• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Getting out of the groove...

tamahawk

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Okay, so today I was playing at a local course, and I basically had the park to myself. I was playing really good (for me), and then as I was walking toward the tee for hole 8, I saw an elderly gentleman walking his dog near the basket. He was out of reach, but walking straight for the basket, so I thought it would be best to wait.

He walks past the basket, then turns and starts walking down the edge of the fairway, so I wait for him to walk down out of the way. By this time, it had been 4-5min. I step up to the tee, throw, nail an early tree and kick OB. A little frustrated, I pull out another disc, same thing!

Does this happen to anyone else, seems like you get in a groove, then something happens and you have to wait or get distracted, then it seems to take a bit to get back in the groove again? This is probably more common in tournaments, but I don't play many of those.

I love the Boss but it's mildly retarded little brother The Groove has never done much for me. :clap:

Yes, I understand that this has nothing to do with the OP.

Happens all the time. I'm a slave to rhythm. Try playing with 3 or more drunk guys.

A common strategy in volleyball when the person serving is "hot" is to do a substitution and have the person subbing in to really take his or her time getting into position.

The trick to beating it is to learn what "the groove" feels like and find out how to get there on command. Really be aware of what you are and aren't doing when you're in the groove so you can get back there if you get distracted.

That's why I prefer to play a lil slower. My groove happens when I play quicker but it's more common to fall into slow play as to having to pick up the pace. I figure if I can force my groove to be on when playing slower, I will be less likely to lose it.
Plus I sweat alot and need a minute to chill in the summer

I am terrible about playing to fast when I play solo!, I should probably make myself slow the pace a bit. I try, but after a couple holes, I'm right back to speed golf.

Tamahawk you are asking about the zen of the game. That illusive place where the world stops spinning just for each of your shots and you can visualize every inch of the flight path of your sacred disc. To overcome the walkers, slow players, rude players, lost disc hunts and errant shots is to be zen with the game. A perfect harmony with "this shot" is what we all want and the best possess.

Yes this happens to virtually everybody.

"That illusive place where the world stops spinning just for each of your shots and you can visualize every inch of the flight path of your sacred disc. To overcome the walkers, slow players, rude players, lost disc hunts and errant shots is to be zen with the game. A perfect harmony with "this shot" is what we all want and the best possess."

That should be on every hole 1 tee sign on every course!

We had been having this problem with my regular course. It can throw you off when your hot. One thing that helps though, is if you go cold, do it to yourself and stop, then start again. Might snap the cold streak but still, it is tough to get back into that groove.

I try to play a variety of rounds as much as I can. be it with three drunk guys fast or solo by myself. feels good to get in groove and if ya can't find it try something different.

I try to throw my Groove only on risky H2O shots so if I lose a disc it is that piece of crap!...for real!

Anyways, I dont try to let things like that distract me out on the course.

I like ChainMan's post. :D

The key is to recognize that you've been detoured and reset yourself back on track.

I think your real problem was you were focused on getting past the hole on #8

I took Intermediate Golf at my school, and it was focused on the psychology of the game. One of the points that I find myself falling into is thinking of your score and what you have to score on the current hole. When I'm thinking, "I need a birdie to get my score back down..." then I usually mess things up. One of the great abilities of the pros is to "lock-in" on this shot. Nothing else matters. Not your score, not your buddies, not your last ten missed putts, not the old man hobbling down the edge of the fairway. The whole world is you, the disc, and the line it will fly right into the basket.

The last round I played, I was 2 under going into hole 14 when my playing partner got a long phone call - then made another one. I waited till both calls were completed, then tee'd off - bad mistake. Everything went downhill from there - threw me totally off my game. :(

i don't have a groove, i just suck :).

but i am much more consistent when playing at a moderate pace. trudging around in a big group or waiting in line behind a group of stoners who have to light up before they tee off just sends it all to hell.

I took Intermediate Golf at my school, and it was focused on the psychology of the game. One of the points that I find myself falling into is thinking of your score and what you have to score on the current hole. When I'm thinking, "I need a birdie to get my score back down..." then I usually mess things up. One of the great abilities of the pros is to "lock-in" on this shot. Nothing else matters. Not your score, not your buddies, not your last ten missed putts, not the old man hobbling down the edge of the fairway. The whole world is you, the disc, and the line it will fly right into the basket.

Bingo, this is what works for me to, I have realized that to stay focused in between rounds at a tourney I need to find an open hole, and just throw drives, then throw some up shots, then putt, whatever i have to do to keep my body and mind in synch with my game, and i try not to look at scores, so i dont worry about catching up or staying ahead. I just try to stay in my zone and play my best game. Most of the time it works.

Latest posts