• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good Disc to Teach Good Form

JonCatch

Bogey Member
Hey guys,

I've been playing regularly for about 6 months now and I'm really trying to get my form solid. On a good day, I can get my Champion Beast out about 300' but I'm very inconsistent. I know that my form is the problem and I'm wondering if there are any good discs that really force you to have good form. I'm addicted to "buying and trying".

Currently in my bag:

175 Pro Katana
158 Blizzard Champion Katana
165 Champion Beast
148 Star Eagle-X
150 Champion Leopard
175 Beat DX Cheetah
165 Beat DX Shark
170 Champion Roc3
174 Banger GT Putter

I hardly ever use my Katanas since I can't throw them any better than my Eagle - I'm just not there yet. I've recently payed a lot of attention to throwing with my weight off my front foot and it has dramatically improved my game. But I still have trouble with the release timing, hyzer, OAT, etc. Are there any discs, in my bag or not, that would help me refine my throwing techniques.

And I guess while were here, any comments on the bag I've got?

Any and all suggestions are welcome! TIA.

Comet or Fuse and any neutral putter. Throw them often. Do field work and play rounds with only those discs. You will not only strengthen your short game, you will improve your form. Go read the technique sticky's and the disc down thread. Good luck.

Comet. I like Z but X is better for form. Maybe a Meteor if you don't like the bead. Get either one to 275' or 300' before switching to your Leopard or River.

I am a big proponent of perfecting your form THEN working on from there. Find an understable mid or putter (buzz ss, element, magic, ect.) and do some field work with that. As soon as you're comfortable with being able to throw understable discs with a little hyzerflip, or completely flat without it turning and burning you can move to more stable plastic.

I have the fortunate ability to throw 450+ and I definitely account that to good timing and form. A lot of long arms I play with can crush destroyers, d1s, and other stable drivers, but really struggle with getting consistency out of katanas, vulcans, or understable discs. Distance will come with practice, but if you can't throw understable discs I feel like you are going to hit a brick wall in your game as well as distance.

Dont worry about your distance. Concentrate on form and function. Sloppydisc said something that I like to do from time to time to make sure my form stays correct throughout the season. Play with one mid and one putter for an entire round. My short game has improved each and every time I played with only 2 discs. My drives are only 300-350 but my short game and putting is strong enough to make up for the distance I lack in my drives. I play with a friend that out drives me by 50 feet almost ever time but I beat him by 5-6 points every game. Drive for show putt for dough!

Another vote for the Comet. My buddy Fishy throws them and I noticed just how much it cleaned up his form in only about a month. You already have a Leo which is a great begginer disc. Work on getting that one perfected and your drives will get longer. Comet will help your short game as well as your accuracy.

You're on the right track already, which is more than can be said for newer players. Certainly better than when I first started when I would just try to rip everything as hard as I could without a care about form. Keep it up!

It doesn't get much better than that.

^^ Not sure if that is sarcasm or not. lol

Thanks for all the advice guys. I was thinking about picking up a stingray as my understable mid. Is the comet that much better/different? Just based on this thread, I'm leaning toward the comet now. I've been a sucker for innova discs because the flight ratings are so easy to understand.

^^ Not sure if that is sarcasm or not. lol

Thanks for all the advice guys. I was thinking about picking up a stingray as my understable mid. Is the comet that much better/different? Just based on this thread, I'm leaning toward the comet now. I've been a sucker for innova discs because the flight ratings are so easy to understand.

I don't think he's being sarcastic. That would be a good lineup for you to work on your form with. Get those discs to fly far and you're well on your way to clean form.

As for the Comet, I think it's one of greatest molds ever. It will help you clean up your form, then it will help you dominate the course. But a Stingray will work fine for your form too, as would a beat Shark. If you want to buy a new disc, go with an X Comet. Otherwise, the Stingray or your Shark and Banger Combo might be all you need right now.

The leopard has really fixed my OAT issues this past year. I started throwing it, and couldn't throw it worth a crap. Then learned to throw it and couldn't throw my other discs worth a crap. Now I've finally gotten my other discs back up to speed (still a bit short of my previous distance, but accuracy is WAY up. Now just gotta push the D back up)

At first they turned and burned instantly. Then i figured it out, smoothed everything out across the board.

So, I'm gonna go out and buy a comet today. Should I really stick with just the comet and putter or can i work my leopard in for my drives? I know I'm practicing, but I still don't like my score to take a huge dive.

Any problem if i practice with all 3?

FYI, Comets feel like a Roc in the hand. Deeper and bigger rimmed than some people like. I could never get comfortable with one. Fondle one first if you can. If it really bothers you try a Fuse or other neutral mid.

I have a roc3 which I also found to be very wide rimmed. I'm trying to force myself to get used to it, but it is different than I'm used to. If I have the Roc3, is it worthwhile to buy the comet?

I have no clue. I have never thrown a Roc3. My guess is that a Comet is much more neutral, and still worth your time if the rim doesn't bother you.

No sarcasm, it's an almost ideal set of discs with which to learn. You can buy different discs, but there's little chance an of them will be noticeably better at helping learn how to throw.

I don't throw the Cheetah too often but I'm usually decent - I occasionally turn and burn it. But the shark - Oh my! It always comes out of the hand wobbly and I'm only moderately accurate if I put a hyzer on it. If I throw it flat, who knows where its going.

Get an ultrastar for <$10 and find someone to throw with.

I don't really agree with this. Lids are far more understable than any golf disc and I think you would end up hurting form as much as overstable golf disc do. Not a slam against the lid, grew up with them and still toss them around, but the throw is vastly different for me.

I don't throw the Cheetah too often but I'm usually decent - I occasionally turn and burn it. But the shark - Oh my! It always comes out of the hand wobbly and I'm only moderately accurate if I put a hyzer on it. If I throw it flat, who knows where its going.
I sounds like you have some OAT to take care of. My guess is you've been throwing the faster discs the most. All three of those discs are very controllable if you throw them correctly.

Latest posts