• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley goes to Oregon 2024

wolfhaley

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Ok, so we got everything booked now so I'll throw this one out there too. We're flying to Oregon on 6/9 out of Minneapolis. This will be a 12 day trip total. The first day is just getting there and the last day is mostly just getting back but we should be able to squeeze a couple more in that day due too the time of our flight back. Anyway, here's the plan. All suggestions, feedback and doubts are welcomed.

Day 1:
Fly to Portland

Day 2: Portland
Riverbend DGC - (27)
Timber Park - (21)
Dabney S.P. - (18)

This will be the day right after BSF so Milo should be in great shape. We'll also be fresh so this is the plan for sure.

Day 3: Portland
Pier Park - (18)
Leverich Park - (12)
Hockinson Meadows - (18)
Blue Lake Regional Park - (18)

Day 4: Portland
Horning's Hideout- Meadow Ridge - (18)
Horning's Hideout- Canyon Course - (18)
Horning's Hideout- Highland Course - (18)

Day 5: Longview WA
McCormick Park - (18)
Trojan Park - (18)
Rainier Riverfront Park - (9)
Tam O'Shanter Park - (9)
Roy Morse Park - (9)

Day 6: Warrenton OR
Lucky Mud-Woodpecker - (10)
Lucky Mud- Raven - (21)
Columbia Shore DGC - (23)
Lil Ooozlefinch - (9)

Day 7: Reedsport OR
Twisted Pine - (18)
Red River DGC - (18)

This is mostly driving along the coast and maybe stopping down to check out the Pacific.

Day 8: Oakland OR
Bicentennial Park - (9)
Whistler's Bend - (27)
TBD

This day is basically Whistler's Bend day. The original plan was to drive up to either Eugene or ideally Creswell. Turns out there's no hotels up there. Apparently there's Olympic qualifying events or something during this time for track and field. Oakland it is then.

Day 9: Corvallis OR
Dexter Park - (18)
Stewart Pond - (18)
Camp Serene - (18) *maybe*

Day 10: Salem OR
Blodgett Woods - (18)
Adair Park - (18)
Camp Taloali - (18) *maybe*

These camp ones are *hopefully we can play them* deals. If not we'll just switch them out with available public options. Those both look awesome though, so those are the plan. Blodgett is private but I'll do my due diligence for that one too.

Day 11: Newberg OR
Wheatland DGC - (18)
Dave Heider DGC - (18)
Champoeg S.P. - (18)

Dave Heider is a private one so, again, I'll do my best when it gets closer. If not, it'll be something else.

Day 12: Fly home
Ewing Young - (12)
Herbert Hoover Park - (9)

We don't fly out until 5 PM. We'll have to check out of the hotel by 11 I'd assume. That gives us 6 hours so I booked this shit in Newberg to make sure we have decent options.

That's the plan. @ODRB doesn't think we can do it. I think we can. We shall see. He'll also be showing us around the Portland area and getting annoyed at our shockingly short drives and horrendous putting. ;)

So there you have it. Let's hear it.

I think it is a bit aggressive. And I wish you the best with it all.

Looking forward to catching a round or two!

ambitious. i like it.
day 5 you could skip rainier riverfront cuz it's a crappy 7maybe... the baskets are in severe disrepair... i guess it could use another review to bring it's average down... certainly below a 2 now.
day7: you might swap twisted pine for wilder. i haven't played twisted pine, but i'm sure wilder is the better course if you have time for it (maybe even both)
willamette park in corvallis is always busy, if you decide to play it.

All good choices I think. One course that I recommend is Bryant Park.

REALLY underrated course in Albany, OR. I gave it a 4.0 and @cefire gave it a 4.5. Granted I haven't played the course since 2010 so it has surely changed in that time but worthy of a stop.

Ok, so we got everything booked now so I'll throw this one out there too. We're flying to Oregon on 6/9 out of Minneapolis. This will be a 12 day trip total.

Looks like a fabulous trip, with lots of courses I either enjoyed or have on my wish list. I hope y'all have a great time!

My one suggestion is to plan on spotting for each other more often than you think. Lots of forest courses have a picturesque but disc-eating carpet of ferns. When I play with the Oregon relatives they routinely send out a spotter in the woods.

Day 10: Salem OR
Blodgett Woods - (18)
Adair Park - (18)
Camp Taloali - (18) *maybe*

If you have time, consider Oregon State Hospital in Salem. Pretty grounds and a very interesting history. I have played catch there, but sadly have not bagged the course. Yet.

day7: you might swap twisted pine for wilder. i haven't played twisted pine, but i'm sure wilder is the better course if you have time for it (maybe even both)

I was also going to suggest Wilder, although I have only played the previous version. Unique temperate rainforest habitat where anything stationary is rapidly covered in moss. Nice seafood and beer at Newport, also.

Appreciate all the suggestions every 👍

I'll check out some of these tonight. Definitely looked at Wilder. That day was mainly a driving day and just seeing the ocean. The wife's never seen the Pacific before. And it's been around 30 years now since I have.

All good choices I think. One course that I recommend is Bryant Park.

REALLY underrated course in Albany, OR. I gave it a 4.0 and @cefire gave it a 4.5. Granted I haven't played the course since 2010 so it has surely changed in that time but worthy of a stop.

This one looks interesting. I'm going to add it to my notes just in case Camp Taloali is a no go. Sounds decently wooded which is what I like best. (y)

It is for sure. That's how we always go about these trips. It's all disc golf, all day. Just giving you shit ;)

Looking forward to it as well. Should be good times.

When it comes to Oregon, I am qualified to offer opinions. I've played virtually everything in Oregon and Washington. From the top I'll say that River Bend (Milo) Timber, and Dabney in a day is too ambitious. Milo is a beast. You'll have the 1,000 foot hole and others at 700- 900 and navigation there has always been a chore for me. Timber is much tamer and absolutely in my top 3 for Oregon. I got a hunch that you might want to skip Dabney that day, but to your advantage you'll have daylight till 9:30. For day 2 you may be too ambitious as Blue Lake is a monster. Any 3s you get there are rare. Hockinson also is a challenge. Pier is great but can get really crowded. Leverich is an easy play, but doing all of these is a long day. Hornings, a full day but easily done. Trojan has .ore water challenge than any course I've played, so bring g some floaters or trash disc's. While in Newport I would absolutely recommend Twisted Pines over Wilder. I think some of the holes at Wilder are kind of ridiculous and many of the holes are high risk for lost disc's. I think the pro layout at Wilder is way too much (unless you are a pro) We play round 1 from the Amateur tees and for the 2nd round play many of the longer baskets, but never again the pro layout. Whistler sure ain't what it used to be.They took out some good fun holes and replaced them with mediocre and cruddy holes, yet there are still some epic holes. While in Eugene Alton Baker Park is real nice. Taloali and Serene are both awesome courses for $5 and are open most of the time, though some Summer kid camps can affect that.
Other courses to consider are Dallas City Park (very fun), Willamette Park, my 1st and very worthy, Stub Stewart, Waterloo, Buxton Woods. As all us baggers realize, you just can't get em' all. Congratulations, I see that you'll hit 1000 played by this Spring.

Oh, I meant to recommend not playing the pro layout at Twisted Pines, not Wilder. Wilder just has one layout, I think.

Oh, I meant to recommend not playing the pro layout at Twisted Pines, not Wilder. Wilder just has one layout, I think.

Appreciate the excellent intel on all those courses. SOOO many of them. Great local insight. Just to be clear though, You'd play Twisted Pines over Wilder, just not the pro layout at Twisted Pines?

Whistler sure ain't what it used to be.They took out some good fun holes and replaced them with mediocre and cruddy holes, yet there are still some epic holes. While in Eugene Alton Baker Park is real nice. Taloali and Serene are both awesome courses for $5 and are open most of the time, though some Summer kid camps can affect that.

Just curious why Whistler's isn't what it used to be? Or more precisely why? was there a redesign on some of the holes for some reason? I hadn't ever really researched it before the last 6 months or so.

Taloali and Serene both look incredible. Ideally I'd like to play both of these. That's good to hear that they're open most of the time. Those will be two that I'll have to figure out when it gets closer.

Always great to get the perspective of another course bagger too (y) I'll have probably hit 1000 just before this trip. My wife will most likely hit 1000 in Oregon though as she's about 20 behind me. I'm kind of jealous.

i could see that (starting early)... if you pack a lunch, you could then hit up stub stewart & Buxton Woods DGC

We'll be starting early for sure. Not sure what a "lunch" is though. Never heard of that before ;)

Seriously though, we don't pack lunch ever. We'll eat some breakfast beforehand, and I may pick up some Cliff bars for the wife for "lunch" as we're playing or driving. Other than that we just play all day and eat after.

We'll be starting early for sure. Not sure what a "lunch" is though. Never heard of that before ;)

Seriously though, we don't pack lunch ever. We'll eat some breakfast beforehand, and I may pick up some Cliff bars for the wife for "lunch" as we're playing or driving. Other than that we just play all day and eat after.
you sound like yer a professional or somethin

Just curious why Whistler's isn't what it used to be? Or more precisely why? was there a redesign on some of the holes for some reason? I hadn't ever really researched it before the last 6 months or so.
There was. IMO the old Whistler's Bend was overrated. It has a few holes through the woods and then a giant top of the world on this huge hill. The rest of the course was built to accommodate maybe 7-9 holes. In other words half the (old) course were fillers. I haven't played the new design but I'm not optimistic for it unless Houck redesigned it or something. I gave the old layout a 4.5 (low 4.5 and I was being generous at the time/hadn't played enough courses yet to realize it was a low 4.0 actually) and most of that was for the top of the world.

Latest posts