• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting out of a slump?

I have had some terrible rounds before on some tough/hilly courses that makes you question why the heck am I doing this. I think what has helped me the most is just focusing on one aspect of the game that I need to work on and really working on that one thing. I have been playing for 2 years and have improved quite a bit, but I still can't hit putts, approaches still fall too far away from the basket and my distance drives still burn into cutt rollers from time to time. Instead of trying to fix everything, I just focus on the one that is most impacting my score. It's a slow process for sure, but It's very satisfying when you look back and see how far you have come. Don't let bad rounds stop you from playing though, everybody has bad rounds.

Wilson_v4150d78_jp34a8lk.jpg

It worked for him and it works for me!

I get out of a slump by simply not caring about the result. Maybe it wont work for everyone, but it certainly impacts my game to simply "stop trying".

The best way for me to get out of a slump is to play a good solid beer a hole round. It's challenging but it can be done.

Time off first - do something different
Mix up the bag - not saying buying new things is the answer but sometimes you need to shake it up
New Course - sometimes you need a new setting
STRETCH - get your body prepared - playing cold or stiff isn't going to help
R-E-L-A-X (Aaron Rodgers ;) --Have Fun
Then get back into it - with Leagues/Group of friends/ Some competition
After all this if you still are in a slump then you are destined to fail forever muahahahahahahahahahaha - or maybe I don't know

In a terrible slump right now. Mostly mental. Going to take my own advice and step away from tournament play for the rest of the year. When I decide to compete again I'll step back down to Men's Advanced (minor leagues) until I get a win and then give Open another try.

Got out of my very recent slump by switching back to fan grip for all throws. Switched to power grip half a year ago and now it feels so awkward again.. Also changed my putting style for a more hyzer release and it's helping. By posting this I will have jinxed myself effectively starting a new slump!

Time off first - do something different
Mix up the bag - not saying buying new things is the answer but sometimes you need to shake it up
New Course - sometimes you need a new setting
STRETCH - get your body prepared - playing cold or stiff isn't going to help
R-E-L-A-X (Aaron Rodgers ;) --Have Fun
Then get back into it - with Leagues/Group of friends/ Some competition
After all this if you still are in a slump then you are destined to fail forever muahahahahahahahahahaha - or maybe I don't know
good advice i think i'm at the 6 month stage of playing (past the honeymoon of playing) and i don't hear the chains like i used to. I think it might be job/life/winter slump related also. And i have to take a break buying discs for a month or two till i repay christmas/black friday overspending lol. you guys always rock when i need advice thanks.

51-year-old stoner checking in...

Something I'd recommend for battling a slump - second only to Mookie's sage advice re: dinosaurs - is playing dubs rounds.

You're not having to scramble out of dungeons as often, and your partner, assuming he or she isn't riding the same Struggle Bus, will complement your game often enough to relieve a lot of the pressure. Granted, it helps to be on a fun-loving card, where everyone is simply having a good time; I know how tough it can be to relax when there's a person or people who are hyper-focused and dead-serious about every damned shot...
But we make our own fun. We bring our own minds and our own serenity. Break down the frowners with persistent goofery. It's a game.

I recently played my way out of a slump of sorts. Slowed it down and starting gut checking myself, looking for different approaches to a hole I've played a hundred times or just making sure that I was taking the simplest approach on a hole period. Taking the shot that I know I can make, not the one I think I should be able to make. Sometumes it's hard to pitch out sideways but after you take your medicine it's nice to have a clean look at the basket, even if you're cleaning up a bogey as a result. "Slow down, take five seconds to clear your head" good advice from a friend. It worked.

Believe in the me

That believes in you

i dyed the gurren lagann flaming skull emblem onto one of my putters and would say that before using it if i felt jitters. always made me chuckle, relieved my tension and i'd usually make my putt. if i didn't . . . well, i didn't really care, because i was back in a good mood.

if i get really bad i just quit for a while and do something else. once you realize that you've hit the point of significant diminishing returns on your skill and you'll never be the next mcbeth, you get over it. there are other things to become proficient at.

I have been in a slump for about 2 years. My only good round happened at a charity tournament in May.

Instead of giving me confidence and thus better rounds, it did the opposite. Nothing was flying the way it was supposed to. Try to fix it and it would only get worse.

So I pretty much switched out my whole bag to completely new molds or molds I had not thrown in 6 years. First round with the new plastic was rough as my brain was still telling me to throw the discs with hyzer...not a good idea with discs that don' need to hyzer flip to fly straight. Putting was bad too and I missed a lot of makeable putts.

2nd round was much better and even though I had 2 throws that left me scratching my head, it was my second best round of 2018.

I still need to learn some of the new molds but I think this change will help alot

I agree that changing your bag out completely can be worth it. your expectations will drop, but you'll find some new discs and new ways of throwing lines.

I have been in a slump for about 2 years. My only good round happened at a charity tournament in May.

Instead of giving me confidence and thus better rounds, it did the opposite. Nothing was flying the way it was supposed to. Try to fix it and it would only get worse.

So I pretty much switched out my whole bag to completely new molds or molds I had not thrown in 6 years. First round with the new plastic was rough as my brain was still telling me to throw the discs with hyzer...not a good idea with discs that don' need to hyzer flip to fly straight. Putting was bad too and I missed a lot of makeable putts.

2nd round was much better and even though I had 2 throws that left me scratching my head, it was my second best round of 2018.

I still need to learn some of the new molds but I think this change will help alot
i tried this by bagging some os discs that are too fast for me i bought before i knew better or got in a mystery box...quickly put the nuke up but some of the others were interesting. I also saw a group doing 3 disc round driver mid putter and you have to rotate so even if your 2nd shot goes in mid the next hole you have to start with a putter ..might try this a few times looks to be cool.

I'm an older player who doesn't have a lot of distance to my throws and almost every time I get in to a slump it is simply because I'm trying to throw too hard. I keep playing but just keep telling myself to dial it down on every throw. It does work if I stick with it.

Two things that have helped me is;

I leave the bag in the car and carry 3 discs in hand
or
I play with a small 150 class bag.

My expectations go down and I have to focus more on each shot. I don't think about all the shots I should make with my regular bag, the choices are limited and it allows me to get creative.

I play these rounds often actually, it brings back the fun factor.

really like the idea of let's keep it simple. and add some finesse by eliminating heavy discs. light means the disc has more potential to do the work for you.

Latest posts