• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Greetings from the 304...

Otherwise known as Almost Heaven.

I'm a Hokie at heart but take pride in the 304...even though it gets bashed constantly, and sometimes, deservingly so.

I'm a middle aged total newb to the disc slinging golf game but once had a really good club swinging golf game. I participate in tons of other gamery such as, well, golf, pickleball, tennis, bowling, mountain bike riding, road bike riding, hunting, fishing, eating and enjoying great bourbon and fine cigars.

Seeing a gentleman playing disc golf on the beach this past summer peaked my interest in the game. Then, I noticed a disc golf course at the local college which, upon further investigation, was designed by a gentleman that is/was a member on this forum. Never met him though. He has also designed two or three other courses within a short drive of my house.

As of now, I have never played this game but have purchased several discs through various websites after lots of studying. Also, I bought a disc basket that will get lots of practice in both my backyard and at the inlaws 67 acre farm...been thinking mightily about using said basket and creating a few rough practice holes...it has some nice wide trails through the wooded part of it that would make for some awesome fun.

Anyway, that's my disc golf experience to this point.

Personally, I've been married to a wonderful woman for the past 13.5 years. We don't have any human children but we have a cat and a dog that we treat as our kids, without the tax exemptions, of course.

Just thought I'd give you folks a brief rundown of me and who I am...

Welcome. I'm middle aged and new myself - started at the beginning of last year. You really jumped all in grabbing a basket before even playing a round, huh?
What discs did you get?

Welcome, sir. I imagine the 304 just might have some fairly stellar courses. Just a guess, but an informed one.

It's fun in here. And if I may offer one small piece of unsolicited, but indespensible advice? Put on your Thick Skin suit. :D

Some folks either pull no punches, or have no couth. Only you can be the judge of how that particular wind blows.

Enjoy the road you've recently embarked upon. I envy you, in a way. Except for the whole cat thing. They are terrible at retreiving discs, man.

Cheers!

Welcome fellow 304 Hokie!

I'm currently at the far north of the 304. Welcome to the game. Seth Burton memorial DGC and Orange Crush are must plays in the area. Hope to see you there some time!

Welcome from the 303.

Weird that the 303 and 304 are separated by a fair amount of real estate.

Welcome. I'm middle aged and new myself - started at the beginning of last year. You really jumped all in grabbing a basket before even playing a round, huh?
What discs did you get?

I'm a firm believer of "go big or go home". LOL

I bought three discs from two brands, Discraft (Heat, Buzzz, Roach) and Innova (TL3, Mako3, Aviar Classic) for starters. Going to throw and see what works and doesn't work. Then I'll add from there.

Welcome, sir. I imagine the 304 just might have some fairly stellar courses. Just a guess, but an informed one.

It's fun in here. And if I may offer one small piece of unsolicited, but indespensible advice? Put on your Thick Skin suit. :D

Some folks either pull no punches, or have no couth. Only you can be the judge of how that particular wind blows.

Enjoy the road you've recently embarked upon. I envy you, in a way. Except for the whole cat thing. They are terrible at retreiving discs, man.

Cheers!

I'm sure there are some nice courses in WV, I've got several within an hours drive in WV and a bunch more within a 90 minute drive in VA.

Trust me, I have thick skin and often speak my mind as I expect others to do.

Don't talk bad about my cat. My little buddy is almost 19 years old and was quite the paper ball retriever when he was younger.

I'm currently at the far north of the 304. Welcome to the game. Seth Burton memorial DGC and Orange Crush are must plays in the area. Hope to see you there some time!

Far north of WV? I suppose you're one of those Mountaineer fans. LOL

I'm in the far south, where the interstate comes through the tunnel from Virginia. Very rarely make it up north, do most of my traveling in VA and NC. Although, after some practice, I may venture up the turnpike to participate in those events you mentioned.

I'm sure there are some nice courses in WV, I've got several within an hours drive in WV and a bunch more within a 90 minute drive in VA.

Lots of fine disc golf in WV. Have you checked out the "browse map" feature for courses yet?

An hour's drive to play disc golf? How soon will you be moving closer to a course (or building your own)? :D

Anyway, welcome from a fellow old guy and mid-Atlantic denizen.

Welcome from the 303.

Weird that the 303 and 304 are separated by a fair amount of real estate.

Oh, a little Rocky Mountain high...well, at least we both are in the mountains. Never been to Colorado, I don't do the snow skiing thing. But I would partake in the trout fishing.

Lots of fine disc golf in WV. Have you checked out the "browse map" feature for courses yet?

An hour's drive to play disc golf? How soon will you be moving closer to a course (or building your own)? :D

Anyway, welcome from a fellow old guy and mid-Atlantic denizen.

I've looked at the map some. I didn't mean the nearest course was an hour away, I've got a course five minutes from my house and two more within a 15 minute drive. I was saying there are quite a few in WV within an hours drive. As for building my own, I've got plenty of land to work with at my inlaws farm.

As for building my own, I've got plenty of land to work with at my inlaws farm.

Nice! If you do get the urge to create a course at your in-laws, start by playing as many good courses as possible. You will see all sorts of inventive ways to design challenging disc golf holes.

And playing new courses can be quite addictive . . .

Nice! If you do get the urge to create a course at your in-laws, start by playing as many good courses as possible. You will see all sorts of inventive ways to design challenging disc golf holes.

And playing new courses can be quite addictive . . .

I may not have played any yet but I've watched a ton of videos on Youtube. There are some truly amazing disc golf courses. Got lots of ideas from those.