• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Detroit Metro Help

EspressoPatronum

2.6K Cubic Zirconia Lifer
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So there are lots of good courses in the Detroit metro - but it seems like every one I look into is in a state or county park that you have to pay to access, and they don't open until 8 or 8:30 AM. I have zero problem paying, but am going to be heading up very early in the morning on my way to Canada and don't want to get to one part of metro detroit (pretty wide net, as far out as Lansing and similar places) only to find a locked gate. I also don't know if some of these parks (Burchfield, etc.) are never locked and just don't collect parking fees until an attendant is there at 8.

Does anyone have suggestions for a great (or even good) course in this area I could start playing at first light? I am going from Ft. Wayne up past Detroit and eventually to Armada, MI and then on to Canada. I'm willing to go out of my way, as I was originally planning to go to Burchfield Park, but I'm struggling to find a replacement. I probably only have time for 1-2 courses.

I'm going with the presumption you'll be coming up US-24 to Toledo and taking I-75 North.

Jacket Woods in Defiance is a new 18, and pretty good. Palmer Park in Detroit proper is also a good 18.

If you're going up I-69 to I-94, There's Ella Sharp in Jackson, the 2 Lakeshore courses (Ponds and Woods), and Mary Beth Doyle.

Anything more Northeast from there I haven't played except for Stoney, which is gated AFAIK

Check the park websites for hours of operation.

Actually.....Toboggan, in Kensington Metropark, is probably the best answers. Park opens at 6am and this is the best course in Michigan. Not a great course to play by yourself though.

Latest posts