• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Going in the water

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
I know we all love water hazards and I always think I can clear them. Sometimes I'm mistaken. I'm also amazed at how far a disc can go in a random direction after it hits a tree. Sucks when it's in stream, lake or pond.

Today I was playing Goose Landing for the first time. There are a lot of water hazards and on one I was about 5 feet short of clearing it. I could see it out there in only about 6 inches of water. It's 54 degree out but I wanted my Prodigy D4 back so I took off the socks and shoes and went in.

Well, the water was 6 inches but the mud was about a foot. Marsh city. My toes are still cold.

This is the forth time I've went into a body of water to get a disc back. One was the same disc 2 days in a row.

Anybody else like taking a swimming break during a round?

I've only entered the water once. I too stepped off into what appeared to be about 6 inches of water and sank up to my knees in muck.
Some ponds contain a flesh eating bacteria so enter at your own risk!

I was playing a course 90 miles from me once preparing for an upcoming A-Tier. It was March in KS - which means it was about 45 degrees. Trying to clear the water I threw a Wahoo because it floated and I really didn't like the disc so I didn't care. Didn't clear it. No biggie, was willing to walk away.

Next hole, there was a couple of guys so I asked him if he had a Golden Retriever having never actually used one before. He did, so off I went to try to get my Wahoo. Holding the string in one hand, I threw the Retriever out not realizing how much pull it would have and it yanked the string out.

So now, I HAD to go in after it, because I just threw a stranger's Retriever in the water. This was out there in water deeper than head deep. There was a girl watching me the whole time in the shelter right next to it. So I went in with jeans on (because I didn't have the nerve to strip down to my underwear) and got my disc and retriever (string had not sunk yet). I was on my 4th hole, after driving 90 miles, totally wet, in 45-degree weather. Had to drive back home and not finish my round.

Now, if I go more than 30 minutes from my house, I always carry extra clothes with me. And I will go in after my discs with shorts on and spare shoes so I don't cut up my feet.

I know have a Golden Retriever with some prize money as well.

Summertime I've gone in a couple of times and found my disc by "feel" with my feet. A couple of other times were like your situation but we found a long stick and fished it out since we could see it. Got me thinking ..........my Golden Retriever arrived FedEx yesterday!

I often go in water searching for discs. Though almost always, after the round; I rarely stop a round to go in.

But it reminds me of a story. The first time I ever played Trophy Lakes in Charleston---as watery a course as you're ever likely to find---my brother and I arrived 2 hours early and walked the course to get a look at it. It was December, and unusually cold for Charleston; about 30 degrees, with frost covering the ground.

Well, we get to a hole with a basket on a peninsula, and there's a guy stripped to his shorts, standing knee deep in the water. I say, "That's dedication". After we pass, we hear him say, "Looks like I'm going to have to dive." 30 degrees, frost, all that, mind you. And I say, "That's dedication".

About 3 holes later he plays through, soaking wet and in danger of freezing solid. And I say, "That's dedication!".

I asked him later, and he explained. "It was my putter." And, of course, we all understood.

If it starts raining, do you run? No way...go in and get the damn thing!

You haven't seen some of the scuzzy water down here obviously.
I throw easily replaceable discs over those hazards. If you want to go in and fight loggerhead turtles, go for it jarhead!
;)

Solomon trenton saw me jump in maple hill. Jrawk has probably seen me jump in to water more than he would admit. And there are pictures of me at parma, ny in the water with ice floating next to me.

I got nasty infections jumping in at Como Lake in Buffalo. I have jumped in Luther Britt in Lumberton SC. I think I have been in water hazards in 10 states :)

I got nasty infections jumping in at Como Lake in Buffalo. I have jumped in Luther Britt in Lumberton SC. I think I have been in water hazards in 10 states :)

ive been in both those waters. lumberton is in nc though

Summertime I've gone in a couple of times and found my disc by "feel" with my feet. A couple of other times were like your situation but we found a long stick and fished it out since we could see it. Got me thinking ..........my Golden Retriever arrived FedEx yesterday!

Pretty much the same story. Done it with my feet, used sticks, very glad I got my Retriever. I've used it to retrieve about 6-8 discs (mostly for other people) in the 8 months I've had it. No more wading into creeks and ponds barefoot - where you have no clue if there's broken glass or other crap to mess you up... just not worth it.

Solomon trenton saw me jump in maple hill. Jrawk has probably seen me jump in to water more than he would admit. And there are pictures of me at parma, ny in the water with ice floating next to me.

Yeah, we all know you are a stud 'rube! :)

Pretty much the same story. Done it with my feet, used sticks, very glad I got my Retriever. I've used it to retrieve about 6-8 discs (mostly for other people) in the 8 months I've had it. No more wading into creeks and ponds barefoot - where you have no clue if there's broken glass or other crap to mess you up... just not worth it.

That's the problem w/ public water areas, you never know what some asshat has thrown in there.

.............where you have no clue if there's broken glass or other crap to mess you up... just not worth it.

Exactly what I was thinking while feeling around the bottom with my bare feet. I figured a trip to the emergency room was likely. But, it was my go-to driver and the guys were egging me on .......I couldn't wimp out! :rolleyes::cool:

I always go in after my discs. I either get them back or forget about them.

Oh yeah I go in water sometimes, depends on the disc and the depth. The worst though is the muck a foot or more deep, just nasty. I sometimes wonder if its worth the risk catching some bacteria. I dont go diving though, I dont need my face in nasty pond water.

The absolute worst though is going in and not finding it. That just sucks.

i lost an ace disc on a stupid short hole. the wind was bad but of course how could i pass up another ace run with a disc i previously got an ace with. well it was my last hole i would throw it on. stupid headwind and nose slightly up pushed the disc back and it fell in no farther than 5 feet from the edge. grabbed the metal pole all the way across the course that was kitty corner from my lost disc on the course. and fished for like 20 minutes and couldnt find it.

so anyone at shakopee mn on the first hole with a water haz you can find my blue wasp and ill trade good to get it back.

but ive also seen people go into gross ass acorn park hole 1 and those other holes there.

I've seen kids in there at Acorn, that stuff is real nasty. I wouldn't go in there. Not worth it.

Latest posts