• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gotta be stolen...no?

brokenfixed

Par Member
Was just looking on ebay for a basket and came accross this
f9fa_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Discraft-Chains...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Looks like the guy just took the basket and chains off the pole from a local course and is just selling it without the pole. Hes got 2 for sale, maybe we should look into the local area and see if any baskets were stolen and pin this guy (pun intended)

Yes it does look that way. I'm all for nabbing the guy how would you find who he is or if they were stolen? Looking suspicious doesn't mean guilty.

just ask the guy...

that's what i'm gonna do right now...i'm expecting a lie in return, but maybe he's a dumbass and will reply with the park that he "found" them in...maybe not

Does anyone know any club members or officials in the Local Littleton Disc Golf Club? They would be able to tell you i any of the baskets had been stolen or if perhaps those portions of the baskets were donated to this person for some reason.

this is the reply i got from the seller: I asked nice chains and basket, but where's the original pole?

"My ex-boyfriend bought them when he helped set up a private course a few years ago. The post was cemented into the yard of the house we bought together, but we left them when we seperated and sold the house."

same reply..
"These are not stolen. My ex-boyfriend bought them a few years ago when he helped set up a private course"

you're absolutely right, assuming makes an ass out of you and me, but it just seems odd to have "real" baskets that are missing the pole...i've never seen that before, but i have seen only the pole with the basket and chains stripped off before...it was a sad sight. I apologize for my assumption.

It's pretty common...need some quick cash? Go to a park with some baskets that are a few years old...the bolts will be old and rusty, so a couple of good hard twists should bust them...slide the attachments off and throw them in your car, take them home, slide them on a pipe you have around the house, snap a picture and sell it on ebay! You see it all the time. Any basket that is on a different pole or has a number on it so it looks like it was part of a course is automatically suspicious.

If I actually DID have a basket I'd never put it on ebay, because the minute you do people start calling all the parks near you with courses asking if a basket has been stolen recently, you get reported to ebay, and you are basically guilty until proven innocent. Which unless you have a receipt you can't do. No thanks.

I figure in a few years the Gateway Titans will start popping up like this. The sleeves for the attachments have a larger diameter than the pole they mount them on, so there is a gap where water can get in and rust those bolts away. After a couple of years the bolts will snap like a twig.

Wouldn't it be more practical to sell them to a scrap metal dealer?

No one here has said these "are stolen". But seeing course baskets on Ebay has almost always been a sign of hijinx. Due diligence may prove them not, in which case more power to the seller.

Has anyone found any courses in the Littleton, CO area with missing baskets? Or are we still just assuming?

Nothing wrong with being a little suspicious hear and there. If I was gonna steal some baskets I'd only have to take the 2 bolts off, I wouldnt mess with the whole pole. On the other hand, if you got them set up somewhere you wouldnt be selling the pole on ebay.

I just think that its a bit strange that the guy would take the time to build that pvc stand. Honestly if youre taking them down off a private course which you did all the work cementing them in the ground, why would you make a pvc stand to sell them?

Cause he wanted to move them around?...sure thing thats makes sense too

At least we're all asking questions, thats how you stay informed. I just went and did a search to the courses around littleton, CO and PM'd 2 people that wrote reviews in that area, and then did a member search and PM'd 2 more people. Ive done my job, im not gonna call the parks dept. or anything. Its not MY local course. But still if everyone went out and stole the baskets, the parks wouldnt be putting them back in, and then we cant play.

User "McMarkD" just got back to me...

"The only basket I know that is missing is at lighthouse.I haven't played there in a while. Also, they just shut down a course for a light rail expansion... Also, there is a temporary course set up in bailey for a tournament last week. I used to date the lady in charge, and I will see her today. I can ask her. But I really have no knowledge. I will pass the word on to the guy at badco discs. He would know more about the missing baskets."

User "punkfan55" just got back to me with this interesting information....

"Actually the course I play is missing number 5. We have had a lot of problems with teenagers steeling this one particular basket. They even completely dug it up last time. I wonder what we can do to get it back.

This is the course we have a basket missing on.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=313

Thanks

-Brad Crossman"

To which I wrote:

"Brad the balls in your court, you got a guy selling 2 baskets on ebay at the link I provided. If you wanna take it to him, go for it. This guys possibly stealing YOUR baskets from YOUR community. I guess contacting a parks service worker would be in order. They could consult ebay and so on. It seems pretty suspicious that you have people stealing baskets and theyre selling them on ebay without the pole or anything. Good luck, and keep the thread informed."

David Lorenz Park Missing Hold #5

I live in Littleton, CO and we are missing hole number 5. I will see if I can contact someone locally about this. Thanks for the heads up guys.

-Brad

Latest posts