• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Graduated Tees For Kids, Input Needed

I need some input! We are hosting a Big/Little Doubles tournament this Saturday...one player 18+ and one under 18. We are going to split the youth partners into age groups and allow them to tee from advanced positions based on their age. Does anybody have an idea of how far kids in each age range should be able to throw? We are trying to even out the advantage that a 17 year old would have over a 9 year old...

My idea for splitting the age groups:

15-17 (tee from adult tee, except on holes with beginner/advanced tee pads)
12-14 (tee from adult tee on shortest holes, tee from ? on long holes)
9-11 (tee from ?)
Under 9 (tee from ?)

I need some input! We are hosting a Big/Little Doubles tournament this Saturday...one player 18+ and one under 18. We are going to split the youth partners into age groups and allow them to tee from advanced positions based on their age. Does anybody have an idea of how far kids in each age range should be able to throw? We are trying to even out the advantage that a 17 year old would have over a 9 year old...

My idea for splitting the age groups:

15-17 (tee from adult tee, except on holes with beginner/advanced tee pads)
12-14 (tee from adult tee on shortest holes, tee from ? on long holes)
9-11 (tee from ?)
Under 9 (tee from ?)

Maybe just use %'s. 15-17, 80% of adult yardage, 9-11, 70% of Adult yardages, 9-11 60% of adult yardages.

My $.02 would be to let "littles" play short tees and "bigs" play long. Unfortunately the 17 yo will stomp the 9 yo, and fun should be had despite the unfairness of the matchup.

Failing that, I would give strokes or mulligans to the younger ones. Maybe give a stroke/mulligan per full 3 years under 18. So the 9 yo would get 3, the 17yo none.

Measuring off new custom tee areas sounds like a nightmare.

Thanks for the helpful replies and input. We have a plan in place, but I am hoping someone that has experience with kids tournaments might chime in just so we would know we are on the right track. I like the % idea...I'm just not sure what the correct % is. I thought one of the big disc golf companies might have a chart of some sort, but I can only find charts based on experience, not on youth age.

We are going to use different color marking flags for the tees...kids will be given a corresponding wrist band at check in. It's a small tournament on a small course...obviously with the Big-Little concept this event is about spending time together and introducing new players to disc golf. However, competing is fun and we want everybody to get that feeling that they contributed to their team.

Any additional helpful input would be appreciated.

Latest posts