• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Great Midwestern tour

Whiteford has probably surpassed Vienna as the top course near Toledo. It definitely shows its youth though, needs to be worn in a little more IMO.

I may burn a day of PTO for your return trip

Days 1-6: Maryland to Chippewa Falls

Adler Park (3.22) 9
Fairfield Park (4.58) 18
Johnson Park (3.36) 20
Fox River – Red Fox (2.82) 9
Fox River – Grey Fox (4.05) 18
Silver Fox (4.24) 18

This part of your trip is in my neck of the woods. Hit me up if you want a guide for a round or 2. :thmbup:

100%. Lincoln Park is not worth your time on a long road trip. However, Johnson Park in Racine would be a good stop in the southeast corner of WI.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out Johnson Park.

This part of your trip is in my neck of the woods. Hit me up if you want a guide for a round or 2. :thmbup:

Awesome!

Looks like the northern or southern routes across the UP are roughly equal. Any recommendations on courses around Gladstone or Iron Mountain?

Played the southern route stuff this past year...

Keyes is awesome and always improving. Has a great group of folks maintaining things yoop there. Better than Dgcr rating. Beautiful Ski Hill views, good design, with a Lake and swim beach

Iron Mountain is a Really fun course, and the least physically demanding, for the southern route goodies

The Tailings is Unique, Fun, and has concrete short pads now. But you'd want a guide with.
Superberry designed this, along with the Marquette stuff (not sure about the new one up there) but Powder is also a pretty Cool Unique property for DG.

-----

Either route has a private course option, also

-----

From the Marinette discers I've talked to, it sound like the Gladstone stuff is neglected

Last edited:
Played the southern route stuff this past year...

Keyes is awesome and always improving. Has a great group of folks maintaining things yoop there. Better than Dgcr rating. Beautiful Ski Hill views, good design, with a Lake and swim beach

I greatly appreciate the recommendation. Thanks!

Iron Mountain is a Really fun course, and the least physically demanding, for the southern route goodies

Good to have options. "Least physically demanding" might be the most important criteria at that point of the trip. :rolleyes:

The Tailings is Unique, Fun, and has concrete short pads now. But you'd want a guide with.
Superberry designed this, along with the Marquette stuff (not sure about the new one up there) but Powder is also a pretty Cool Unique property for DG.

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to post your experiences and recommendations. Much appreciated!

100%. Lincoln Park is not worth your time on a long road trip. However, Johnson Park in Racine would be a good stop in the southeast corner of WI.

As if you need any more input from me, but jasonc is very correct here. I'll admit it's been a few years since I played Johnson Park, it is (was) much better than the reviews on here give it credit for. I've played it 3 or 4 times. Not too far off of I-94 and plays in a pretty secluded area of the park.

I'd still say that the 3 foxes in Kenosha are must plays. Well, at least the Silver and Grey. But you might as well hit up the Red Fox since it's in the same park as the Grey. But Johnson Park is damn good too. Don't let the ratings fool you.

That's all I have to add...for now :D

If there's a way for you to fit in Vallarta-Ast (Token Creek) when you're near Wilderness (it's less than 30 minutes away) and Sandy Point when you're headed to Highbridge, they are worth the stop.

Message me on your way by Madison, depending on the weekend I might be available to play Wilderness (due to my son playing travel hockey this spring). I love that course, it's in my Wisconsin top5.

As if you need any more input from me, but jasonc is very correct here. I'll admit it's been a few years since I played Johnson Park, it is (was) much better than the reviews on here give it credit for. I've played it 3 or 4 times. Not too far off of I-94 and plays in a pretty secluded area of the park.

Sounds like there is a strong consensus against playing Lincoln Park. Johnson Park adds a little extra driving, but that should be a low-travel day. Thanks to both of you for the local knowledge!

I'd still say that the 3 foxes in Kenosha are must plays. Well, at least the Silver and Grey. But you might as well hit up the Red Fox since it's in the same park as the Grey. But Johnson Park is damn good too. Don't let the ratings fool you.

I love playing a 9-hole course as warm-up for bigger courses, especially when the niner is right in the same park. :)

As I mentioned in the first post, the main limiting factor for me is how many holes per day my janky foot will tolerate. I know that I can play two 18-hole courses per day for several days in a row. I also know that going too far beyond that is a problem. So I need to strike a balance between what I'd like to do ("play the mall!") and what I can do sustainably.

Getting old and creaky has its disadvantages, but as they say, beats the alternative. :D

If there's a way for you to fit in Vallarta-Ast (Token Creek) when you're near Wilderness (it's less than 30 minutes away) and Sandy Point when you're headed to Highbridge, they are worth the stop.

Thanks for the recommendations! We have relatives in Madison so I expect to be out that way again. Looks like one could take a day or three playing courses around there.

Sandy Point looks like a blast. That is the part of the trip where the schedule gets tight, unless I get smart and retire beforehand. ;)

Message me on your way by Madison, depending on the weekend I might be available to play Wilderness (due to my son playing travel hockey this spring). I love that course, it's in my Wisconsin top5.

Excellent! Right now it looks like Wilderness may fall on a Thursday.

You won't be too far from me.

About an hour off of your proposed route (south of eau claire) you could stop by for a visit. I run an air bnb, so there could be a room available. I have a fun heavily wooded course (bald/golden eagle) - summer isn't great though, bugs and kids.

I also have one of the most epic courses in the country.

Just a heads up on the Canyons. That course has always gotten a ton of traffic and it's only increased as they've improved it over the years. On a weekend or weekday late afternoon/evening expect a slooow round.

You won't be too far from me.

About an hour off of your proposed route (south of eau claire) you could stop by for a visit. I run an air bnb, so there could be a room available. I have a fun heavily wooded course (bald/golden eagle) - summer isn't great though, bugs and kids.

I also have one of the most epic courses in the country.

Oh man - your courses look fabulous!

Kills me to say so, but I'm not sure I can squeeze them into this trip. I do want to make a future MSP to Chippewa Falls run, and it looks like your courses would fit nicely into that route.

What would you say is the best time of year to play?

Just a heads up on the Canyons. That course has always gotten a ton of traffic and it's only increased as they've improved it over the years. On a weekend or weekday late afternoon/evening expect a slooow round.

Thanks for the tip, greatly appreciated!

Looks like The Canyons might be a weekday afternoon at this point. Should be the last round of the day so if it is congested, so be it. I'll still be on vacation. :D

Days 1-6: Maryland to Chippewa Falls

Central Assembly of God (3.33) 9
Knobley Mountain (2.17) 9
No Boundary – Learn to Play (3.38) 6
No Boundary – Main (4.20) 18
Mastodon DGC (4.25) 18 = New state! (Indiana)
Lucerne Park (2.75) 9
The Canyons (4.49) 27 = New state! (Illinois)
Adler Park (3.22) 9
Fairfield Park (4.58) 18
Lincoln Park (3.19) 18
Fox River – Red Fox (2.82) 9
Fox River – Grey Fox (4.05) 18
Silver Fox (4.24) 18
Wilderness (4.60) 18
McDill Pond (2.62) 9
Yulga Park (3.89) 18

If you're looking to stretch your legs in Ohio, you could stop at The Woodsman (Ontario) or Aumiller Park (Bucyrus). They're both just off US 30, about at the halfway point of that drive, and fit your wooded with a bit of elevation preferences.

The front 9 at Aumiller would play pretty quickly if you're short on time.
The Woodsman is a little longer and would be my recommendation if you're looking for 18 holes.

If you're looking to stretch your legs in Ohio, you could stop at The Woodsman (Ontario) or Aumiller Park (Bucyrus). They're both just off US 30, about at the halfway point of that drive, and fit your wooded with a bit of elevation preferences.

The front 9 at Aumiller would play pretty quickly if you're short on time.
The Woodsman is a little longer and would be my recommendation if you're looking for 18 holes.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will check those courses out.

North Boundary in Cranberry is a phenomenal course. All the little things done right, and the big ones, too. Very long, very hilly, and every bit as good as Moraine or Deer Lakes, but plan on a bit of scouting ahead to spot baskets.

Quick heads up: the Learn to Play course is a good 1/2 mile from the main course, and doesn't even use the same parking lot. Logistically, it'd be easy enough to play the LTP course as a quick six hole loop between Main #'s 6 & 7... but you'll be enjoying the main course too much to stop and throw nothing but putters for six holes. :D

Main course = yellow baskets
LTP = red baskets

Last edited:
North Boundary in Cranberry is a phenomenal course. All the little things done right, and the big ones, too. Very long, very hilly, and every bit as good as Moraine or Deer Lakes, but plan on a bit of scouting ahead to spot baskets.

Oh you do not need to sell me on NoBo, I have been looking for an excuse to play that for a while. I hope to have a local guide or three but we shall see how that shakes out.

Loved Moraine and Deer Lakes when I played them, along with the other courses from 2015 Worlds. Knob Hill is pretty dang fun, and Schenley is a nice city course. Slippery Rock, meh.

Quick heads up: the Learn to Play course is a good 1/2 mile from the main course, and doesn't even use the same parking lot.

Appreciate the tips, Bogey! Plan is to warm up on Learn-to-Play before hitting the main course. If it makes sense to move the car between courses, so be it. :D