutch, learn to throw your putters and midranges, but something like that is useful if you want something overstable for approaches.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am gonna pick up a Zone and a Rhyno and test them out against a powered down firebird shot. I have a feeling I will see some benefits to the slower discs, but will it be enough to make the bag.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am gonna pick up a Zone and a Rhyno and test them out against a powered down firebird shot. I have a feeling I will see some benefits to the slower discs, but will it be enough to make the bag.

Get a tank instead of a Rhyno! They're gooder.

Also, love the username!

I second the AviarX3. those things are incredible, and are super reliable for both approach and as driving putters. They're crazy overstable and have less glide and more fade than other aviars.

you might also wanna try out a roc3 or X3 as another midrange option for shots that need more of a hook fade at the end. Makos are great to laser straight throws but I prefer a roc for dogleg shaped holes.

Update

I settled on the Aviarx3 as an os upshot/driving putter. The feel is similar to my Aviar P&A, which was a big selling point for me. I am still thinking about trying a Rhyno, but I haven't had the chance to hold one yet and I am worried the rim is too deep. On another note i put a 200ft upshot in the basket with a Mako3 a couple weeks ago. Granted I only parred that hole, but I was so stoked to get it. I have been parking my Mako3 upshots under the basket alot lately so I am hoping i can get there with the Aviarx3 as well