• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting out of a slump?

shankopotomus

Bogey Member
we all have periods where the plastic is not flying the way you want. so what do you do? play your way (increased outings) out of it? same old same old and just let your self fall out of it? time off? back to basics?

I'm just curious what you guys like to do.

:thmbdown:I'm in a bad slump.10 strokes+.Sucks.Confidence is key. I'm in a good hole, bad hole hole. When there good there good,and when there bad, there way bad.:doh:

what do baseball players do when theyre in a slump? just take some steroids and youll be out of that slump quick

I just do what I would have done anyway. I don't stop playing, and I don't play extra, I just try to figure out what's going wrong and try to fix it. I will occasionally do extra putting practice if that's the part of my game that's slumping.

If you have them, take out a bag full of your 'non-throwing' discs for a while. Get some strange, so to speak. If you throw a bad round then you can blame it on unfamiliar plastic. If not, then you might rediscover an old disc that you thought you didn't need in the bag.

If you have them, take out a bag full of your 'non-throwing' discs for a while. Get some strange, so to speak. If you throw a bad round then you can blame it on unfamiliar plastic. If not, then you might rediscover an old disc that you thought you didn't need in the bag.

^^^ Great Idea!

I think most of us have extra discs in our bag/car/shelf. You might find something you gave up on, and it may turn into a disc you use on certain holes/shots etc. This is how I've grown to love my xXx.

What I do to break a slump is play an easier, technical course, and throw a second drive when my first is bad. Maybe a midrange after a driver toss. This coupled with the all important field practice helps clear the mind.

It depends. If you've been playing 10 rounds a week or so, for a year-Then take a break for a week or two, and rest/heal your body.

If you've been playing 1 round a month for a year or so-Get your ass out there and increase your playing time!

Stop thinking about being in a slump.
Make sure to have fun even when playing below you expectations; laugh at that big roll away.
Practice putting day and night until you are super confident. Putting can carry the day even when your drives suck.

just got back from the course. chucked my brand new nuke ss into the woods. nothing but poison ivy everywhere (i will be amazed if i am not covered in it tomorrow). couldn't find it. hopefully tomorrow i will find it. fml

i tend to play about 6-12 rounds a week. when i am not throwing well i feel like i stay closer to the 12 and try to power through the slump.

The more you think about the "slump", the deeper you'll sink into it.
It's all in your mind.
Play with some different peeps, play by yourself, play a one disc round, do something... just don't stop playing.
The more you focus on it, the more "slumpier" you'll get!

(Yes, I just coined the term "slumpier") :p

lol i'm not in a slump yet. yesterday was bad. chalked it up to only getting a few hours of sleep. other than the lost nuke today wasn't bad. not great but not bad either. and i saw a group of "larpers" sword fighting so that is always good for a laugh. i usually play by myself. i don't know why but i prefer it. nothing is better than getting out on the course around 9am or so and i have the whole park to myself. love it.

just had my nuke ss returned to me. i can't believe they found it (and called for that matter). i looked for this thing for about an hour to no avail. six packs were bought.

Been playing like crap for about a month now. Contemplated taking a month break off but its hard to stay away. Heading out tomorrow to try and figure out what I am doing wrong and try and fix it. Just play through it OP.

yea that's what i tend to do. when i'm not throwing well i think a about disc golf a lot more which leads to me getting out on the course. played 45 holes today lol.

I go and practice putting, all of my slumps are putting based, once I have my confidence back in my putt then I go back to the course.

I find using multiple throwing styles helps to keep me playing well. When my side-arm is bad I throw more backhands, and vice versa. If both are doing bad then I start chunking thumbers all over the course.

If you play the same course over and over again you begin to build up expectations for how you should shoot on the course. You then tighten up, shank drives, miss putts all because you are putting pressure on yourself to perform in a casual round. You may also be "aiming" too much instead of throwing. Loosen up, grip it and rip it and maybe get out to a new course to give you a fresh look.

Lastly, if you are having trouble controlling your throws work on one thing at a time. If you are shanking your discs to the right, throwing nose up, and throwing too short, it will likely complicate things if you try and fix all those things on the next throw. Simply focus on one thing, then slowly piece your throw back together.

Good luck sir!

theres different levels of slump and im definitely in one right now. distance yourself from it for the time being. take a comfortable step back, but stay in range of your discs. analyze without thinking too much, and gracefully step back in. know that youre the sh*t, and remember that, everytime you make a decision on the course. you'll climb out of it just as i will. playing a different course other than your home turf will help as well..:thmbup:

Latest posts