• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Glow Round Tree Hitting

discgolphinmafaukner

Birdie Member
Do you think that you would hit more trees during a glow round in the dark because you cannot see them? Or do you think you would hit fewer trees because they cannot be seen as well in the dark and hence, cannot effect how you aim from the teepad?

Thoughts? Comments?

I imagine it primarily depend on how well you know the course. At Buffalo Ridge there are few trees to worry about. Our many worry is twisting an ankle or breaking a leg while trudging up and down the mountain.

Interesting question...Let's see if we can get a Pepsi grant to fund a study. ;)

oddly enough, i think i play better at night because i'm not worried about all the trees. i know the basic layouts and that gets me by :D

oddly enough, i think i play better at night because i'm not worried about all the trees. i know the basic layouts and that gets me by :D
I understand that. I had my best round ever at Buffalo Ridge during a night round. Strange.

I think it is the other way around. You have less appreciation for the trees that you miss "pro route" at night than you do during the day. At night, "You just don't know what your missin'."

Ive noticed that I hit less trees at night. I definitely attribute it to the lack of fear of hitting something I cannot see.

My buddy swears he plays better during a glo round. Since we usually drink beer during these rounds i think it is more he doesn't care as much if he does bad.

Me personally, I play about the same.

I do believe that as long as you know the course and the routes you should take, playing at night may lead to less tree hits. During the day it is very possible to see the tree you have to miss and end up fixating on it to the point where you end up hitting it.

I do believe that as long as you know the course and the routes you should take, playing at night may lead to less tree hits. During the day it is very possible to see the tree you have to miss and end up fixating on it to the point where you end up hitting it.

i'm pretty sure that the DG Gods pull our drives into that one little branch that sticks out, and shuts it down...

Seems to me that there may be two reasons as to why people will say they hit fewer trees.

1. You don't get mad over hitting a tree. You are having fun and if you hit a tree, you just accept it and go on. At the end, you probably don't remember hitting them because of this.

2. You focus more on executing the throw. You know the trees are out there, you just can't see them, so you make better throws that don't go off line. In the end, you really do hit less trees. This could be why people say they score better at night.

When I played glow rounds, I seemed to hit about the same amount of trees, but I just didn't get mad at myself because I was having more fun than usual and didn't care.

2. You focus more on executing the throw. You know the trees are out there, you just can't see them, so you make better throws that don't go off line. In the end, you really do hit less trees. This could be why people say they score better at night.

Sounds a lot like Ty Webb - Just be the disc, be the disc, be the disc. You're not being the disc Danny.

It's all over the board. If I'm not ripped, and know where I'm throwing I usually hit less trees due to not worrying about the trees. But not being able to see the mid fairway tree often times leads to firing right at it. Also, we play with NO LIGHTS ever! We don't shine baskets, we don't ever illuminate anything, so often times after a drive and you're off the fairway, you can very easily get disoriented (especially in the woods at Winter Park), and you're forced to throw where you think. Often times not a single person in the group can see the basket. Once we hear someone hit some chains and give everyone else a point of reference, everyone fires away.

Do you think that you would hit more trees during a glow round in the dark because you cannot see them? Or do you think you would hit fewer trees because they cannot be seen as well in the dark and hence, cannot effect how you aim from the teepad?

Thoughts? Comments?

i've never played a glow round, but have heard from those who have that yes, you do end up throwing better BECAUSE you don't psych yourself out by trying to throw around trees.

i'm pretty sure that the DG Gods pull our drives into that one little branch that sticks out, and shuts it down...

some (un) benevolent being smited me a few times today in the same way.

lost 3 or 4 strokes because of it. thank (same unbenevolent being) it wasn't a tourney.

I agree 100%, I too seem to play better at night. I think because all the ancillary distractions just kind of go away in the dark. It forces you to focus on your line and your shot which you should be doing anyway.

EXACTLY....
never focus on what you don't want to hit.
always concentrate and focus on your line that you DO want to hit.
A Wiley old pro with a 4 digit PDGA # once told me he tries to focus on a 3-4 ft box that he is trying to hit with his shot.

Latest posts