• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Great Midwestern Tour – Late Fall Edition

Monocacy

CZ 4 lyfe
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
We will be taking a late fall van trip to Wisconsin. Not a dedicated disc golf trip but I hope to play most days, weather permitting. Planning on driveway camping with friends and relatives most nights, unless they offer a spare bedroom.

Originally this was going to be a San Antonio trip, but life happens. Wisconsin should be just as warm as San Antonio in November, right? :rolleyes:

Creaky old joints are usually good for two full rounds a day, maybe with a fun 9-holer thrown in for kicks. Dog-friendly courses strongly preferred, although spousal unit has kindly offered to entertain the dogs while I play a special course.

As always I enjoy meeting up with people along the way. Hoping to bag Iowa and Minnesota, which would be states 41 and 42.

This is the wildly optimistic itinerary of courses under consideration. Suggestions and comments welcomed!

Outbound:
The Glades at Meshach Run (nr) 9
Chasing the Chains DGC (2.00) 11
Veterans Memorial DGC (3.50) 18
Echo Valley (4.45) 18 = Ohio #1
Megiddo (4.23) 18
Camden Park – II (4.50) 18
Camden Park – I (3.59) 18
Devil's Glen (4.00) 18 = New state! (Iowa)
Veteran Hills (4.33) 18

Visiting relatives in Chippewa Falls (already played the Tower Ridge courses):

Lafayette Town Hall Park (3.33) 9
Leininkugel's – Warmup (nr) 6
Leinenkugel's – Main (nr) 18
Mount Simon Park (3.25) 9
Buckrub DGC (nr) 9
Pinehurst Park (2.50) 9

Hoping to sneak out to Minneapolis/St. Paul for a day or two:

Brickyard (3.59) 9
Garlough Park (3.08) 9 = New state! (Minnesota)
Blue Ribbon Pines (4.71) 27 = Minnesota #1, DGCR #9
Bethel University (3.79) 18
Lakewood Hills (3.89) 18
Lambs Creek (3.61) 9

Stops in Markesan and Menomonee Falls:

Justin Trails – Big Brother (4.62) 18 = DGCR #20
Mile Bluff DGC (3.17) 6
Fireman's Park Upper (2.92) 10
Brown Deer (3.96) 21
Sandy Knoll – Anfanger (2.00) 9
Sandy Knoll – Original (3.78) 18
Grotelueschen Park (nr) 3
Stoney Creek (4.09) 18

Homebound, including a visit with Michigan relatives:

Meyer Broadway – Original (3.89) 18
Pine Lake Rec. Area (4.00) 9
Rolling Hills – Main (4.07) 18 – Looks fun but not dog friendly. Other suggestions?
Findley State Park (4.20) 24
The Dips @ Denny Park (2.50) 9

Looks like an awesome trip!!! Let me know the dates when you lock them in. I was planning on heading over to Eau Claire to bag a few I haven't played yet in about ten days. Should get a couple reviews up for the Leinies courses.

Looks like an awesome trip!!! Let me know the dates when you lock them in. I was planning on heading over to Eau Claire to bag a few I haven't played yet in about ten days. Should get a couple reviews up for the Leinies courses.

Nice! Your reviews are always appreciated, and I will let you know when we lock in travel plans.

If schedules align it would be great to toss a round or three. :D

devils glen played as 3/5 when i was there over this summer

Not what I wanted to hear but good to know, thanks!

Was the 3/5 more from design, maintenance, or limitations of the landscape?

West Lake was my first choice for bagging Iowa, but not sure I can squeeze that in and finish Veteran Hills in Viroqua before sunset. Maybe play West Lake and Kelly Oaks Park (niner near Dubuque) to bag Iowa, and then skip Veteran Hills?

Driving from Rock Hill, IL so other suggestions welcomed!

why garlough tho

Proximity, daylight, and my janky heel's 45-hole daily limit. :rolleyes: Is there a more interesting 9-hole (or very short 18-hole) course on the way to BRP from Chippewa Falls?

We will be taking a late fall van trip to Wisconsin. Not a dedicated disc golf trip but I hope to play most days, weather permitting. Planning on driveway camping with friends and relatives most nights, unless they offer a spare bedroom.

Originally this was going to be a San Antonio trip, but life happens. Wisconsin should be just as warm as San Antonio in November, right? :rolleyes:

Creaky old joints are usually good for two full rounds a day, maybe with a fun 9-holer thrown in for kicks. Dog-friendly courses strongly preferred, although spousal unit has kindly offered to entertain the dogs while I play a special course.

As always I enjoy meeting up with people along the way. Hoping to bag Iowa and Minnesota, which would be states 41 and 42.

This is the wildly optimistic itinerary of courses under consideration. Suggestions and comments welcomed!

Outbound:
The Glades at Meshach Run (nr) 9
Chasing the Chains DGC (2.00) 11
Veterans Memorial DGC (3.50) 18
Echo Valley (4.45) 18 = Ohio #1
Megiddo (4.23) 18
Camden Park – II (4.50) 18
Camden Park – I (3.59) 18
Devil's Glen (4.00) 18 = New state! (Iowa)
Veteran Hills (4.33) 18

Visiting relatives in Chippewa Falls (already played the Tower Ridge courses):

Lafayette Town Hall Park (3.33) 9
Leininkugel's – Warmup (nr) 6
Leinenkugel's – Main (nr) 18
Mount Simon Park (3.25) 9
Buckrub DGC (nr) 9
Pinehurst Park (2.50) 9

Hoping to sneak out to Minneapolis/St. Paul for a day or two:

Brickyard (3.59) 9
Garlough Park (3.08) 9 = New state! (Minnesota)
Blue Ribbon Pines (4.71) 27 = Minnesota #1, DGCR #9
Bethel University (3.79) 18
Lakewood Hills (3.89) 18
Lambs Creek (3.61) 9

Stops in Markesan and Menomonee Falls:

Justin Trails – Big Brother (4.62) 18 = DGCR #20
Mile Bluff DGC (3.17) 6
Fireman's Park Upper (2.92) 10
Brown Deer (3.96) 21
Sandy Knoll – Anfanger (2.00) 9
Sandy Knoll – Original (3.78) 18
Grotelueschen Park (nr) 3
Stoney Creek (4.09) 18

Homebound, including a visit with Michigan relatives:

Meyer Broadway – Original (3.89) 18
Pine Lake Rec. Area (4.00) 9
Rolling Hills – Main (4.07) 18 – Looks fun but not dog friendly. Other suggestions?
Findley State Park (4.20) 24
The Dips @ Denny Park (2.50) 9

Great looking trip. If you want a tour guide for Echo, let me know. I'm only 45 minutes away. :)

West Lake was my first choice for bagging Iowa, but not sure I can squeeze that in and finish Veteran Hills in Viroqua before sunset. Maybe play West Lake and Kelly Oaks Park (niner near Dubuque) to bag Iowa, and then skip Veteran Hills?

West Lake is a must-play, IMO. MUST. PLAY. :)

Thanks! The more I think about it, that may be the better option. Or maybe go back to my original plan of Wildcat Bluff.

Hmm. Need to do some research again.

west lake is a marathon course

24 holes and lots of walking between holes

if time and stamina is a concern i would look elsewhere

If you are primarily looking for challenge, then I agree with notapro.

Agree with everything elmex is saying. West Lake took a LOT more energy than your average course. Also lots of water in play from the longs at West Lake, so definitely bring a few drivers you wouldn't mind sacrificing.

West Lake is probably in my top 5 most challenging courses list. It wouldn't rank anywhere near that high for fun factor, natural beauty, etc.

Maybe skip Camden I and Devil's Glen and replace with Wildcat or West Lake? Depends on what type of golf you are looking for.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. Much appreciated!

Wildcat Bluff is the Iowa course I most want to play, so the updated plan for Rock Island to Chippewa Falls is:

High Point DGC (3.00) 9 = New state! (Iowa)
Wildcat Bluff (4.66) 18 = Iowa #1, DGCR #15

west lake is a marathon course

24 holes and lots of walking between holes

if time and stamina is a concern i would look elsewhere

Time is definitely a concern, and a long round with lots of walking between holes would not be ideal for this trip. Spousal unit is tolerant but not infinitely so, and I very much want to keep her on board with disc golf vacations. :)

Last time I over-stressed my heel it put me out of action for a few months, but I have been able to play 18+18+9 nearly every day for two weeks with no problems.

So I plan trips with that limit in mind.

Thanks again!

If you are primarily looking for challenge, then I agree with notapro.

Agree with everything elmex is saying. West Lake took a LOT more energy than your average course. Also lots of water in play from the longs at West Lake, so definitely bring a few drivers you wouldn't mind sacrificing.

West Lake is probably in my top 5 most challenging courses list. It wouldn't rank anywhere near that high for fun factor, natural beauty, etc.

Your perspective is greatly appreciated. Sounds like West Lake is not the best fit for this trip, but may work better for a planned Colorado vacation next summer.

I have lots of drivers that I don't mind sacrificing. Some I might even enjoy losing. ;)

Maybe skip Camden I and Devil's Glen and replace with Wildcat or West Lake? Depends on what type of golf you are looking for.

Camden I is a bonus course if we get into Rock Island early enough. Gonna save West Lake and Devil's Glen as options for future trips. Wildcat was my first choice when I started planning this trip, so back to that plan. If in doubt, go with your first impression, right?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for the suggestions. Much appreciated!

Wildcat Bluff is the Iowa course I most want to play, so the updated plan for Rock Island to Chippewa Falls is:

High Point DGC (3.00) 9 = New state! (Iowa)
Wildcat Bluff (4.66) 18 = Iowa #1, DGCR #15

Time is definitely a concern, and a long round with lots of walking between holes would not be ideal for this trip. Spousal unit is tolerant but not infinitely so, and I very much want to keep her on board with disc golf vacations. :)

Last time I over-stressed my heel it put me out of action for a few months, but I have been able to play 18+18+9 nearly every day for two weeks with no problems.

So I plan trips with that limit in mind.

Thanks again!

Your perspective is greatly appreciated. Sounds like West Lake is not the best fit for this trip, but may work better for a planned Colorado vacation next summer.

I have lots of drivers that I don't mind sacrificing. Some I might even enjoy losing. ;)

Camden I is a bonus course if we get into Rock Island early enough. Gonna save West Lake and Devil's Glen as options for future trips. Wildcat was my first choice when I started planning this trip, so back to that plan. If in doubt, go with your first impression, right?

Thanks!

wildcat is the move for sure

Your pooch will have so much fun at Justin Trails you won't want to leave. I would play both courses though. Big Brother is a large endeavor however. Veteran Hills is also spectacular. You may never see another person while playing at either of these two locations which may be one of my favorite reasons for playing a course. Also both Camden courses I would put in my upper echelon of courses. Hope weather will be with you.

Big Brother is a tough course, though it'll be much more manageable in these current temps we're experiencing. I'd personally rather play Veteran's than Justin Trail's original. But it is quite daunting playing the original course first as a warm up. You can see a basket up that giant hillside, hole 17's I believe, and you start to wonder what you've gotten yourself into. :(

In a good way though.;)

Wildcat Bluff is a good one. You'll like that course.

Big Brother is a tough course, though it'll be much more manageable in these current temps we're experiencing. I'd personally rather play Veteran's than Justin Trail's original. But it is quite daunting playing the original course first as a warm up. You can see a basket up that giant hillside, hole 17's I believe, and you start to wonder what you've gotten yourself into. :(

In a good way though.;)

I do appreciate your perspective on these courses.

Weirdly, Wildcat Bluffs and Veteran Hills are in competition on the Rock Island to Chippewa Falls leg. I could play one or the other but not both, unless we hit the road at oh-dark-thirty. :eek: I have never been much of a morning person, and have developed an even deeper appreciation for sleeping in since retirement. :rolleyes:

I could hit Veteran Hills instead of Justin Trails on the Chippewa Falls to Markesan leg, but it adds an hour of driving. On a bagging trip I would hit both without question, but spousal unit deserves to spend time with the folks she grew up with in Markesan.

Hmm, something to think about. Thanks for the recommendation!

Wildcat Bluff is a good one. You'll like that course.

Yes I am looking forward to Wildcat Bluff. Thanks!

Oh play Justin Trail's Big Brother over anything else. I meant I'd probably pick Veteran's and Big Brother over Big Brother and JT Classic. Justin Trail's Big Brother is absolute awesomeness, well worth it's top 25 status. It's that good.

Edit: My reading comprehension isn't the best. ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts