• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Great Blue Heron

Navigation is the biggest knock on GBH. Fortunately, they just finished a new sign board by the first tee. Hopefully they provided a legible course map.

Any updates to GBH? Reviews seem pretty rough, mostly navigation related. Also I heard a tornado went thru there a couple weeks ago. I am heading to the races at norwalk this weekend and will be hitting the course so any updates would be greatly appreciated!

Great Blue Heron is my favorite course in Ohio (doesn't hurt that my first ever advanced win, first advanced b-tier win, first open win, and first open b-tier win.. and three more open wins were all there, including a b-tier two weeks ago). I've played Hambrick and Deis as well - GBH is a better course. Navigation is the only issue, and in my eyes it is minor. The course is getting easier and easier to follow over time as paths wear in and signage improves (and it has!).

The big down side is that a few days before the tournament the course WAS hit by a tornado. It ripped through the section pictured above primarily. Course lost a TON of trees, all mature. Once cleared it looks like the course will still play as it did before - only slightly more open thanks to the sheer density and number of mature pines in place. Someone noted the hanging basket - that is gone, and has been since ice took down its tree. Instead they now have a basket mounted on the stump of the former tree, elevated to about 8 foot (reachable to get out discs if you step up on the stump).

Place is overall wonderful. Love it. Legit Par 4 holes, and a TON of risk reward shots abound. Hole 2 is one of the best disc golf holes I've ever played. Over 450 downhill to carry the water, or play safe wide out right. Placement is perfect to make the safe shot still somewhat risky, with the woods coming into play for the forehand/anhyzer up shot. Just so cool. Hole 3 is a blast, and totally unique with the way that the hillside plays directly in front of the tee. The last hole 21/24 depending on the layout played requires that water carry... The deuce holes through the back are all really well designed.

This course has gone through NUMEROUS redesigns and I played Fire in the Sky last week with some guys who hadn't been there since 2005 - they acknowledged that it isn't even remotely the same course anymore. It has been a constant organic improvement that has paid off. It was frustrating for a while hitting it up to see a new design every year, but the changes were all worth it.

As evidenced by their new signage - the current layout is one they are finally satisfied with. Barring much more weather damage, the course is in its final(ish) layout.

Great Blue Heron is my favorite course in Ohio (doesn't hurt that my first ever advanced win, first advanced b-tier win, first open win, and first open b-tier win.. and three more open wins were all there, including a b-tier two weeks ago). I've played Hambrick and Deis as well - GBH is a better course. Navigation is the only issue, and in my eyes it is minor. The course is getting easier and easier to follow over time as paths wear in and signage improves (and it has!).

The big down side is that a few days before the tournament the course WAS hit by a tornado. It ripped through the section pictured above primarily. Course lost a TON of trees, all mature. Once cleared it looks like the course will still play as it did before - only slightly more open thanks to the sheer density and number of mature pines in place. Someone noted the hanging basket - that is gone, and has been since ice took down its tree. Instead they now have a basket mounted on the stump of the former tree, elevated to about 8 foot (reachable to get out discs if you step up on the stump).

Place is overall wonderful. Love it. Legit Par 4 holes, and a TON of risk reward shots abound. Hole 2 is one of the best disc golf holes I've ever played. Over 450 downhill to carry the water, or play safe wide out right. Placement is perfect to make the safe shot still somewhat risky, with the woods coming into play for the forehand/anhyzer up shot. Just so cool. Hole 3 is a blast, and totally unique with the way that the hillside plays directly in front of the tee. The last hole 21/24 depending on the layout played requires that water carry... The deuce holes through the back are all really well designed.

This course has gone through NUMEROUS redesigns and I played Fire in the Sky last week with some guys who hadn't been there since 2005 - they acknowledged that it isn't even remotely the same course anymore. It has been a constant organic improvement that has paid off. It was frustrating for a while hitting it up to see a new design every year, but the changes were all worth it.

As evidenced by their new signage - the current layout is one they are finally satisfied with. Barring much more weather damage, the course is in its final(ish) layout.

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I feel much better now :hfive: very much looking forward to playing it Saturday

It's a decent course,but there are much better courses in n.e.ohio.Nothing special at this course,and no holes I would consider signature holes.

It's a decent course,but there are much better courses in n.e.ohio.Nothing special at this course,and no holes I would consider signature holes.
Seriously? Do you play this game? I hope you don't consider Spiker or Lincoln better. I could ALMOST give you Roscoe. The only thing that those courses have on it may be flow... and all three of them have places you could lose track of where you're going.

Seriously? Do you play this game? I hope you don't consider Spiker or Lincoln better. I could ALMOST give you Roscoe. The only thing that those courses have on it may be flow... and all three of them have places you could lose track of where you're going.

I play quite often. I think there are a few better courses in ne ohio,than gbh.

Lincoln (massilon)- way better
Portage Lakes- can't even begin to compare the two,gbh pales in comparison.
Punderson-same as above

Roscoe,and spiker both are very over rated. Spiker is just wide open boring holes,and roscoe gets credit just because of it's history,and who plays,or played there,no real stunning holes or anything special. Plus it lost holes 8&9.

I might go as far and say that Parma,and Warren are better than gbh also.

Gbh is a decent course but saying it's the best in ohio is just crazy talk.I didn't even list courses south of akron if I did I could easily add a lot more better plays than gbh.

Last edited:
I promise if someone can answer this I will not interrupt the bickering anymore:p
Sadly I don't know of any locals that post here. Look up Dustin Brummitt on DiscGolfScene - he is basically the BMOC for their local group.

I play quite often. I think there are a few better courses in ne ohio,than gbh.

Lincoln (massilon)- way better
Portage Lakes- can't even begin to compare the two,gbh pales in comparison.
Punderson-same as above

Roscoe,and spiker both are very over rated. Spiker is just wide open boring holes,and roscoe gets credit just because of it's history,and who plays,or played there,no real stunning holes or anything special. Plus it lost holes 8&9.

I might go as far and say that Parma,and Warren are better than gbh also.

Gbh is a decent course but saying it's the best in ohio is just crazy talk.I didn't even list courses south of akron if I did I could easily add a lot more better plays than gbh.
I haven't played Portage or Punderson - so I can't judge those. The fact that you agree with me that Roscoe and Spiker are a bit overrated is a good thing in your favor. But I absolutely can't give you Lincoln being way better. Lincoln isn't bad by any means - I enjoyed it a lot and it treated me very very well when I played it at the 09 Hall of Chains (and the local that picked up my cell phone and was nice enough to mail it back to me proved good people play there) ... but seriously? It really is just a fun course.

What about Deis Hill vs Great Blue Heron? I really enjoyed Deis but GBH was easily better.

I think gbh is a pretty good course, but I agree that portage lakes is way better and punderson is the cant miss course in NE Ohio. I played deer lakes and moraine for the first time today and I like punderson better than both of them.

just played GBH and I have to say I was disappointing. Many holes had nice layouts but just attempting to find them really took away from it. Several are such a guessing game, and when you do find the tee it can be difficult to know what basket your throwing at, especially the ones missing tee signs or have miss marked holes. Several holes are gone due to the tornado, and that is understandable but just the general flow of the course needs some work. Maybe I am spoiled with my home course being world class, but I think a little extra effort could make GBH into a nice course.

just played GBH and I have to say I was disappointing. Many holes had nice layouts but just attempting to find them really took away from it. Several are such a guessing game, and when you do find the tee it can be difficult to know what basket your throwing at, especially the ones missing tee signs or have miss marked holes. Several holes are gone due to the tornado, and that is understandable but just the general flow of the course needs some work. Maybe I am spoiled with my home course being world class, but I think a little extra effort could make GBH into a nice course.

So true. With all the course changes,why are people still getting lost on the course? This should have been addressed long ago.

GBH is probably one of the worst flowing courses in Ohio.My advice would be pull all baskets wipe the slate clean and start over with a whole new design.

Unless I hear of a revamp (done right) I won't be going back.
You've been playing less than a year - I can see how you wouldn't appreciate the holes on the course.

I understand the flow issues at some points. From hole 6-7 and 7-8 are rough. You were warned that there were some flow issues though - if you didn't print out and take a course map that's your own fault!

I can't speak for the entirety of the tornado-wrecked stretch, there's a total excuse for that - a bleeping tornado ran through it. :p Baskets are moved all over the place in there. I hope you didn't expect that 9 hole stretch to work perfectly! They've moved multiple baskets all over the place just to get a course the locals can play every day! You expected the baskets to all be in the right place after that?

:p But overall - seriously - some baskets are going to be tough to find, the place has a bunch of par 4s, and another handful that are only par 3s for Open players and the most skilled Advanced players.

So true. With all the course changes,why are people still getting lost on the course? This should have been addressed long ago.
Because they're clueless? Seriously you have trouble finding your way around the course? I have sent MANY MANY friends there for the first time, without me, on their own. And never have I heard such vociferous complaints as yours and Daubers. You guys are astounding me.
GBH is probably one of the worst flowing courses in Ohio.My advice would be pull all baskets wipe the slate clean and start over with a whole new design.
Out of curiosity - whats your golf line D? And yes, it matters.

Followup question: How much herb did you smoke before you played?

I'm going to go hole by hole.
Hole 1 to Hole 2 - The tee sign on hole 1's teepad tells you where to go to get to hole 2. No excuse.

Hole 2 to Hole 3 - There is only one trail off of 2's green to another tee. You can't get lost there.

Hole 3 to hole 4 - There is only one trail off of 3's green to another tee. You can't get lost there.

Hole 4 to hole 5 - Its a 50 foot walk to get to the next basket. Hole 4's tee sign mentions where to go to get there.

Hole 5 to hole 6 - There is only one teepad within 200 feet. And the path to it is clear as day.

Hole 6 to hole 7 - Trouble. Tee sign DOES tell you what direction to go, though. If you keep walking - you'll find it. But thats a tough spot.

Hole 7 to hole 8 - Exactly the same situation as 6-7.

Hole 8 to hole 9 - There is one trail off of 8's green to 9.

Hole 9 to hole 10 - Not at all immediately obvious, but the tee sign points you in the correct direction.

Hole 10 to hole 11 - There is one trail off of 10's green to 11.

Hole 11 to hole 12 - There is one trail off of 11's green to 12.

Hole 12 to hole 13 - Tee sign inadequate, but there is only one teepad within a few hundred feet, about 75 feet left of the basket.

Hole 13 to hole 14 - Easy to get confused, though the tee sign on 13 DOES tell you what direction to walk.

Hole 14 - Hole 15 and the entire stretch through 23 - A TORNADO RIPPED THROUGH HERE. EVERY SINGLE ISSUE HERE IS TOTALLY EXCUSABLE! NOTHING IS IN ITS CORRECT PLACE. BECAUSE A TORNADO RIPPED THROUGH HERE.

Hole 23 to hole 24 - Tee sign points you off in the correct direction but it IS a 100+ foot walk to get there, so it could be confusing.

I am not at all sure where the crap you guys are getting lost at. Do you pay any attention at all while you play disc golf? You can't expect someone to hold your hand and baby you through every round you play on a strange new course.