• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good DG Vlog content

Moose33

Stego Connoisseur
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey guys,

I've been doing a disc golf travel Vlog this year, and trying to get better at making interesting content. What I've been doing is showcasing different courses I've played on around the country, giving some commentary and trying to do so in around 5-10 mins. .

My camerawork in some respects has not been great, but it has improved a bit and I've gotten a little tripod to help for when I don't have someone to film.

I'm not pumping for views, but I would like to know what sort of content you are likely to find interesting. My next few vids will likely be a review of a newer course in my area, me exploring a course or two in the Omaha area, and possibly Charlotte, NW Arkansas and Minneapolis.

I've already shown Golden Gate Park in SF and the Las Vegas DG Park, which is a lighted course, and will probably be able to do another course in those areas later in the year. Also showed some shots on my home course at Etowah since the main critique of my video review was that it didn't have any shots featured.

Overall, could you guys let me know what you would like to see, with keeping in mind that if I go too in depth on things it will bee too long for my target. I've found that more than 10 mins and I lose an audience, they don't want to look at/listen to me that long.

Thanks

I'm not personally a vlog fan, but I am in marketing, so I can provide some best practices and tips.

Timing:
You have the right idea, but I'd push you to try to stay under 7.5 minutes. Humans' attention span is shorter by the day. I think you're more likely to get full views with shorter clips.

Cadence:
Get a consistent cadence down - 1/week, 1/month, etc. Give your subscribers a day to look forward to.

Content:
I think course previews are always relevant. Not the full 18 holes, but maybe an overview with a few signature holes featured.

Disc Comparisons: One thing I think is interesting is disc analysis. These would be filmed (in a field) separately from the round. These are more compelling if you can get a 900, 950, & 100 rated player to throw the same discs.
Include disc details (plastic type, weight, mold, attributes (domey, flat, PLH, etc.)) then have each person throw them at roughly 75,90, & 100%, tracking their flights.

Vlog fans: People that subscribe to and consume vlog content seem to like the human aspect of the "life on the road" of the drama of being human and having to deal with 1st world problems. Maybe a shorter (venting) video where you can explain some of the challenges of being on the road and how stuff doesn't always go your way.

Practice: A lot of people are still trying to improve their game. Some folks may be interested in field work or putting strategy. Putt for 30 minutes or until you throw 100? Distance field work or fairway drivers. How to people practice mids & approaches?

Tournament Approach: With the context from above about helping people get better, maybe the mental approach of how you prepare for an event. Which holes you plan to attack vs shoot for par or where to play safe, how to come back from a double bogey or re-calibrate when the round isn't going according to plan.

I mainly like to watch videos that are either entertaining because the players or commentary is fun to watch. I do like to watch videos that are instructional as I try to get better at the game. The better I get, the less I in interested in watching an "average" player just throw shots with some commentary on what they are trying to throw.

During this time of lockdowns, the travel aspect of my channel and even the playing new course portions is delayed for some time. So I will be going back to short disc reviews/comparisons for a while. Here are some discs I'm considering;

Anax
DDX
Kahu Vs King
Zeus Vs Destroyer
Justice Vs Anvil
Envy Vs Harp

If you have other ideas(obvs I must own the discs) let me know!

There was a guy in the DFW area that did something similar. He wasn't a top player, didn't have a very marketable personality, etc, and after a year or so was only getting a couple hundred views per video. I don't know how popular the channel would be if you're just a casual am player. Maybe if you have the funds to travel, try to tag along with one of the pros and document his or her journey along with what you are doing.

There was a guy in the DFW area that did something similar. He wasn't a top player, didn't have a very marketable personality, etc, and after a year or so was only getting a couple hundred views per video. I don't know how popular the channel would be if you're just a casual am player. Maybe if you have the funds to travel, try to tag along with one of the pros and document his or her journey along with what you are doing.

I have been doing this for about 4 years with varying degrees of success. I have several videos with views in the 1000+ range and others with 40. I'm not a name, so there is no draw there but I travel a lot for work and the main draw was supposed to be seeing all of the courses I travel to.

At this point making videos serves two purposes, to prevent me going crazy/learning a new skill and hopefully providing some decent content that someone wants to watch.

If I were a kid with the skills that I have, I would try to go on tour with a top pro sort of like what Casey White is doing and make a go of it, but I'm in my 30s with a career.

I do happen to have some ability at throwing a disc, so with many discs if you wanted to see how a pro would throw it it should be close. Just not as consistent.

Since quarantine I've switched up my format and done two of my most successful videos; the throw a mile forehand challenge laid down by Eagle, and the Stego only round.

Both were well received and got decent views thanks in part to you guys!

I have a few ideas for my next big video(I have two small disc reviews I'm editing now) and I'd like to get some input.

Which of these would be most appealing;

Throwing a round with only Vibram(OOP of course) discs
Playing a one disc round with only a high speed driver(since I just did a super Os putter).
See how far I can get my wife to throw in a one hour lesson, she has played only about 8 rounds total in 6 years.
Wheel unfortunate style round with two other players

Or any other ideas you might have!

2020 Battle At Blue Lake - Front 9 (Ulibarri, Arlyn, Messerschmidt, Nelson, Crisco)

Hey guys!!! If you are upset that the Portalnd Open has been cancelled then I have a treat for you. I was able to film a pretty stacked card out at Blue Lake Disc Golf Course (the sight of the Portland Open). The card included Paul Ulibarri, Dion Arlyn, Chris Nelson, Cameron Scott Messerschmidt, and my good buddy Paul Crisco. Let me know what you guys think and the back 9 should be posted soon. Cheers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myu6s-_uFMc&t=1059s

Since quarantine I've switched up my format and done two of my most successful videos; the throw a mile forehand challenge laid down by Eagle, and the Stego only round.

Both were well received and got decent views thanks in part to you guys!

I have a few ideas for my next big video(I have two small disc reviews I'm editing now) and I'd like to get some input.

Which of these would be most appealing;

Throwing a round with only Vibram(OOP of course) discs
Playing a one disc round with only a high speed driver(since I just did a super Os putter).
See how far I can get my wife to throw in a one hour lesson, she has played only about 8 rounds total in 6 years.
Wheel unfortunate style round with two other players

Or any other ideas you might have!

If shooting for something entertaining, I'd do something like this (a la Simon). I dig the wheel videos. One thing, though; I know it's fun for everyone to spin the wheel, but I think it would even the field if everyone went off one spin per hole/shot/what have you. Shrugs.

Hey guys, I've had a decent 12 months of making YouTube content and I wanted to thank any of you who watched. Nearly 100 subscribers, which is still tiny but 80 more than I had a year ago.

I was wondering if this video idea was interesting to anyone;

People often lament getting discs in players packs after their first few years because it's usually something they would never pick for themselves. So what if I saved up all of my tournament discs for 2021(three already) and see if I can build a bag with just those and shoot a round?

Is that fun/interesting or no?

Hey guys, I've had a decent 12 months of making YouTube content and I wanted to thank any of you who watched. Nearly 100 subscribers, which is still tiny but 80 more than I had a year ago.

I was wondering if this video idea was interesting to anyone;

People often lament getting discs in players packs after their first few years because it's usually something they would never pick for themselves. So what if I saved up all of my tournament discs for 2021(three already) and see if I can build a bag with just those and shoot a round?

Is that fun/interesting or no?

no

go to pias and buy the 3 most beat up hunks of sjhit and throw those

Deal! Should there be a budget element or just the three worst looking discs I can find?

extra points for dog bites/punctures

no budget cuz at least my pias around me and others that ive visited has some nasty looking chewed up dx valks and an aviar that has been sitting on the shelves for at least a year and are like $7 still and some 9/10 champs are $5

would be funny to see a big arm rip on some doggie treat discs

maybe its been done before/would be a lot like paul macbeth and his posse playing with starter pack or franklins

i still like the concept just my vote

extra points for dog bites/punctures

no budget cuz at least my pias around me and others that ive visited has some nasty looking chewed up dx valks and an aviar that has been sitting on the shelves for at least a year and are like $7 still and some 9/10 champs are $5

would be funny to see a big arm rip on some doggie treat discs

maybe its been done before/would be a lot like paul macbeth and his posse playing with starter pack or franklins

i still like the concept just my vote

It's a fun idea and all it will cost is like $25 and some dignity. I'll make it lol.

Hey guys, on my more recent videos I've been using the ace Trace app to track the disc flight, especially on longer shots.

My question is; do you also like to see the follow flight on shorter shots, like 200-250 putter shots? To me it looks a little distracting if I could see the whole flight anyway, but I wanted to get your take.