• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Got PTO until Sunday and not sure where to go

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Me and some buddies were gonna hit up some charlotte courses but one of them got hurt and the forecast looks pretty rainy so we cancelled.

Still on PTO until Sunday so I'm trying to come up with a plan B. Just looking to film some courses I've never played at this point, and will meet up with the crew closer to summer.

Some ideas:

1. Head up to WV to play the highest rated courses in the Bluefield / Princeton / Beckley / Charleston area. I love WV, it's gorgeous, but haven't golfed much in that state.

2. Head south to the IDGC. The courses there have been on my wishlist for ages, and camping on site sounds convenient.

3. Head to Charleston, SC, and enjoy the warm weather, the beach, and the plethora of courses in the area. From a quick glance they don't scream destination courses, but the sheer number of them coupled with 90 degree weather and the beach sounds like a great combo.

4. Head to Harmon Hills over in TN, which is definitely a destination course. Play some more TN courses on my way back southeast.

What would you do in my shoes? I'm trying to come up with a plan tonight and head out tomorrow. Down to camp or get a hotel wherever I go.

I would head for IDGC this time of year out of those choices- big event there soon so Jackson should be in great shape. Can't really lose with Harmon either- be sure to hit Sugar Hollow as one of your other courses.

Lake Marshall is an answer as well. Spectacular courses.

Every DGer should go to the IDGC at least once in their life. Plenty of other good courses around there also like the Langley and Boyd Pond courses.

Another idea is North Cove up in Marion NC. I've been camping in the area multiple times and I can imagine how beautiful dg would be out there.

Any events going on there this weekend?

without knowing your intentions and circumstances and i do not know your actual city you live in but i would go for stoney hill then hit up langley/idgc/augusta area courses

and if you have extra time i would go up towards greenville in sc although i havent researched it but they have "heavily wooded" courses and that area looks interesting and would be bonus on the return loop

without knowing your intentions and circumstances and i do not know your actual city you live in but i would go for stoney hill then hit up langley/idgc/augusta area courses

and if you have extra time i would go up towards greenville in sc although i havent researched it but they have "heavily wooded" courses and that area looks interesting and would be bonus on the return loop

There are some very good courses in the Greenville-Spartanburg area, and it makes a great loop with Charlotte & Augusta (and Stoney Hill en route). But it doesn't appear that our traveler has enough time for all of that.

If Sugaree is open, Sugaree/Harmon Hills/Ashe County would be awesome.

There are some very good courses in the Greenville-Spartanburg area, and it makes a great loop with Charlotte & Augusta (and Stoney Hill en route). But it doesn't appear that our traveler has enough time for all of that.

If Sugaree is open, Sugaree/Harmon Hills/Ashe County would be awesome.

can i hit you up in the future about those greenville spartanburg area courses

I'm just looking for some fun, challenging and unique courses to play. Maybe film them too if the weather is favorable.

Already played Sugaree. Great course but looking to play something brand new to me.

Will avoid Marion this week. Prefer to avoid large events and busy courses.

My favorite courses are long, wooded 18 hole courses with elevation in play and multiple par 4's and 5's. Big fan of the western PA courses like Moraine, Deer Lakes, Knob Hill, etc. and really enjoy Hornets Nest and Renny Gold in Charlotte, Rolling Pines in N. Wilkesboro, etc.

can i hit you up in the future about those greenville spartanburg area courses

Certainly. Though they're building them faster than I can play them. Grand Central Station is always rated as one of the top 5 in the state, with a mix of open and woods. Pipeline is a sweet and beautiful wooded course. Timmons is a very fun, short old-school course. Just for starters.

I'm just looking for some fun, challenging and unique courses to play. Maybe film them too if the weather is favorable.

Already played Sugaree. Great course but looking to play something brand new to me.

Will avoid Marion this week. Prefer to avoid large events and busy courses.

My favorite courses are long, wooded 18 hole courses with elevation in play and multiple par 4's and 5's. Big fan of the western PA courses like Moraine, Deer Lakes, Knob Hill, etc. and really enjoy Hornets Nest and Renny Gold in Charlotte, Rolling Pines in N. Wilkesboro, etc.

W.R. Jackson at IDGC is the one you're looking for. Langley Pond is close, physically and style-wise. (The other IDGC courses are wooded, just not as long as Jackson).

Pipeline (Spartanburg) and Chester State Park (middle of nowhere, SC) are very nice wooded courses, fairly long but not like Jackson & Langley.

Stoney Hill is a mix of woods & open (sort of like Renny). If nothing else, it has a lot of variety (and 36 holes in 2 overlapping layouts).

If you play Stoney Hill and Chester, you'll likely have the courses to yourself.

For longer courses, how bout a Fire Mountain/Panther Creek/Harmon Hills loop ?

For longer courses, how bout a Fire Mountain/Panther Creek/Harmon Hills loop ?

That's a great suggestion, and one I may end up doing. Panther Creek looks really fun, and Harmon Hills I've only heard good things about. Fire Mountain I'll have to look up, that's a new one to me, but I'll add it to my wish list.

W.R. Jackson at IDGC is the one you're looking for. Langley Pond is close, physically and style-wise. (The other IDGC courses are wooded, just not as long as Jackson).

Pipeline (Spartanburg) and Chester State Park (middle of nowhere, SC) are very nice wooded courses, fairly long but not like Jackson & Langley.

Stoney Hill is a mix of woods & open (sort of like Renny). If nothing else, it has a lot of variety (and 36 holes in 2 overlapping layouts).

If you play Stoney Hill and Chester, you'll likely have the courses to yourself.

Big fan of having the course to myself, especially if I'm filming and taking my time looking for the basket on every hole so I can pick optimum filming angles etc.

Been to Chester before but wouldn't mind a return trip. Haven't played the Spartanburg courses or Stoney Hill, but both have been on my radar for a while. I've biked through Newberry SC and it's a pretty area.

I'll check out the Stoney Hill website and see how the reservations look for this week.

Getting the vehicle loaded up this morning then flipping a coin to figure out which direction I should head. GA, TN, or northern NC / southern VA. All three areas sound fun and have a lot of good looking courses.

I appreciate the suggestions everyone! Whichever courses I don't play I'll try to get to in the summer.

All good options. Charleston was, too -- not particularly for the disc golf, but for being in and around Charleston.

Also a thought towards the weather, and how your routing fits around coming rain (our forecast here is rain Friday & Sunday; not sure what the timing may be at other destinations).

With your arm, you're going to love Harmon Hills and it saves the best for last ! Couple other courses in Morristown (near Panther Creek) if you want more options.

I ended up going to TN and having a blast. I'll hit up the IDGC this summer!
Did you hit Fire Mountain on the way ? That's the course I'm waiting to hear about from a very advanced player.

Nope. I did Panther Creek and Cherokee, threw Halo after buying my first Pyro, and filmed a round at Haywood Community College when I realized I'd make it to Asheville too late to film a round.

Gorgeous area. Can't wait to head back up there and play the courses I missed!

Latest posts