• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Great Midwestern tour

Not at all likely I'll be able to join you. :(

Sorry to miss you, Bogey! Let me know next time you are out this way, maybe Biscoe's Cacapon SP course will be up and running by then. :)

I think you'll really enjoy playing a mix of short tee to long pins, and long tee to short pins on Devil's Den. Short to short is a bit too, easy, and long to long is for the big boyz.

You could easily play two different layouts on that, plus River's Edge, and not be bored over 3 rounds.

< ----- Furiously taking notes. This is super-helpful, especially since you have seen my non-pro abilities. :rolleyes:

Def recommend bug spray for rivers edge.

How the whole trip goes well for you!

Bug spray, check. Thanks for the advice, Bogey! :thmbup:

A little more food for thought......since you're heading to the area there is also the option for Pine Hills instead. Having a golf cart to truck around in just might be the ticket to keep you going since you're at the end of the trip. Likely it will be less buggy, and it's such a sweet property. Two fantastic courses and the course designer is a disc golfer so the courses wind through the woods and isn't just a wide open bomber fest. Worth giving it a look. It's on a ball golf course so expect grass and turf pads, but the holes are awesome.

And second, since you're coming through, you do know the Toboggan will be open, with cement pads and a redesign, and on a weekday morning will definitely not be busy.

A little more food for thought......since you're heading to the area there is also the option for Pine Hills instead. Having a golf cart to truck around in just might be the ticket to keep you going since you're at the end of the trip. Likely it will be less buggy, and it's such a sweet property. Two fantastic courses and the course designer is a disc golfer so the courses wind through the woods and isn't just a wide open bomber fest. Worth giving it a look. It's on a ball golf course so expect grass and turf pads, but the holes are awesome.

Pine Hills does look fun, and as you said golf carts might be much appreciated late in the trip. Thanks for the recommendation! I will have the dog with me, though, and unfortunately the Pine Hills - South course says "no pets" (but not the North course, strangely).

And second, since you're coming through, you do know the Toboggan will be open, with cement pads and a redesign, and on a weekday morning will definitely not be busy.

Oh man, Toboggan is on my list. Not sure I'll be able to play it this trip, but my cousin lives between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo so I hope to be back. Looks like the Detroit area could keep a person busy throwing Frisbees for a while. :)

There is still an outside chance that I can retire before this trip. If that happens, I would have no time constraints. :D

Monocacy's 1st World problems: so many courses, so little time. :)

:hfive:

It's possible baskets on Toboggan will be pulled by time you get here in Aug. Toboggan season typically starts just after Memorial Day, and is officially book ended by:

USADGC... https://www.usadgc.com/ (Jun 11-13).
DGLO... https://dglo.net/ (Jul 23-25th)

Hard to say whether they'll pull them right after DGLO, or leave them in for longer. I've seen both happen, but I'd hate for you (or anyone) to plan on it and get screwed.

Will try to post more about when it will actually be available to play in the Michigan Course Updates thread https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47059

...but keep in mind, a round on that course, at that time of year, with those hills, is physically draining. Guys our age won't be playing a 2nd round that day.

Will try to post more about when it will actually be available to play in the Michigan Course Updates thread https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47059

I, and I am sure others, appreciate the updates on Toboggan and other Michigan courses. :thmbup:

...but keep in mind, a round on that course, at that time of year, with those hills, is physically draining. Guys our age won't be playing a 2nd round that day.

Oh I have no doubt that Toboggan is a workout. If a course looks steep on camera, it is probably brutal. I would probably play something short and easy before Toboggan and then call it a day. :rolleyes:

But Toboggan may have to wait for another trip.

Despite being a creaky old guy I have managed to stumble through multiple mountain courses for several days in a row. Carrying a light bag helps. Guess I'll find out whether lack of oxygen at elevation or muggy Midwest summer is the tougher challenge. ;)

Really, my main concern is my heel. Last time I over-stressed that it put me on very limited action for several months.

Despite being a creaky old guy I have managed to stumble through multiple mountain courses for several days in a row. Carrying a light bag helps. Guess I'll find out whether lack of oxygen at elevation or muggy Midwest summer is the tougher challenge. ;)

Really, my main concern is my heel. Last time I over-stressed that it put me on very limited action for several months.

Yeah Pine Hills is a ball golf course so no pets. Either way Burchfield is pretty awesome regardless. If you have a cart, Burchfield is ideal place for one, it's pretty flat for the most part outside of a few small hills.

I'm a big believer in carrying an umbrella for multiple round summer golf days. Once I started doing that I never went back. Really takes the sun beating off you.

Either way I'll check back in here periodically and see what you're up to.

Yeah Pine Hills is a ball golf course so no pets.

Makes sense, thanks!

Either way Burchfield is pretty awesome regardless. If you have a cart, Burchfield is ideal place for one, it's pretty flat for the most part outside of a few small hills.

No cart, just a small bag with 9-11 discs and 2 drink holders.

I'm a big believer in carrying an umbrella for multiple round summer golf days. Once I started doing that I never went back. Really takes the sun beating off you.

I use a wide-brimmed sun hat for the same reason. Also works as a rain hat, and can be stuffed into one of the drink holders if needed. But I prefer nice, shady wooded courses in the summer (winter, too). ;)

Either way I'll check back in here periodically and see what you're up to.

Excellent! Your local knowledge and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Is this still the plan? Yulga and McDill? I'm off work and ready if you are. :thmbup:

Yes, for Thursday 7/29 the plan is to hit Wilderness, McDill, and Yulga. Glad to hear you have the day off, and I'm looking forward to tossing with y'all again! :clap:

In other news I may be able to add a day or two to the back end of the trip, so I might be able to add a few Michigan courses. Same limitations as before - under the best circumstances my janky foot is good for about two 18-hole courses per day. Who knows whether I'll still be hobbling about after nearly 2 weeks of daily disc golf.

Unfortunately Kensington Toboggan will probably not be playable when I am in the area.

Thinking of adding these two on the drive south from Mackinaw City, and then hitting the two Burchfield courses on the way to Ann Arbor:

Deerfield Park - Original
Deerfield Park - Wildwood

For Ann Arbor courses, Hudson Mills looks nice. Not sure if I will be up for two 24-hole courses at that late stage of the trip, though. If I need to pick one, which would be best?

Hudson Mills - Monster
Hudson Mills - Original

Thanks again, I do appreciate everyone's suggestions!

In terms of Hudson, they are both a pretty chill and easier play from the short tees, but still somewhat challenging. Even par would be about 900ish golf. They're both flat, the monster is the slightly more challenging of the two courses.

The OG gets a little busier in the evenings and weekends, but if you're getting out there before noon you'll be fine. I'd recommend that one if you have to pick, it's a little less hairy in the shule and a little more easy to navigate and play for a first timer. If your foot is up for it, you could mix up shorts and longs like odd/even.

I forgot to mention Mono, both Hudson courses are 18 holes with 6 extra holes that are labeled A - F. They are their own loop that break off from the traditional 1 - 18 treck and are easily skipped if you're wanting to do that. Hence you could play 18 holes without missing a beat, if you want to try and squeeze both courses in and 36 holes seems like a more doable task at hand than 48.

Headed out there tomorrow with Ru4por, Future and another buddy and the weather looks gorgeous for all 48 holes, can't wait.

. . . The OG gets a little busier in the evenings and weekends, but if you're getting out there before noon you'll be fine. I'd recommend that one if you have to pick, it's a little less hairy in the shule and a little more easy to navigate and play for a first timer. If your foot is up for it, you could mix up shorts and longs like odd/even.

Should be a morning thing (vacation morning = whatever time I get going :rolleyes:).

Mixing shorts and longs sound fun. Thank you for the suggestions!

. . . Hence you could play 18 holes without missing a beat, if you want to try and squeeze both courses in and 36 holes seems like a more doable task at hand than 48.

Excellent advice, much appreciated!

Headed out there tomorrow with Ru4por, Future and another buddy and the weather looks gorgeous for all 48 holes, can't wait.

Sounds like a blast. :)

Knobley Mountain didn't work out this trip so I added Phillips Park and Amrock DGC to the itinerary. Starting with a bunch of short < 9-hole courses might not be the worst thing. :)

Amrock is the literal definition of warm up course. 😁

Played so far:

Central Assembly of God
Liberty Christian Fellowship
Phillips Park
No Boundary - Beginner
No Boundary - Main
Woodlands Park (thanks, ejvogie!)
Mastodon DGC (new state - IN)
The Canyons (new state - IL)
Central Park
Adler Park
Fairfield Park

Foxes tomorrow - Red, Gray, and Silver, I hope. Red Dog has been dragging in the heat, so we shall see.

What have been the highlights so far? The Foxes are so fun too, I'm jealous. Need to get back down there.

Foxes tomorrow - Red, Gray, and Silver, I hope. Red Dog has been dragging in the heat, so we shall see.

Fun day! My experience:

Gray - Entertaining and challenging, good variety. Back 9 is tighter than the front.

Silver - Watch out for the bumble, it's real!

Red - You'll get through a few holes, then Heavy Critters rolls up and catches your putter out of the air from the driver's seat of his Prius. Do not complete course, do not mark played.

Latest posts