• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

wolfhaley to the Carolinas. And Georgia (barely)

Good insight from MI, CO and MN. :\

Appreciate all you midwesterner's, and whatever Ray is considered at elevation;) for planning a Charlotte trip.

Shout's to David S. and Monocacy.

Booked and (semi) planned. Looking solid though.

So Mrs. wolf and I are flying for the first time for a roadtrip. The plan is to fly into Chalotte and immediately head south for a few days before heading back up to Charlotte to bag as much as possible there. 8 days of course bagging, 2 days getting there and back so 10 total. Suggestions and insight welcomed and appreciated.

Day 1: Minneapolis to Charlotte.

Day 2: Drive to Columbia SC
Canaan Sand Hills-(20)
Canaan Riverbend-(18)
Boyd Hill-(18)

Canaan is only open weekends so this is the play here for sure. Boyd over Winthrop because Boyd looks like the more fun course. Winthrop doesn't look that fun watching USDGC. I imagine it's actually much less fun in the offseason.

Day 3: Drive to Augusta GA
Stoney Hill-(36)
Langley Pond DiscGolfPark-(18)

This is the play.

Day 4: Back to Columbia
IDGC-Jim Warner-(18)
IDGC WR Jackson-(18)
IDGC Steady Ed-(18)

Again, obviously the play. May try to play Patriots Park if time and energy allow. That's just bonus.

Day 5: Drive to Charlotte
All-Terrain Disc Golf-(18)
Chester State Park-Advanced-(18)
Chester State Park-Rec.-(9)
Plantation Ruins @ Winget-(18)

Suggestions welcome here. Plantation Ruins looks like my kind of course, but I could probably play it later if need be. The other 3 look really good, well, two of the other three.

Day 6: Charlotte
Hornet's Nest Park-(18)
Nevin Park-(18)
Reedy Creek-(18)
Eastway DGC-(18)

The first two for sure. Reedy Creek sounds sneaky good. Eastway is if there's still energy.

Day 7: Charlotte
Kilborne TPC-(18)
The Scrapyard-(18)
Elon Park-Angry Beaver-(18)
Elon Park-Eager Beaver-(18)

Good/Bad? Elon Park for sure.

Day 8: Charlotte

Renny Gold-(18)
Robert L. Smith Park-(18)
Rankin Lake-(18)
Bradley Center DGC-(18)

Thoughts? Renny Gold is a must/have to play. Not sure if I should bother with the other two there or be better off with what I have listed. This seems like the play. I can be swayed with a good suggestion or two though :D

Day 9: Charlotte
Brackett's Bluff-(18) *hopefully, maybe*
Bradford Park-(18)
Bailey Road Park-(21)
Robbins Park-(18)

Day 10- Home to rest

I'm pretty excited about this one. Whether we can play all of these is questionable at best. Lots of courses I've had my eye on for awhile though. Two new states and should get me over 800 played. Solid start to 2023.
Wow, 800 ! Movin on up in a hurry!
Looks like a solid plan. My only critique would be making the hour drive east to Abermarle for Fox Chase and City Park instead of the Gastonia courses, if you are wanting a bit more variety and elevation.

Looks like a solid plan. My only critique would be making the hour drive east to Abermarle for Fox Chase and City Park instead of the Gastonia courses, if you are wanting a bit more variety and elevation.

i played fox chase and highly enjoyed it

That's what I was thinking as far as Boyd Hill over Winthrop. It'd be cool to say I "played" Winthrop Gold. But are you really playing Winthrop Gold in early April? Everything I've heard and read says no. If that's not the case I'd rather just play an actual, permanent course.

Contrary opinion perhaps but I loved playing the Winthrop Lakefront course. Not that it is a great track but for the experience. Watched so much USDGC coverage prior to that so kind of exhilarating for me to play around that pond. Didn't do the gold layout (I'm not sure the baskets were permanent in 2014?) so missed those boring holes across the road. No ropes or hay bales but I do remember making the triple mando on that bamboo fence hole with a buzzz...

i played fox chase and highly enjoyed it

Duly noted. Thanks for the tips. To be honest I didn't even look that far east after deciding on heading down to IDGC. Already booked hotels, but that doesn't necessarily rule these two out. I like the looks of them. :thmbup:

Duly noted. Thanks for the tips. To be honest I didn't even look that far east after deciding on heading down to IDGC. Already booked hotels, but that doesn't necessarily rule these two out. I like the looks of them. :thmbup:

if you do go over there you can stop at morrow mountain and drive to the top and get some awesome views

A couple of really fun SC short courses are; Crooked Creek in Chapin and Earlewood in Columbia if you are looking to replace All-terrain.

That is exactly what I picked to replace All-Terrain. Looked to be the best options left by Columbia. 👍

Crooked Creek is a nice wooded course. It's about 25 minutes from Stoney Hill, pretty much between us and Columbia, however that falls in your routing.

I love Earlewood, though it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's an old-school and well-worn course, with big trees and even bigger hills, but not much underbrush. It's also fairly convenient to get to for a downtown course,

I love Earlewood, though it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's an old-school and well-worn course, with big trees and even bigger hills, but not much underbrush. It's also fairly convenient to get to for a downtown course,

and dome tops!!!! Can't forget the dome tops.

Earlewood is probably my favorite truly "old school" course (under 5000 feet, every hole reachable or at least I could reach them all 20 years ago)

and dome tops!!!! Can't forget the dome tops.

Earlewood is probably my favorite truly "old school" course (under 5000 feet, every hole reachable or at least I could reach them all 20 years ago)

Was already planning on hitting this. I don't look at pictures too often when looking up courses to play. Reviews and ratings are the main factors. I like to go into a course as blind as possible if I can. "Dome tops" piqued my interest though, so I had to take sneak peek.

SOLD :clap:

I love playing the best of the best, but I'll play anything. Literally. I'm a sucker for old school style courses though. My home course has been around for 30 years now. The now RIPed 9er in town was as well. Earlewood sounds perfect.

I agree with Biscoe that, as old-school courses go, Earlewood ranks high. It helps that it has pretty serious elevation, not just to throw up and down but for dangerous pin placements, and a small creek on many holes.

Being old, it also has erosion issues, has lost some large trees over the years, and the Parks Dept has mucked with it a bit.

And the bonus that, in almost 30 years of playing there, I've never heard a debate as to whether a disc on top of the basket should count, or not.

All right, I think I have it sorted out now. Subject to change obviously.

3-26
Canaan Sand Hills DGC- (20)
Canaan Riverbend DGC- (18)
Chester State Park-Advanced- (18)
Chester State Park-Rec- (9)

3-27
Stoney Hill- (36)
Langley Pond- (18)
The Levee- (9)

3-28
IDGC- Jim Warner- (18)
IDGC- WR Jackson- (18)
IDGC- Steady Ed- (18)
Patriot's Park- (18)

3-29
Crooked Creek Park- Original- (18)
Crooked Creek Park- Pro 9- (9)
Earlewood Park- (18)
Dry Creek- (18)

3-30
Elon Park- Eager Beaver- (18)
Elon Park- Angry Beaver- (18)
The Scrapyard- (18)
Kilborne TPC- (18)

3-31
Fox Chase- (18)
City Lake Park DGC- (18)
Reedy Creek Park- (18)

4-1
Hornet's Nest Park- (18)
Nevin Park- (18)
Eastway DGC- (18)
Robert L. Smith Park- (18)

4-2
Renny Gold- (18)
Plantation Ruins- (18)
Goat Island- (18)

Patriot's Park, Goat Island and Dry Creek are bonus courses. Should be able to get them all in though. We get up and bag courses until we're too tired :D. I think it looks pretty solid. May substitute Bradley Center or Rankin over Goat Island depending on conditions. That or play Robert Smith or something else we didn't manage to get to for whatever reason. Now we wait...

A couple of really fun SC short courses are; Crooked Creek in Chapin and Earlewood in Columbia if you are looking to replace All-terrain.

And either one could result in a Beaver sighting. [emoji106][emoji23][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spitballing here...

Eastway and Kilbourne are only like a mile or two from each other. Might consider lumping those into the same day. Especially with Nest, Nevin, and RL Smith on the docket. Those three will absolutely be enough for one day. I promise. :D

You could then slide Plantation Ruins onto your Elon/Scrapyard run. Might be a little easier to manage that - spoken as someone who crams all of these into daily two- and three-fers all the time...

Just spitballing here...

Eastway and Kilbourne are only like a mile or two from each other. Might consider lumping those into the same day. Especially with Nest, Nevin, and RL Smith on the docket. Those three will absolutely be enough for one day. I promise. :D

You could then slide Plantation Ruins onto your Elon/Scrapyard run. Might be a little easier to manage that - spoken as someone who crams all of these into daily two- and three-fers all the time...

Appreciate the local insight :clap:

I remember seeing somewhere that you're a big Plantation Ruins fan, elmex doubled down on that being a must play too.

Is there anything else you'd maybe sub in over something I already have listed? Keep in mind that I have limited time there. How do you think Goat Island would be looking in early April too? Sounds interesting but opinions are all over the board with that one. Again, greatly appreciate your response. :hfive:

I really like Goat Island, but if there's any kind of spring rains happening, it will be half underwater. It's a super-fun track, though. So if it's wet, I might bump it to hit Bradley Center, which is not much further away, and holds its water better. AND it's fun. Less chance of losing a disc, too...

All right, I think I have it sorted out now. Subject to change obviously.

3-26
Canaan Sand Hills DGC- (20)
Canaan Riverbend DGC- (18)
Chester State Park-Advanced- (18)
Chester State Park-Rec- (9)

3-27
Stoney Hill- (36)
Langley Pond- (18)
The Levee- (9)

3-28
IDGC- Jim Warner- (18)
IDGC- WR Jackson- (18)
IDGC- Steady Ed- (18)
Patriot's Park- (18)

3-29
Crooked Creek Park- Original- (18)
Crooked Creek Park- Pro 9- (9)
Earlewood Park- (18)
Dry Creek- (18)

3-30
Elon Park- Eager Beaver- (18)
Elon Park- Angry Beaver- (18)
The Scrapyard- (18)
Kilborne TPC- (18)

3-31
Fox Chase- (18)
City Lake Park DGC- (18)
Reedy Creek Park- (18)

4-1
Hornet's Nest Park- (18)
Nevin Park- (18)
Eastway DGC- (18)
Robert L. Smith Park- (18)

4-2
Renny Gold- (18)
Plantation Ruins- (18)
Goat Island- (18)

Patriot's Park, Goat Island and Dry Creek are bonus courses. Should be able to get them all in though. We get up and bag courses until we're too tired :D. I think it looks pretty solid. May substitute Bradley Center or Rankin over Goat Island depending on conditions. That or play Robert Smith or something else we didn't manage to get to for whatever reason. Now we wait...

Are you still on schedule?

Latest posts