• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Golden Retriever disc diver

FishlikeJC

Does anyone have the golden retriever disc diver? Does it work? I have a local course with two small streams. The streams aren't huge, but if the disc goes in the middle of the water it's waist deep. I was thinking of purchasing this tool, so i don't have to get wet to get my frisbee, but i want to know if it really works.

Thanks for any info.

Lyle

If you can see your disc, and no branches or jagged rocks or deep weeds are in the way, you'll get your disc. Mine's been way worth the money, but it can't get them all.

He's more black than golden but Bear does a great job finding discs.

6212876947_0905ea381f_z-172x172.jpg

I will agree. If you can see the disc, and there are no major obstructions, you can generally get the disc back. Make sure you anchor the rope down, so you don't throw the rope in with the retriever. Yes, I have seen that done.

Does anyone have the golden retriever disc diver? Does it work? I have a local course with two small streams. The streams aren't huge, but if the disc goes in the middle of the water it's waist deep. I was thinking of purchasing this tool, so i don't have to get wet to get my frisbee, but i want to know if it really works.

Thanks for any info.

Lyle

^^^^^^

This. My buddy has one and we use it for extreme situations where a stick can't be used or the water is deep.

If you can see your disc, and no branches or jagged rocks or deep weeds are in the way, you'll get your disc. Mine's been way worth the money, but it can't get them all.

This sums it up well. My golden retriever payed for itself the first time I had it out on the course.

i carry one in my bag and at first didn't care for it. now that i've used it a bit i pretty much can pull a disc in on the first shot. like others have said, it works best with you have a clean line dragging it back to the bank and the disc is visible. if you can't see the disc then you need a lake rake of some type.

i can't say that i've used the other piece of rope that comes with it. the 15 foot length is enough for my use, if it's further out than that you probably won't see it anyway. i'd imagine having the extra length of rope would make it more challenging to throw the retriever out into the water accurately also.

We have a smooth-bottomed pond with lots of discs in it.....we attached the longer rope to give 50' range, and drag the bottom with fairly good success.

Much better if you can see the disc, and you definitely want to avoid obstacles, but it gives you a chance where nothing else, short of scuba gear, does.

I played a couple holes the other day with a guy that had one, and needed it almost right away - I watched go after his driver about 15 off shore, and i knew he'd get in the end, and his confidence level seemed to indicate he's get it as well. Pretty cool device for the cost of a couple nice discs. Could pay for itself pretty quickly if you play near water a lot.

I have to see the disc to get it, but a few of the guys I play with can snag discs without seeing them. Turns out they all are avid fishermen. It's crazy watching them "feel" for a disc and snag it lol! Also, as others have stated. The disc has to be on the bottom, no rocky bottoms or weeds, but even with weeds. It can be done most of the time. We have a few holes that go over a pond and that thing has paid for itself 10 fold

Thanks

Thanks for the info, Where i play you can always see the disc. There are two creeks that run through the course. Some places are rocky, and some spots the water is slow and muddy. I might as well invest in one, it could keep me dry in the colder months. If worse comes to worse, i'll just wade, but i'd prefer not too. :) But thanks again everyone for your help.

Lyle

I've honestly had more successful dry retrievals (over fences) with my GR than I have had wet ones.

I will agree. If you can see the disc, and there are no major obstructions, you can generally get the disc back. Make sure you anchor the rope down, so you don't throw the rope in with the retriever. Yes, I have seen that done.

i have see it too. actually i was letting a friend use it, and he got distracted and in goes the rope. we was suppose to replace it, but i havent seen him pretty much since that day.

Pulled out my 27th disc with mine today. A guy lost his Champ Aviar in a pond, and as I was looking for his, I fished another disc out. Then I was able to find his, in the murkey water. Mine is always in my bag, and it works great. Love it.

i threw my retriever in the lake....i had a loop and everything...but "Was only going to need 10' of rope, i won't lose my grip and throw all 35' in...."...damnit, had to buy a 2nd retriever.

Latest posts