• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Great Blue Heron

I think there are a lot of courses in the directory that in spite of awesome design, aren't getting the review scores that they could be because of "navigation issues".

I also personally feel that out of town one time players over value navigation, and home town players who play a course often and don't really need such navigational aids under value it. People in both camps should really consider how they'd feel if the shoe were on the other foot.

I'm just trying to figure out what the navigation issues with this course are. Every tee sign tells you where to go after the next basket. There are a couple of areas where that means walking blindly in a direction, because of scattered groves of bushes, to find the tee behind one 75+ feet away. But the tee sign points you in the right direction and if you keep going you can't miss it. Hole 6-7 is the only bad one because you need to make a right turn around the corner of some schule at about 75 feet... but even that is IMMEDIATELY around the corner.

I'm definitely not a GBH local, I play it 2 weekends out of the year.

I can understand the navigation issues at the moment due to the fact that they aren't going to redesign all of their tee signs to account for the fact that many baskets are temporarily displaced due to a tornado ripping through. But otherwise? The signage is all there. A few greens even have low sitting red wooden arrows pointing you onward to the next pad.

I think there are a lot of courses in the directory that in spite of awesome design, aren't getting the review scores that they could be because of "navigation issues".

I also personally feel that out of town one time players over value navigation, and home town players who play a course often and don't really need such navigational aids under value it. People in both camps should really consider how they'd feel if the shoe were on the other foot.

Sometimes it's hard to tell how much a rating is actually affected by any of the individual points in the review. I can only speak for myself, but I make a real point to mention navigation in my reviews. It's something important for me to know when I'm traveling and it's something I certainly think is useful for the people who need the info in reviews most (folks who have played the course several times don't need to read reviews to find out what the course is like).

All that said, I might spend a whole paragraph in my review talking about something that doesn't even move my rating, or only matters in really borderline cases. I understand that it's a much smaller part of designing a good course than the actual hole design, but it still can take away from the enjoyment of a round.

I agree highly with your last paragraph there, mashnut. I feel like the most important part of the review is giving the reader the opportunity to understand your experience on the course. Sometimes a huge part of your experience was something that in the end doesn't even drive your rating. It adds color and memory to what you're expressing. You have to mention amenities, flow, navigation, difficulty, of course... but the primary purpose should be letting the reader know what he or she will experience on the course.

Latest posts