• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good courses gone bad.

KWK82

Has anybody enjoyed a course for years to eventually have to say goodbye to it? My first course I ever played on was plagued with an infestation and the majority of the trees were all removed. This course will never be the same and at best maybe in 10 years it will be playable once all new trees grow? I hope I am still alive/able to play if this course ever gets revived. I played here one last time for nostalgia and recorded it in the video link below. I had no clue how bad it was until I did this recording and found out that there is nothing worth coming back for a very long time now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZdnhulJ5ik&feature=youtu.be&a

PS

On my way to this course my favorite Little Caesars Pizza place shut down that I would always enjoy after a game at this course. I tell you when it rains it pours.

Ask the folks in Florida who've had hurricanes raze the trees on their courses.

Its one of the perks of gettin' old---everything you know starts to die. Businesses fail, landscapes change, people move away, the next generation is dumber than the one before. :D :|

Katrina really messed up Buccaneer DGC. It'll be nice again---in another decade or so.

Doesn't this discussion begin and end with Brackett's Bluff - old vs new layout?

On my way to this course my favorite Little Caesars Pizza place shut down that I would always enjoy after a game at this course. I tell you when it rains it pours.

Little Caesars??? How does the loss of a disc golf course belong in the same discussion as the closure of the worst chain pizza restaurant?

Seymour Smith in Omaha has gradually declined as key trees have been lost to disease, and then last year all trees along the creek were removed for erosion control (which doesn't make sense to me).

The course also suffered from popularity, attracting newbies but also people who were just using disc golf as an excuse for other activities.

I will visit when I'm back in town if it's winter or on a weekday. But it's not all that fun anymore.

Doesn't this discussion begin and end with Brackett's Bluff - old vs new layout?

:clap:

I'm still despessed about that change. Dave has done a very good job with what he had left to work with but it's not close to the same

Doesn't this discussion begin and end with Brackett's Bluff - old vs new layout

I'm still kind of upset I didn't get to play the original course. I heard rumors that one of the new local government reps may be trying to get the athletic status of disc golf changed to make the land useable again- not sure how much truth there is in it though.

Highland Rd Park in Baton Rouge was one of the best courses in the south when it was installed in 1988. Between the hurricanes and some severe erosion it was a shell of its former self the last time I played there in 2011.

Little Caesars??? How does the loss of a disc golf course belong in the same discussion as the closure of the worst chain pizza restaurant?

The pizza is tolerable as long as you get pepperoni. I mainly go there for the Italian Cheese Bread. If you have not tried that you have not experienced the full potential of this franchise.

I have two, but they aren't really in the same vein.
1) Johnny Roberts DGC in Arvada, CO. The old Johnny was never one of the longest courses around, but it did provide at least a modicum of challenge to all skill levels. It was usually crowded, but it wasn't a huge issue because it was decently spread out. Unfortunatley, and nothing to do with disc golf, the city had to take some of the land back. I am pleased that there is still a course there in memory to Johnny himself, but the new course is but a shadow of it's former glory. It is now a strictly putter-only course. Even a day one player won't be throwing a driver at the new Johnny. It's still fun, just not what it was. All of the signature holes are gone. However, it now sees more use due to it's ease of play.

2) Echo Valley a.k.a. Fort Wenty in Frenchtown, MT. This was never a great course, but it's tone poles, great signage and DIY athestic made it at least an interesting play. It actually used to be quite popular. Then people quit taking care of it. Now, there are no signs and no maps making it an incomprehensible mess. Its deep in Forest Service land and is kind of hard to find. It went from a fun amusement to an eyesore. I don't even think you can save it at this point. No one ever plays it.

As andy said, Johnny is no longer a destination course. I have shot my worst round (-12) and my best (-18) for 18 since its been redesigned. I have played it 4 or 5 times. Its still fun, but I wouldnt go out of my way for it. (sad but its beautiful and groomed now)

To add to that, Frisco used to be the premier mountain course, and a combination of beetle kill and a new abundance of good mountain courses, its also not worth the trip anymore.

Also Paco Sanchez used to be pretty epic despite a couple long walks. It was pulled for a few years to make room for a new light rail. Its back in now, and I wouldn't play it without another person because there are a handful of places you could kill a pedestrian without ever seeing them. Add that to the odds of landing on the light rail tracks...

The niner I cut my teeth on just got a makeover. Hole 9 was removed for a parking lot; what was hole 8 now has three holes crammed in. Very sad. :(

Cass Benton in Northville, MI. So vandalized it is almost unplayable. Really solid layout and mix of holes though when it was nice.

Cass Benton in Northville, MI. So vandalized it is almost unplayable. Really solid layout and mix of holes though when it was nice.
3rd'd. :( The erosion on 2's approach is scary, and people still congregate there for all the wrong reasons. That said, recently, people have been putting in the effort to turn things around; recemented hole 2's basket, removing many (but far from all) the fallen trees. while the trash is still present, the course is cleaner than it's been in years. It's still pretty sad, but at least things the rate of deterioration is slowing.

I'm still kind of upset I didn't get to play the original course. I heard rumors that one of the new local government reps may be trying to get the athletic status of disc golf changed to make the land useable again- not sure how much truth there is in it though.

The consevancy just went down to the old fairways and planted a bunch of trees where they used to be. So it won't really matter cause the fairways are useless

The consevancy just went down to the old fairways and planted a bunch of trees where they used to be. So it won't really matter cause the fairways are useless
So glad I got to play that before the conservancy said "get out." Pat, thanks for hooking up Gonnagal and our group from Michigan when we came down in June 2012. :thmbup:

Latest posts