• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

playrecords to UT, NV and AZ in September

playrecords

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Hey folks, I'm no wolfhaley regarding the roadtrip planning (edited to assume to you all know that reference, and thanks btw for the inspiration) but am headed out to play my 46th through 48th state in a couple of weeks.

Plan so far is to be in the SLC area the first weekend of September. Solitude Mountain and the Fort are the main draws, and I'm sure some bagging will ensue. Hoping to connect with sillybizz there for at least a round or more.

Then head South on I-15 to Vegas with stops along the way, national parks / monuments and DG courses in mind.

Then over to Flagstaff.

Then up to Moab where of course Base Camp Adventure Lodge is the main attraction (and been on my wish list for years).

Then head east through CO and route TBD based on timing (trying to be home Sat Sept 16).

I realize this is super vague, I have a bunch of courses wishlisted so have an idea of stops in mind. My main motivation for this post / thread is to see if some of you can recommend something not on my radar (which is basically DGCR). Private courses, amazing campsites, national park special spots, etc... I've no doubt that I'll figure it out (as I have done for my last decade plus of DG roadtrips, but wanted to try posting this as an experiment).

My typical planning is to pick out highlight courses, find camping in the area then see what the drive times are. My last couple trips I have felt like driving a lot more and basically thrown tentative plans out the window. Plus finding out that sleeping in the back of my Subaru is no big deal so alleviates the pressure of finding a great campsite every night. Nowadays having a computer in my pocket makes on the fly adjustments pretty dang easy...No offense to those out in this area of the southwest but the destination courses are lacking compared to the east coast...

Great experiences / memories / stories are always appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited:
tell me whats good cuz i will be doin a similar route at end of sept

enjoy your trip

tell me whats good cuz i will be doin a similar route at end of sept

enjoy your trip
You are getting around this year! I would enjoy the elmex tale (and planned tale) of 2023...

Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm curious to see how you like Base Camp. That's a course I really want to get to someday.

I think Sillybizz is going to hit that one later in September too. We're also gonna get a round or two in with him in Colorado later that month.

Sounds like an awesome trip. I'm curious to see how you like Base Camp. That's a course I really want to get to someday.

I think Sillybizz is going to hit that one later in September too. We're also gonna get a round or two in with him in Colorado later that month.
Very nice... Yeah Base Camp has been on my radar for years. I met up with a dude in 2020 in Spokene, WA that I then played the Camp Sekani Jamboree course with that had recently come from there. He had a sweet lifted 4runner and said he was happy to have the clearance getting in and out of there on that road. Hoping to have no problems with my stock Outback...

Funny side note: We both arrived at the course at about the same time. He says "Hey, my first time here, can you show me around?" And I say "well no, but we can figure it out together" ended up being a super fun round.

You are getting around this year! I would enjoy the elmex tale (and planned tale) of 2023...
well as plans changed throughout the year

as of rn i plan to hit up all states out west doing a huge loop thru denver to mount whitney to seattle and return loop back hitting caliber and others

i have hawaii on the books but might have to do some readjustments due to wildfires (yes we were goin to maui for half the trip)

and lastly i am goin to try to do new england states in december to finish my 50 states played goal

then i am not sure what new goals to set for dg so maybe ill get into national parks and baggin peaks (that dont require mountaineering skills)

Latest posts