• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ginormous Mitts

Doupie620

Banned
I have pretty big hands and low flexibility...I try using a FOUR finger power grip but just can't fit them all in there without it feeling very uncomfortable. I do pretty good with my THREE finger variant. I CANNOT throw FH unless you want to pay for the shoulder surgery...no Thumbers either.

Before you post a "Well Stop Playing" comment, my auto response in advance will be to "Eat a Bug and run naked through a cactus forest"...I am NOT going to quit playing, I will adapt and dominate...or...um adapt.

Anywho...all other comments welcome.

If you cannot fit all 4 fingers under the rim but do well with a 3 finger variant, then the answer seems obvious. Keep doing what works for you, not what Ken Climo or Dave Feldberg or any of the "Internet-Arms" tells you.

I know what you mean. I wear a size 15 E shoe and my hands are equally as big with a palm about the size of a CD and size 16 ring finger. I have no trouble gripping drivers, it's once I get into the speed 7 and below discs with thinner rims. It's really uncomfortable and probably doesn't help my throw to force all four fingers in there. So what I do when throwing mids and putters is kind of like the reverse rock on hand symbol. I only grip with my pinky, pointer, and thumb while leaving my middle and ring fingers straight out. I think it actually creates more spin and the disc wants to turn over more.

As for drivers I have not tried that and thumpers are out of the question for me too. Good luck adapting!

What three fingers do you use?

I use the pointy, middle and ring. It seems to work. I was wondering if there was a Chinese Eagle Claw technique I was missing.

For FINESSE shots not requiring power, I put my pointy finger on the front rim and use the middle, ring, pinky for support...amazing accuracy.

I have pretty big hands and low flexibility...I try using a FOUR finger power grip but just can't fit them all in there without it feeling very uncomfortable. I do pretty good with my THREE finger variant. I CANNOT throw FH unless you want to pay for the shoulder surgery...no Thumbers either.

Before you post a "Well Stop Playing" comment, my auto response in advance will be to "Eat a Bug and run naked through a cactus forest"...I am NOT going to quit playing, I will adapt and dominate...or...um adapt.

how long is your middle finger? I have large hands and I want to see how we stack up

2x World Champ Barry Schultz says to do what is comfortable for YOU. It doesn't matter if every top pro is using a 4 finger grip, if you feel more comfortable with a 3 finger, do it

Bottom of palm to top of Middle is 7 inches. Splayed hand from thumb across to pinky is 8 inches +

I think a bit of my issue may include flexibility...and the fact that my fingers are all meat sausages (ring finger is 15)...remember, I am very fluffy.

Close "punching" fist is probably 6 inches wide.

as long as you get decent pressure (not necessarily death grip) with your Pointer and Thumb you can do what is natural for you with the rest of your fingers (slight fan, 2 or possibly 3-fingers under rim, etc.) and get good results. When you got pickles for fingers got to do what you gotta do. On this topic I'd be interested in what bigger stature pros use for a grip (Jay Reading comes to mind). Seems massive hands/shorter fingers might be a little bit of a mechanical advantage for clean driving/wet weather (and for getting stuck oil filters off cars).

There is a grip I have been toying with for narrow "has to be low" drives...I basically use a two finger grip that grabs the rim of the disc with the middle finger and the pointy finger holds the disc in place. I make a fist to add grip strength...the technique MAKES you throw low and straight, but distance and accuracy is compromised. Saw another guy using same technique with better success. I need more practice. I will try to a pic of the grip. Most guys I show haven't seen it.

Bottom of palm to top of Middle is 7 inches. Splayed hand from thumb across to pinky is 8 inches +

I think a bit of my issue may include flexibility...and the fact that my fingers are all meat sausages (ring finger is 15)...remember, I am very fluffy.

Close "punching" fist is probably 6 inches wide.

palm to tip of middle for me is about 8, but my fingers are no where near a 15. you got some sausage fingers

I do a 4 finger power grip just fine, but if flexibility is the issue, maybe figure out some stretches? or a three finger grip will probably do fine.

2x World Champ Barry Schultz says to do what is comfortable for YOU. It doesn't matter if every top pro is using a 4 finger grip, if you feel more comfortable with a 3 finger, do it

while this is true to an extent, lots of bad body positions can be comfortable, and will be uncomfortable to change.

If curling your wrist around the disc when you throw is comfortable, but every pro (or anybody for that matter) tells you you can throw further without a curled wrist, would you still do it because it's comfortable?

It doesn't make sense to do what is comfortable when it can harm your form in the long run (and even short term issues.)

1311625514.jpg

1311625869.jpg

1311625461.jpg

Using left hand because I can't take pictures Lefty...lol

I think by photoing my hand that I realize another SIGNIFICANT issue...very little Wrist flexibility.

So...what would you call the other grip?

Last edited:
Have you tried the stacked fork grip? Works great for me, I have big hands not real sausagie though. On another note the Magic is a great putter for big hands.

Latest posts