• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Great Midwestern tour

Monocacy

CZ 4 lyfe
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Thinking ahead about a possible trip to Wisconsin in summer 2021. The purpose of the trip is attending a wedding but hey, no sense wasting an opportunity to do some bagging. Any number of things could mess up plans - the pandemic, injuries, work, etc. – but a guy can dream. :D

Creaky old joints are good for two full rounds a day, maybe with a fun 9-holer thrown in for kicks. I'll be traveling with the dog, so pet-friendly courses only (which rules out Flip City, sadly, and several Wisconsin courses).

I want to bag Indiana, Illinois, and Michigan, states that I have driven through or visited many times without actually playing disc golf. :rolleyes: Hoping to meet up with a few folks along the way.

This is the current, wildly optimistic itinerary of courses under consideration. Suggestions welcomed!

Days 1-6: Maryland to Chippewa Falls

Central Assembly of God (3.33) 9
Knobley Mountain (2.17) 9
No Boundary – Learn to Play (3.38) 6
No Boundary – Main (4.20) 18
Mastodon DGC (4.25) 18 = New state! (Indiana)
Lucerne Park (2.75) 9
The Canyons (4.49) 27 = New state! (Illinois)
Adler Park (3.22) 9
Fairfield Park (4.58) 18
Lincoln Park (3.19) 18
Fox River – Red Fox (2.82) 9
Fox River – Grey Fox (4.05) 18
Silver Fox (4.24) 18
Wilderness (4.60) 18
McDill Pond (2.62) 9
Yulga Park (3.89) 18

Days 7-8: Wedding and family activities around Chippewa Falls. Groom is a disc golfer but may be otherwise occupied. ;)

Buckrub DGC (nr) 9
Mount Simon Park (3.23) 9
Tower Ridge I (4.07) 18
Tower Ridge II (3.39) 18

Days 9-10: Highbridge Hills and across the Michigan UP. From this point on the schedule gets tight, unless I can figure out how to retire before this trip. Retirement is tempting. Very tempting.

Highbridge – Woodland Greens (3.69) 18
Highbridge – Blueberry Hill (4.69) 18
Highbridge – Granite Ridge (4.57) 18
Highbridge – Gold (4.55) 18 and/or The Bear (3.82) 18
Powder Mill (4.18) 18 = New state! (Michigan)

Days 11-13: Michigan, visit cousin, and drive back to Maryland

Burchfield – River's Edge (3.88) 18
Burchfield – Devil's Den (4.40) 18
Vienna Park (3.60) 18 (or other Toledo course)
Two Mile Run Extension (3.61) 9
Linbrook (3.56) 9

Attachments

• Wisconsin wedding.jpg
    Wisconsin wedding.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 54
Looks like quite the trip you got lined up there. As you already know, send me a message when/if you finalize the details. I just played 2 rounds at McDill last Friday. Fun little course. Yulga is a blast too. Those pair relly well together. I'd be down to play those anytime and I have vacation to burn. Two others to consider in the area are Big Eau Pleine and Standing Rocks. You'd probably have to choose one of these two over the McDill/Yulga combo but wouldn't be disappointed by either.

Now as for Eau Claire. The Tower Ridge courses are a blast. Towers I is hilly and more technical but is probably my favorite of the two. Towers II is flatter but also really enjoyable. If you're there you gotta play them both. I'd be down to meet you there too. I played them both last July for the first time in probably 4 years. Mount Simon is a typical city park style course. Nothing special but a good relaxing round. I'd do these no problem too. Never played Buckrub.

I need to plan a Highbridge trip anyway, so I'd be down for this too. I was going to do this in August but I have nothing set in stone for this yet. Not sure what the Gold layout is going to look like this year. Last I heard is that it's being redone so that might not be as good as you're expecting. Bear was fantastic the 2 times I played it last year. Might be a better bet than Gold this year. I'd do these as well.

As for your others. The Canyons is freakin' phenomenal. Do that for sure. I was very excited to see that you had the 3 foxes in Kenosha on there. Love, love, love these courses. Silver Fox is tough, really tough. Fabulous course though. Grey fox is tough but much less so than the Silver Fox. Red fox is right on site by the Grey fox and is a great warmup for the other two. Highly recommend all three of these.

I might be more excited about your trip than you are :hfive:

Just a couple other things :D

No Boundary is amazing!!! But it is also probably the most physically demanding course I've ever played. The elevation is unlike anything I've ever seen before. I honestly almost gave up after 9 holes. The learn to play is very easy, Kind of like a longer Clark's Run putter course. The Main one is CRAZY though. It will wear you out.

I actually liked Two Mile Run more than Linbrook, but those are two of the best 9 holers I've ever played. You gotta do these if possible.

I'll let some others chime in I guess. Let me know when or if you finalize your plans. :thmbup:

North Boundary is a beast, July '19 I drove 5 hrs and played 11 holes in the heat and then simply walked the course to see it. I'm old and have bad hips. I was in town for a baseball game (PNC Park is the best stadium I've been too). Last Nov drove 5 hrs and played the back 9 to finish it, then went to Dented Keg brewery just 5 min's away for a great lunch, highly recommend it!

Burchfield is fantastic, 2 courses in the same park. Devil's has 2 tee and 2 baskets on each hole and is beautiful. Why don't I hear much about it? It's GREAT.

Skip Ohio and get to something better on that route, I've driven thru it 40 times. Lemon Lake in NW Indiana has 4? courses. I'd consider that.

Last edited:
As you already know, send me a message when/if you finalize the details. I just played 2 rounds at McDill last Friday. Fun little course. Yulga is a blast too. Those pair relly well together. I'd be down to play those anytime and I have vacation to burn.

Absolutely, I'm looking forward to tossing discs with y'all on this trip, and I greatly appreciate your insight and suggestions about courses.. :thmbup:

Two others to consider in the area are Big Eau Pleine and Standing Rocks. You'd probably have to choose one of these two over the McDill/Yulga combo but wouldn't be disappointed by either.

Unfortunately Big Eau Pleine and Standing Rocks do not allow pets, and I will have the Red Dog with me. They looked like fun courses, too.

Now as for Eau Claire. . . . I'd be down to meet you there too. . . . Never played Buckrub.

Fabulous! Buckrub looks fun - "Private course, open to anyone with a PDGA Number or members of the Chippewa Valley Disc Golf Organization."

I need to plan a Highbridge trip anyway, so I'd be down for this too.

Also fabulous! BiL has land nearby but I don't know if we will be camping, staying in a rustic cabin, or what. Should know more as plans develop.

I might be more excited about your trip than you are :hfive:

:D :hfive:

No Boundary is amazing!!! But it is also probably the most physically demanding course I've ever played.

Good advice! I scheduled a relatively light day to go with NoBo.

I actually liked Two Mile Run more than Linbrook, but those are two of the best 9 holers I've ever played. You gotta do these if possible.

Yeah we'll see what shape I'm in at the end of the trip. Pittsburgh is only about 3 hours from home so I expect to be out that way again.

Let me know when or if you finalize your plans. :thmbup:

Absolutely!

Be sure to hit me up regarding Central and Knobley. :thmbup:

Absolutely!

just throwing it out there

powder mill in michigan is not a 4+ rated course

dg in marquette seems largely like an afterthought and was pretty lackluster overall

yes im spoiled i live in mn and have tons of great courses but i would not drive out of my way for powder mill

idk what route youre taking or the exact plans but i just wanted to let you know especially cuz mi is subsequent to playin highbridge

Days 11-13: Michigan, visit cousin, and drive back to Maryland

Burchfield – River's Edge (3.88) 18
Burchfield – Devil's Den (4.40) 18
Vienna Park (3.60) 18 (or other Toledo course)

Your itinerary pretty much avoids the Detroit/Ann Arbor area.

If it falls on a weekend, I could meet at Burchfield for a couple of rounds. The two courses complement each other quite well, and make for a great day of discing. IMO, they're better 1-2 punch than any two course destination in my immediate area, although it's definitely debatable.

Vienna's quite a solid course and the best I've played in the Toledo Area, but to be honest many of the courses in the Ann Arbor area have it beat: Kensington, Independence Lake, Hudson Mills, Rolling Hills.

Playing any of those in lieu of 1-2 near Toledo should have virtually no impact on your drive time, albeit you'd would end up with a slightly different route. I'd be able to meet you at one of those for an afternoon round during the week.

...but that might have been your incentive for steering clear clear of this area in the first place. :p

Last edited:
. . . Skip Ohio and get to something better on that route, I've driven thru it 40 times. Lemon Lake in NW Indiana has 4? courses. I'd consider that.

Thanks for the feedback on NoBo and Burchfield, much appreciated.

Ohio is a long drive without stopping. I prefer to break up the drive and stretch my legs every few hours, even if a course is nothing special. And every once in a while, a nothing-special course will be a pleasant surprise!

You are right that I am skipping several worthy courses on the south end of Lake Michigan. We have relatives in Wisconsin so I hope to play more of these courses on future trips.

Thanks for taking the time to post!

Days 7-8: Wedding and family activities around Chippewa Falls. Groom is a disc golfer but may be otherwise occupied. ;)

Buckrub DGC (nr) 9
Mount Simon Park (3.23) 9
Tower Ridge I (4.07) 18
Tower Ridge II (3.39) 18

Now as for Eau Claire. The Tower Ridge courses are a blast. Towers I is hilly and more technical but is probably my favorite of the two. Towers II is flatter but also really enjoyable. If you're there you gotta play them both. I'd be down to meet you there too. I played them both last July for the first time in probably 4 years. Mount Simon is a typical city park style course. Nothing special but a good relaxing round. I'd do these no problem too. Never played Buckrub.

:

Definitely count me in on the Eau Claire leg too if you're looking for one more arm! That's my backyard haha. Mt. Simon used to be my "home course". Definitely recommend playing that one during off peak hours. It gets absolutely packed with college aged chuckers in the afternoons, especially on weekends. Never played Buckrub. Wolf summed up the Tower courses nicely. Definitely the best courses in Eau Claire. If you're looking for a super quick and easy 9 just to add to the bag total, Northstar Middle school in Eau Claire is in the neighborhood of Buckrub and not too far from the Tower courses too. It's an utterly unspectacular school course that I usually play as a good warm up to tower ridge.

Id also put Pinehurst park on your radar as a fun 9 in EC. I've only played it once now, but it was fun. Reminded me of a baby Tower ridge.

Last edited:
just throwing it out there

powder mill in michigan is not a 4+ rated course

dg in marquette seems largely like an afterthought and was pretty lackluster overall

Appreciate your perspective. Driving across the UP fits the Michigan leg of the trip best, and I'd like to play something about half-way(ish).

Looks like the northern or southern routes across the UP are roughly equal. Any recommendations on courses around Gladstone or Iron Mountain?

Appreciate your perspective. Driving across the UP fits the Michigan leg of the trip best, and I'd like to play something about half-way(ish).

Looks like the northern or southern routes across the UP are roughly equal. Any recommendations on courses around Gladstone or Iron Mountain?

i have not played any of those

the up is incredibly beautiful and great hiking

if i was to go back to marquette area i would play a quick round at powder mill or eagle rock (which is worse than powder mill) then go to dead river falls to explore

also worth stopping into is the presque isle park

oh lulz i didnt see your pic you attached :doh::doh:

powder ridge is good enough

i would do hiking

or stop in at pictured rocks in munising an hour away from marquette

Your itinerary pretty much avoids the Detroit/Ann Arbor area.

There's a ton of courses I'd love to play around Ann Arbor/Detroit. If I didn't have to get back to work, I'd take an extra day or two. Unfortunately the return leg of the trip has time constraints. Unless I retire before the trip. :)

If I miss out on Ann Arbor/Detroit this trip I hope to be back in the not-too-distant future. Health willing, of course.

If it falls on a weekend, I could meet at Burchfield for a couple of rounds. The two courses complement each other quite well, and make for a great day of discing. IMO, they're better 1-2 punch than any two course destination in my immediate area, although it's definitely debatable.

Looking more like a weekday at this point, but I'll let you know.

Vienna's quite a solid course and the best I've played in the Toledo Area, but to be honest many of the courses in the Ann Arbor area have it beat: Kensington, Independence Lake, Hudson Mills, Rolling Hills.

Playing any of those in lieu of 1-2 near Toledo should have virtually no impact on your drive time, albeit you'd would end up with a slightly different route. I'd be able to meet you at one of those for an afternoon round during the week.

I might meet up with someone in the Toledo area. If that doesn't work out I'll check out the Ann Arbor route. Thanks for the recommendations!

...but that might have been your incentive for steering clear clear of this area in the first place. :p

Haha. Not my motivation. And we still need to play Patapsco Valley. :D

Definitely count me in on the Eau Claire leg too if you're looking for one more arm!

Sounds great!

That's my backyard haha. Mt. Simon used to be my "home course". Definitely recommend playing that one during off peak hours. It gets absolutely packed with college aged chuckers in the afternoons, especially on weekends.

Cool, thanks for the warning! Not sure how the family time / disc golf balance will work out so I may need to be selective.

Wolf summed up the Tower courses nicely. Definitely the best courses in Eau Claire. If you're looking for a super quick and easy 9 just to add to the bag total, Northstar Middle school in Eau Claire is in the neighborhood of Buckrub and not too far from the Tower courses too. It's an utterly unspectacular school course that I usually play as a good warm up to tower ridge.

Yep, I'm looking forward to Tower Ridge. Thanks for your rundown of the other courses, too.

Id also put Pinehurst park on your radar as a fun 9 in EC. I've only played it once now, but it was fun. Reminded me of a baby Tower ridge.

I had missed Pinehurst - thanks for the tip! Looks like some fun downhill bombs and brutal rough?

I had missed Pinehurst - thanks for the tip! Looks like some fun downhill bombs and brutal rough?

I wouldn't call it overly brutal rough. It's wooded, but nothing ridiculous from what I remember. I'm sure I'll be going back a few times before you make it over soon can give you an update. Lord knows I miss my fair share (most?) of fairways, and I don't remember thinking it was too bad. It plays a lot like Tower Ridge. Up and down through the woods, even the fairways lay out similarly. The last hole is a massive downhill bomb.

Sounds great!

Cool, thanks for the warning! Not sure how the family time / disc golf balance will work out so I may need to be selective.

Yep, I'm looking forward to Tower Ridge. Thanks for your rundown of the other courses, too.

pinehurst isnt what i would call brutal rough

overall the endurance vs enjoyment ratio wasnt there for me to be a solid course

tower ridge is def the best in the area and worth the p2p

Buckrub is a very enjoyable little private course. Couple water holes; one of the more interesting pin placements you will see anywhere:
2c771e33.jpg

Latest posts