• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help plan my Flip Trip!

rubz17

Hey all, I'm planning a trip from St. Louis to Flip City the first or second week of September. I've got a pretty good idea of the courses I want to play, but am open to other suggestions. Also, I plan to explore some sand dunes and light houses and I like cozy beach towns, so any other cool stuff around I'm all ears. Last, I'll be solo, I break camp at dawn or a little before and I play pretty quick, so I can cover a lot of ground in a day.

Thursday 2 PM: Leave St. Louis to Lemon Lake area to camp

Friday: Play LL Gold. I see EAB has wreaked havoc at LL. Should I play Red or Blue there, or head straight to Rogers Lakewood?
Play Rogers Lakewood.
Head to Saugatuck/Holland.
I'd like to leave a little time to explore the dunes at Saugatuck, or do something else cool around? Hopefully camp at Saugatuck.

Saturday: Play Shore Acres Park. Head to Flip. Play Flip twice and camp there.

Sunday: Head up to Ludington. Play a few of those courses, see the sights (what exactly are those sights???) and then head back and camp at Flip again (if possible).

Monday: Head to Breakers. Then head to South Haven to play Lake Arvesta. Head to Indiana Dunes NP (will it be too crowded if I get there mid afternoon?) Camp somewhere.

Tuesday: Head over to Joliet and play Highland Park and then Canyons. Head home a happy dude.

I added in Breakers on Monday because Lake Arvesta doesn't open til 10, so I have roughly two hours to kill. Better course around? Something cool to do?

'Preciate it

hopefully arvesta will be done by then

i played it recently and the unfinished "as is" product is lackluster

ill post a longer write up on that and other courses in the michigan courses section

i just got back from a similar trip like this so ill add a bit but i am open to questions

ll gold is hardly worthy it is pretty open now a days and is just kinda sad

call flip/bill first cuz last i heard bill said no to campers

what style camping are you plannin on doin

Tower Hill at Warren Dunes in Michigan is a great sand hill to visit on the beach.

Awesome, thank you.

Elmexdela: Just a little tent camping. Need a small fire pit and a place to park my truck. I'll keep a look out for your writeup, thanks. Is there another mini destination that you'd hit instead of Lemon Lakes?

Awesome, thank you.

Elmexdela: Just a little tent camping. Need a small fire pit and a place to park my truck. I'll keep a look out for your writeup, thanks. Is there another mini destination that you'd hit instead of Lemon Lakes?

so primitive/dispersed type correct

ll is mostly park style open

ll gold seems to have lost many trees over the years and plays pretty open despite being in the woods

no other complex but i would say bounce around courses along the coast

I wouldn't change anything about that trip. Looks solid all the way through it.

You're gonna run into the main problem of that there is no more camping at Flip City as of this year.

Warren Dunes > Any Dunes in Indiana. I would imagine the camping experience is better at Michigan State parks

Hit up Beauty and Beast in Ludington. Skip LL and go to Rodgers-Lakewood. Camp at Ludington State Park if you can get in. After playing Breakers and if you are looking to kill some time play Winstrom Park. Its a quirky little technical 18 holer that isn't hard to get to and plays pretty quick. If Arvesta is done it'll probably be ok but I would skip it in its current state and dedicate more time in the Ludington area or another round at Flip. Shore Acres is great and watch out for cactus.

You're gonna run into the main problem of that there is no more camping at Flip City as of this year.

No idea on why camping is over, but Bill's a saint for allowing it for so long. Even if almost everyone is respectful, there's bound to be the occasional db. The camping area was a few hundred feet from the house he lives in with his family.

Hey all, I'm planning a trip from St. Louis to Flip City the first or second week of September. I've got a pretty good idea of the courses I want to play, but am open to other suggestions. Also, I plan to explore some sand dunes and light houses and I like cozy beach towns, so any other cool stuff around I'm all ears. Last, I'll be solo, I break camp at dawn or a little before and I play pretty quick, so I can cover a lot of ground in a day.

Thursday 2 PM: Leave St. Louis to Lemon Lake area to camp

Friday: Play LL Gold. I see EAB has wreaked havoc at LL. Should I play Red or Blue there, or head straight to Rogers Lakewood?
Play Rogers Lakewood.
Head to Saugatuck/Holland.
I'd like to leave a little time to explore the dunes at Saugatuck, or do something else cool around? Hopefully camp at Saugatuck.

Saturday: Play Shore Acres Park. Head to Flip. Play Flip twice and camp there.

Sunday: Head up to Ludington. Play a few of those courses, see the sights (what exactly are those sights???) and then head back and camp at Flip again (if possible).

Monday: Head to Breakers. Then head to South Haven to play Lake Arvesta. Head to Indiana Dunes NP (will it be too crowded if I get there mid afternoon?) Camp somewhere.

Tuesday: Head over to Joliet and play Highland Park and then Canyons. Head home a happy dude.

I added in Breakers on Monday because Lake Arvesta doesn't open til 10, so I have roughly two hours to kill. Better course around? Something cool to do?

'Preciate it

Pretty good lineup. Good suggestions from others already so I'll quickly add:

LL is a shambles and a sad shadow of its former glory. If you go, hit up either Gold and White, or Gold and then book down to Rogers Lakewood, or skip LL altogether and hit RLW.

A sleeper fun 9er on the way if you're looking to stretch your legs is the Redeemed By Grace DGC, some pretty fun elevation for shorter course.

Lake Arvesta Farms is probably strictly better than Lemon Lake Gold, but more of a hassle to get through the gate and onto the field. I just hit it and SHARA DGC pairs well with it as an a.m. warm-up prior to the open of Arvesta, (vs say, Breakers).

Warren Dunes is the shizz. Ludington Area is the shizzz, but Mason County is the place to be for camping, right across the street from the MaCo courses....don't forget to hit Goliath, which is the Beast layout backwards (more or less)...definitely worth it!

Last edited:
Oh also, in Ludington, you gotta obv hit MaCo courses, Leviathan's new layout (!), and Pere Marquette Expeditions store! It's on the way between the courses and has all kinds of cool outdoor and discing paraphernalia. :thmbup:

Also Canyons > Highland any day, but will almost always be the more crowded course, so plan accordingly! Trinity and/or West Park make good extra 18-hole courses in the area, in case you have time or have to call an audible.

Last edited:
Also, I love the MaCo courses but I think Arvesta is stricly better than all of them individually, too.

Not sure why dave's so butthurt over Arvesta, lulz, I thought it was amazing golf. Just a pain to get through the waterpark/registration area initially, after that it's pretty secluded from the rest of the activities.

Also, I love the MaCo courses but I think Arvesta is stricly better than all of them individually, too.

Not sure why dave's so butthurt over Arvesta, lulz, I thought it was amazing golf. Just a pain to get through the waterpark/registration area initially, after that it's pretty secluded from the rest of the activities.

When I played I was charged $10. No tee pads, no real signs and 18 and 1 are stupid. Therefore my rating reflected the condition it was in at the time. ;)

NO BUTTHURTZ HUR BRUH JUST SPITTIN TRUTHS

:D

arvesta sucks

i give that course 5-10 years before they pull the plug/let it slip into disrepair

its not goin to be popular outside of big armed tournies

its vq vibes are too strong

I wouldn't say it sucks but I would give it 5 to 10 years at best as well. But you're right, outside of people who can toss 450 regularly it's just not going to be an appealing course IMHO...that and I'm a little frustrated with Arvesta in the first place because it was pitched to me as a "family friendly" from the very get go. A place that is going to appeal to disc golfers at every level - even kids and families. My feedback from the very get go was this is not possible and well...I was clearly ignored. Oh well. They'll learn the hard way I guess.

I'll be heading up the west coast of the LP in a couple of weeks here. Was considering Arvesta, but I think I'm going to skip it this time. My wife and kids have played some really challenging courses, but we need to take it easy this time. My 7 year old broke his right arm on Sunday (he's a righty). He's not phased and is already bugging me to help him learn to throw lefty.

He didn't throw much more than 100' tops with his dominant hand, so a course like Arvesta would be pushing it in the best of circumstances. These aren't those.

Tinderbox is a for sure. That looks perfect for our group. Whitehall sounds good too. We'll definitely be hitting up Whiskey Hills as I hear this might be the last season for dg there and I've never played it.

I'll be heading up the west coast of the LP in a couple of weeks here. Was considering Arvesta, but I think I'm going to skip it this time. My wife and kids have played some really challenging courses, but we need to take it easy this time. My 7 year old broke his right arm on Sunday (he's a righty). He's not phased and is already bugging me to help him learn to throw lefty.

He didn't throw much more than 100' tops with his dominant hand, so a course like Arvesta would be pushing it in the best of circumstances. These aren't those.

Tinderbox is a for sure. That looks perfect for our group. Whitehall sounds good too. We'll definitely be hitting up Whiskey Hills as I hear this might be the last season for dg there and I've never played it.

all those were awesome

As a resident here and as a *cough cough* disc golfer, I recommend VISITING the State Park but def stay somewhere else that's less chaotic. HIGHLY suggest the Mason County Campground. It's right down the road from Beauty, Goliath, Beast and as of this year has a course built right in the campground:

https://udisc.com/courses/the-tinderbox-BAc8

https://www.facebook.com/masoncountycampground

Second the visit Ludington SP, but camp elsewhere. There is a nice beach there too.

Latest posts