• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Got My Girlfriend into Disc Golf, Some Questions

Odaon

Hey,
I took my GF out to a woody 9 hole course for her first DG experience. I gave her a Rhyno to use and she actually played quite well usually getting 3 to 4 on the full Par 3 course. I was pretty amazed. She said she liked it and wanted to play more. My question is what would be a good disc to get her instead of a Rhyno. Of course she'll probably still use the Rhyno but I'd like to get her a driver to start practicing with. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

My girl crushes a 150 Leopard, it's her best disc as far as distance. She also has a Buzz, not sure the weight but it's on the lighter side. She's been playing for like 3 years and has tried just about everything, and lately the Leopard is been used on 90% of her drives.

My girlfriend likes the light Tye-Dyed X Xpress in lighter weights, she also has a Buzz for upshots and shorter drives thats on the lighter side. She started turn the xpress over, so I got her an XL. Just remember plastic that you would never want to be cought with is her favorite disc. Get it in her favorite color too.

One of the gals I play with uses a 150 XL, crushes it, and her Buzzz of choice is a 162 Pro D.

I also got my girl to play.

Her favorites are lightweight sidewinders, coyotes and aviar putters. She also has a 150 xl she really likes.

My wife uses a pink see-thru champ sidewinder 150g, and can throw it about 225-250 on a good throw.

150 Class Gazelle is always perfect for women players. My lady has been playing for ~6 months and her best throws are always the Gazelles. The DX Gazelles get beat up too fast, so I found a special run champ version for $20 and bought it for her. Soon she'll be throwing 200'+ consistently, so I also got her a 150 Champ Teebird so that she also has a stable disc in her bag to change things up on her drives. She has also enjoyed throwing the XD, Z-Glide, and Stratus. The Stratus is a bit more versatile and controllable at low speeds, so she can learn how to put it on anhyzer, flat, and hyzer lines fairly easily without a lot of power.

So for a new lady player, I would suggest: get a Magnet putter or something similar that is very straight and flat at low speeds, a Stratus, and a Gazelle. Also get her a smaller lightweight bag for her discs (no large tournament-sized bags...they are too heavy and bulky for most women to comfortably carry). This will make her feel more like an independent player, that she is not just doing it to hang out with you, and her love of the game can then really take off (the benefits to you need not be mentioned).

kaht said:
My wife uses a pink see-thru champ sidewinder 150g, and can throw it about 225-250 on a good throw.

Cool. Sounds like she has been playing for a while.

I wouldn't recommend the Sidewinder (or any distance driver, for that matter) for a beginning lady player. She won't be throwing more than 100-150 ft to begin (and that might be generous, only if she has already learned nose down, etc.), and the Sidewinder doesn't really start to gel until 225-250 ft distances are achieved. At that point, get a Sidewinder or Roadrunner or XL or similar disc.

The danger is that she won't enjoy throwing a disc she can't control. Women are wired differently this way: they will quickly lose interest. So take control early on and don't put plastic in her hand that she cannot use properly and enjoy.

Not sure where to put this so I'll put it here.

I ran into a couple the other day at the course - both newbies. The guy was really bad, nose up 75 foot drives. But the girl really had some talent. She wasn't really good, but she could throw flat and had decent snap. She outdrove him most of the time. It was odd.

J-Man said:
One of the gals I play with uses a 150 XL, crushes it, and her Buzzz of choice is a 162 Pro D.
OK, switch that 150 XL to a 170 DX Leopard ... women

Latest posts