• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gnats driving me crazy

Timkid

So today I was out throwing at a local course so many gnats couldn't even throw I carry off deep woods for flies and mosquitoes but does anyone know of something for gnats? Just need to keep them away from my head and face.

I tried playing at that Eagle Point course in Clinton, IA two weekends ago with some friends and we left after the 4th hole. We tried to tough it out but the gnats were just swarming and getting in our eyes, nose, ears, mouth, etc. We left to get some bug spray, but even after soaking ourselves in bug spray (even placing bug-spray soaked towels on our heads) those things would not give up. We ended up just leaving for good. I don't get gnats.

Gnats are a very small fly and when you see them swarming in a big ball that's called a breeding ball. They orient themselves over some object...a rock, a bench, a tree stump or tee pad...whatever and when you walk into their little orgy ball, well you are truly a f#@&face.:D

Until you have been to Albany,GA or further south, complaining isn't even allowed. It's a totally different world.

Absorbine Jr. keeps the gnats away. I might get shot for posting this.

I tried playing at that Eagle Point course in Clinton, IA two weekends ago with some friends and we left after the 4th hole. We tried to tough it out but the gnats were just swarming and getting in our eyes, nose, ears, mouth, etc. We left to get some bug spray, but even after soaking ourselves in bug spray (even placing bug-spray soaked towels on our heads) those things would not give up. We ended up just leaving for good. I don't get gnats.

I have had the same issues in Iowa as well. Bug spray does little to stop these guys. I have been known to play with a mosquito net on my head. Sure I look funny, but at least I was still playing disc golf.

I was at South Mountain last week and the gnats were horrible. They were in my ears, my nose, and every time I opened my mouth they would fly in there too. It really threw my game off:mad:

One good trick to use is when you're not throwing, hold a disc over your head. Instead of collecting around your face, they'll go to the higher point. This doesn't help much when you're actually throwing, but does help in between throws.

Dryer sheet

Try wearing a baseball cap with a dryer sheet under it. Snuggle sheets seems to work best for me. Hope it helps:thmbup:

One good trick to use is when you're not throwing, hold a disc over your head. Instead of collecting around your face, they'll go to the higher point. This doesn't help much when you're actually throwing, but does help in between throws.
I can attest to this. They always swarm at the highest point. Being 6'4" this means usually me. Be the first to sit and when others are throwing squat by your disc after walking near them. Yeah on snuggle also.

RCO-9530_d.jpg

Problem solved.

Get a long stick that goes above your head and put some towels on the end of it. When you walk, the gnats will go towards the towel that is above your head. Not much you can do when throwing.

Holding up you hand or putting your hand on your head works too.

Warning- If you hold up your hand, which seems to work better, make sure it is your non-throwing arm. Playing schoolchild can get tiring quickly.

there's a lady locally that make some stuff called VBS (vanilla bug spray)....stuff is awesome...at least around these parts...my grandma swears by avon skin-so-soft too :D

I can attest to this. They always swarm at the highest point. Being 6'4" this means usually me. Be the first to sit and when others are throwing squat by your disc after walking near them. Yeah on snuggle also.

Maybe that's my problem I'm 6'4'' too lol:)

Latest posts