• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley to KC and back

Sorry just one more comment, Pickard is a haul. I know you have done your research but that course is a beast. I was fortunate to play with some locals when I was there 2013ish. It has definitely changed since based on coverage, still looks like a great park worth visiting.

All great info. Much appreciated :thmbup:

Pickard will be the first 18 holer we play so we'll still be fresh at that point. After a few days we just kind of settle into a routine of being sore. It becomes the new normal almost. This is an 11 day trip I believe. By day 3 or 4 it's just wake up and repeat. You know the deal having played that many courses. ;)

So, Bryant Lake on the 20th still?

You'll be in good company. Me and Mrs. wolf might hit 300' at Bryant Lake. If there's some downhill holes that is :p

All great info. Much appreciated :thmbup:

Pickard will be the first 18 holer we play so we'll still be fresh at that point. After a few days we just kind of settle into a routine of being sore. It becomes the new normal almost. This is an 11 day trip I believe. By day 3 or 4 it's just wake up and repeat. You know the deal having played that many courses. ;)

So, Bryant Lake on the 20th still?

You'll be in good company. Me and Mrs. wolf might hit 300' at Bryant Lake. If there's some downhill holes that is :p

Ha, I do well know the deal of a multi week roadtrip and am looking forward to trading stories at Bryant.

Upon further reflection, that round at Pickard I played was in a 5 some so most definitely made the round seem longer. Plus that was one of my earlier out of state dg trips (besides MO where my brother lives (which is why I have so many courses played there)). Also it was one of my biggest courses played at the time. I would like to revisit to see how it compares to Blue Valley and Jonesboro and Ozark Mtn. You two road warriors will have no problem with it being the first course of the day:)

Hole 17 at Bryant is the one everyone remembers as it is a downhill bomber. The last time I threw it I easily carried 400 (but turned it over 100 right never to be found again)...

Day 1 in the books. Rainy in WI and MN to start but it cleared up in IA. Ended up bagging four 9's. Outlet recreation complex, Prairie DGC, Firebird DGC and Centennial park. Nothing real exciting, but a good way to break up the trip at least. The good stuff starts tomorrow morning. Pickard park to start.

Beautiful weather for day 2. Started out with Pickard park. Played a mix of different tee pads, mostly shorts and mids. Fun course. Would be more fun if I could throw 400 or so feet. 😁

Played McCord park just down the road next. Pretty rough around the edges still. Meh.

Lawson lake after a couple hour drive. Beautiful course. Starts out more open but tightens up toward the end. Loved it.

Jesse James to finish the day. Solid. I was kind of expecting more but it was good. Excellent day of golf.

Beaver Creek today - watch your discs all the way to the rough. The tall grass is a black hole. Thought I might be able to catch you there at Smithville Lake today, but probably not. Other two courses are great unless the wind picks up off the lake.

Beaver Creek today - watch your discs all the way to the rough. The tall grass is a black hole. Thought I might be able to catch you there at Smithville Lake today, but probably not. Other two courses are great unless the wind picks up off the lake.

Decided to flip flop the days. Headed to Waterworks today and Paradise point tomorrow. I remember reading that in a review about Beaver Creek. That wind off Lawson lake was pretty rough yesterday too.

Day 3 down. Started out with Waterworks first thing in the morning. One other car in the lot and didn't encounter any other golfers. Very solid course. One of the nicer park style ones I've played. The elevation is no joke.

Hobby hill next. Loved this course. Short, technical golf with some decent elevation changes. This would be the course I played the most if I lived down here.

Headed to Fox Hill fliers next. Forgot it's at an elementary school though 🤦 Had to skip it since school was in session. Headed to Bed Rock Creek which was going to be the last one today. Fun course. A little more open than I was hoping but the terrain was used perfectly. Very solid course.

Decided to play La Benite too, since we were less than 15 minutes from it. Started out excellent. Tight wooded golf, with some tough, longer holes. The back 9 was the complete opposite. Long ass, mostly open holes. After already playing 63 holes lol. Still a pretty good course. It's getting hotter down here. Paradise Pointe early tomorrow.

Day 3 down. Started out with Waterworks first thing in the morning. One other car in the lot and didn't encounter any other golfers. Very solid course. One of the nicer park style ones I've played. The elevation is no joke.

Hobby hill next. Loved this course. Short, technical golf with some decent elevation changes. This would be the course I played the most if I lived down here.

Headed to Fox Hill fliers next. Forgot it's at an elementary school though 🤦 Had to skip it since school was in session. Headed to Bed Rock Creek which was going to be the last one today. Fun course. A little more open than I was hoping but the terrain was used perfectly. Very solid course.

Decided to play La Benite too, since we were less than 15 minutes from it. Started out excellent. Tight wooded golf, with some tough, longer holes. The back 9 was the complete opposite. Long ass, mostly open holes. After already playing 63 holes lol. Still a pretty good course. It's getting hotter down here. Paradise Pointe early tomorrow.

La Benite is a tough course in a lot of ways. You did good to play with no recent participation. The wooded holes have fair fairways, still very hard to maneuver. The long holes have few, but annoyingly (perfectly?) placed trees to make those challenging too.

I haven't played hobby hill for over a year and need to catch it again.

Bad rock creek is pretty fun too. Love hole 3(?) with the water carry.

La Benite is a tough course in a lot of ways. You did good to play with no recent participation. The wooded holes have fair fairways, still very hard to maneuver. The long holes have few, but annoyingly (perfectly?) placed trees to make those challenging too.

I haven't played hobby hill for over a year and need to catch it again.

Bad rock creek is pretty fun too. Love hole 3(?) with the water carry.

I did always seem to land behind the one tree in each fairway at La Benite. :\

They were all solid courses today though. I liked Hobby Hill the most, but that's just my favorite kind of golf. Tight and wooded. Bad Rock was really solid with some unique holes. I'd play either of those again, and of course Water Works. La Benite was the least appealing of the 4, but I'd play it again for sure.

Day 4 done. Headed to Paradise Pointe in the morning. Hit up Woodhenge first. Really solid course, I enjoyed it a lot. Figured we'd get the longest one out of the way when it wasn't as hot. Good call.

Played Blackthorn next with Seedlings. It was perfect timing as he texted me as we were tapping out hole 1. Waited for him by the basket and played the rest. Awesome guy, it's always cool meeting other DGCR members. Damn fun course too. I think it was my favorite of the three there. Close with Woodhenge but I'd give the nod to Blackthorn.

Played Beaver Creek last starting on hole 4 since that was where Blackthorn ended. Solid course but the long prairie grass on holes 4,5 and 6 is ridiculous. Shocked we didn't lose any discs (though I tried 😉). All in all a really fun complex with awesome views of the lake throughout.

Barely had enough energy to hit up Camp Branch on the other side of the lake. Udisc map didn't make sense and there no map so we played 9 safari holes on the 6 baskets we could find. Alyssa splashed out for an ace on one hole. If the "cage" wasn't a plastic cow watering bowl it probably would've stuck 😁.

Excellent day of golf once again. Skipping Blue Valley tomorrow since we have a whole week left yet. And these WI folks are getting beat down by the heat lol. Finding some more shaded options to replace it.

Alyssa splashed out for an ace on one hole. If the "cage" wasn't a plastic cow watering bowl it probably would've stuck 😁.

Pros: Baskets good for watering cows.

Cons: Baskets not good for catching aces. :doh:

Sounds like a great trip so far! The Paradise Pointe courses looked fun but we didn't get a chance to play there so I am a bit jealous. :)

Wolfhaley! Super chill and I really enjoyed your company! If you ever come back through the KC area, I'll definitely catch you again.
:clap:

Absolutely. We had a blast. And you weren't lying about that prairie grass on Beaver Creek. Some of the thickest stuff I've ever seen.

Sounds like a great trip so far! The Paradise Pointe courses looked fun but we didn't get a chance to play there so I am a bit jealous. :)

They were really fun. Better than I was expecting actually. There's some really good courses down here. We'll see what KS has to offer tomorrow 😁

Day 5's a wrap. Skipped Blue Valley and headed to Rosedale-Top first. Fun, we'll loved course. Busiest course we've played so far. I can see why.

Went down under for course 750 for me. Couldn't have worked out any better. This was my favorite course of the trip so far. Short, tight, hilly, cliffs just off the fairway, literally a dream kind of course for me. Soooo much fun. Not an open hole on the course. Love, love, loved it.

Topped it off at Birdland. Hilly, mostly open golf. Fun course but the total opposite of Rosedale-Down Under. It was also scorching hot out. Zapped what little energy we had left, baking in the sun.

Should be better weather tomorrow (barely). Playing Prairie Pass, Cedar Ridge and Longview. Probably hit that 9 over by Longview too. Hoping for clouds 😁

Day 5's a wrap. Skipped Blue Valley and headed to Rosedale-Top first. Fun, we'll loved course. Busiest course we've played so far. I can see why.

Yes, I also enjoyed Rosedale-Top.

Went down under for course 750 for me. Couldn't have worked out any better. This was my favorite course of the trip so far. Short, tight, hilly, cliffs just off the fairway, literally a dream kind of course for me. Soooo much fun. Not an open hole on the course. Love, love, loved it.

Glad you liked Down Under - I am also jealous about that because it sounded fun but I didn't get to play it. :(

Congrats on course 750, that is some serious bagging! :thmbup:

I think you will really like Cedar Ridge and Longview judging from your tastes. Best of luck tomorrow... and maybe a Ace along the way.

I think you will really like Cedar Ridge and Longview judging from your tastes. Best of luck tomorrow... and maybe a Ace along the way.

Get some revenge on Hole 8 at Longview for mdavis214. Took him there and he had a perfect line for the ace with an Atlas and a dang twig knocked it just low and hit the cage.

You were correct. I loved both Longview and Cedar Ridge. Those 2 along with Rosedale-Down Under have been the highlight of the trip so far. Longview is a beat down but so much fun regardless. Cedar Ridge was one of the best wooded park courses I've played in awhile. Both were outstanding. Started the day off at Prairie Center Park. Not a bad course but nothing real memorable either. It was about 10 minutes from the hotel so it served as a nice warm up course for the other two. Beautiful weather (finally) too.

Omaha tomorrow. Hummel, Treasure Cove and Seymour Smith. Hoping the rain holds off or I'll have to just play those 3 in the rain I guess :D

What no Blue Valley? You missed an epic beatdown, especially with the heat you've mentioned.

Latest posts